Employment quandary— need some thoughts (1 Viewer)

krafticus

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
15,493
Location
Ellicott City, MD
Just looking for some advice from you guys and gals. First off, nobody needs to say sorry, or anything negative.. it’s part of the world I live in.

I’m a contractor supporting IT (ERP) solutions. Last year, I left a job as a full time employee of one company to start my own company and go 1099. I actually came back to the previous company that I had left, but as a sub-contractor now. This project I’m on has been here for the past 15 years. We just found out that as of 12/7, it’s over. Some of the full time people will be moving to another project, the subs(the more knowledgeable people) aren’t. That puts me out of work…. Sort of.

Our contract is over as the product we support is going to be replaced. The new product that has been selected has not been released as of yet. The government has been tight lipped on which product will be selected. We are supposed to find out on 11/17.

Here is my quandary. If one of the products wins, I have a 90% chance to move to that project, pending the rates. It’s not a guarantee. It’s a slow starting project, but should be a 10 year minimum project. I’m the meantime, my old company wants me back as a 1099. The rate would be roughly the same as I’m at now (give or take $5/hr).

If I wait until the 17th to find out, I may be let down by either the lack of positions or low rate. If I take the other job(which is ok, but I struggled with the work), I can start in 2-3 weeks. My ideal landing place would be the new contract (only if the 1 vendor wins it).

Which direction do I go. It’s nice knowing a I have a guaranteed position, so I’m not going to be out of work. Do I hold out till the 17th and then see? If my clearance transfer process goes slow, I could be out for a week or more. So I take the guarantee, and bust my ass to make it work??

I’m open for advice…

Mark
 

JMC9389

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2019
Messages
9,618
Reaction score
17,872
Location
NJ
It depends on your life situation right now. Could you and your family survive a couple of weeks without your income? And could you find other work easily? If the answer is yes to both, I'd gamble and try to go with the job that gives you the most fulfillment.
 

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Joined
Nov 10, 2014
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
16,709
Location
The Black Hills
I'm probably coming from a unique position, so keep that in mind when evaluating my advice. Specifically, my world/business/employment/etc was all turned completely upside down the last 18 months because of Covid policies and I had to adjust and adjust quickly. I'm not going to get into the politics of those policies (as it has no bearing here), but I will say the last 10 months have been some of the most exciting and refreshing of my life.

I have absolutely no idea what's next for me and my family, and I've come to actually enjoy it. I have a secure part-time position which has somewhat of a cap on income, but the extra time allows me to explore other things, and that's been incredibly exhilarating.

Where I'm going with all this is... I would wait until 11/17 for the position you want. It sounds like you're passionate about the roll and that it's worth the risk. If that doesn't work out and the other positions are not available at that time, it sounds like you have a skillset that is in high enough demand that you can secure employment almost anywhere relatively quickly. And with the insane amount of staff shortages around the country, you'd probably land something quick.

Over the last 2 years I've come to embrace risk. It can be enjoyable, so long as it's mitigated. We're not talking about walking along the roof top of a 70-story building with no safeguards... we're talking about possibly having to look for work again.

There are a helluva lot worse things to experience in life. Just my $0.02.

EDIT: And I agree with @JMC9389 - only take the risk if you have some financial safey-net!
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
6,202
Reaction score
14,493
Location
Fredericksburg, VA
When I was younger, I would have gone for the job I wanted regardless of the financial risk. Interestingly enough, I'm much more financially secure now, so could weather the financial impact of being wrong better, but it's the mental toll that would be more difficult. When I was younger I felt invincible. I'm in a comfortable place in life now, thus I take the comfortable option. I would weigh the mental impact of being wrong (and the toll it might take on my wife) as much as the financial impact.

Just my two cents my friend.

BEST OF LUCK!!
 

jpietrella

4 of a Kind
Joined
Sep 17, 2020
Messages
5,319
Reaction score
13,745
Location
Boston, MA
I was in a similar position a few years ago. Things are different now because of COVID but the IT field is always in demand.

I'd go for/wait for the job you want. Long-term benefits outweigh the safe play. If it doesn't work out, it sounds like you'll likely be able to find something else with some effort.

Another option: could you keep the other job on the hook for 2 more weeks until you find out definitively about the job you want?

The dickhead move is to accept the job you don't want, find out what's up on 11/17 and then either stay or leave based on what happens. But, I'm an asshole.
 

kirchhausen

Flush
Joined
Nov 6, 2014
Messages
1,844
Reaction score
3,456
Location
Edgewater, Md
In all seriousness, even though I can degen at the table I'm a life nit. I guess it depends on backup plan. If you decide to wait until 11/17, and it falls through, will the old company still want you back? Can you push that decision until then? If not do you have any other fallback options? Is your line of work in high demand? These are all questions I'd ask myself, and make my decision accordingly.
 

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
10,152
Reaction score
33,985
Location
Finksburg, maryland USA
Not putting peoples business out there but I believe @BigChief may have some helpful insight here.

Good Luck Mark, at least if nothing else... after we get your basement pulled, you can come be an Electrician! Lol

I agree with @Seeking Alpha Social Club I want secure and stable personally. I think I would hold out for the 17th... if the right company gets it and you get a job! We can celebrate at the bar! If they don't... well... we can still go drink at the bar. (I know not the time for humor, but I am a dumb electrician)
 

Highli99

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2018
Messages
6,443
Reaction score
13,510
Location
Maryland
I’m not in very high demand. My specialty is a dying technology
Don’t sell yourself short! Decades of experience is invaluable and legacy systems tend to live as long as there are experts who can serve them. Hell, that’s why there is a huge market for old phones because they get used but are hard to replace. Your value goes up which is probably why your company wants you.

Follow your heart on this one. If the company wants you now they are still going to want you November 17 if your plan A doesn’t work out. Do you trust them enough to be open about the situation? I’d respect someone who explained their situation, but I also understand why you might prefer to play it close to the vest. Being a 1099 makes it less sensitive IMO. Hell, do both.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

BTW - is going pro in Scarney an option? I feel like that might be your wheelhouse.
 

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
21,973
Reaction score
37,798
Location
Finksburg, MD
Mark, while I have no advice to give regarding your actual field of work I can speak for the other comments made regarding your overall happiness from your work.
Working a job that is continually stressful or ultimately makes you unhappy will cost way more than financial stability in the long run. If your ultimate goal is to be on board with the potential contract pending 11/17 I would make that your priority.
I agree with the mention above, there is nothing wrong with taking a current offer from your old company for the time being, unless leaving risks your position coming back. I can see where that may close a currently open door for the future though.


If the company wants you now they are still going to want you November 17 if your plan A doesn’t work out. Do you trust them enough to be open about the situation? I’d respect someone who explained their situation, but I also understand why you might prefer to play it close to the vest.
I agree with this^

Have you spoken with someone at the current company about your interests in the new contract?
If you haven't already, express your interest to be on the new contract with the current company. I would also mention that you have another job offer on the table, and while you would prefer to stay the risk of being out of work is a concern. I'm sure most large companies don't care as they can replace employees, but sometimes the right words really sink in with the right people in management. I used to keep alot of my employment concerns to myself, Ben started pushing for me to be more vocal about things and it has made a huge difference with past and present companies. Turns out there are some people in management who do care.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
6,202
Reaction score
14,493
Location
Fredericksburg, VA
I’m not in very high demand. My specialty is a dying technology
So I have a couple of questions, and a statement. Sorry to be direct, but I'm nothing but honest when it comes to careers.

Statement first. I'm certain you're selling yourself short. Companies don't often hire back employees that leave. Yet you got hired back at the first company you left, and now have a chance to go back to the second company you left (if I'm reading this correctly). 2 companies have wanted you back after you left, so clearly you're in demand.

Now question. Why are you reluctant to go back to the company that is offering you a landing spot now? All I saw was, "My ideal landing place would be the new contract (only if the 1 vendor wins it)." But I don't know why? It seems like pay is similar and there is more uncertainty related to the "wait and see" position.

What specifically is worth waiting to see?
 

krafticus

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
15,493
Location
Ellicott City, MD
So I have a couple of questions, and a statement. Sorry to be direct, but I'm nothing but honest when it comes to careers.

Statement first. I'm certain you're selling yourself short. Companies don't often hire back employees that leave. Yet you got hired back at the first company you left, and now have a chance to go back to the second company you left (if I'm reading this correctly). 2 companies have wanted you back after you left, so clearly you're in demand.

Now question. Why are you reluctant to go back to the company that is offering you a landing spot now? All I saw was, "My ideal landing place would be the new contract (only if the 1 vendor wins it)." But I don't know why? It seems like pay is similar and there is more uncertainty related to the "wait and see" position.

What specifically is worth waiting to see?
Of the 2 companies vying for the new product, company 1 will hire us subcontractors, as they know we have deep knowledge of the current processes. Company 2 doesn’t have any working agreements with us subcontractors, so they won’t bring us on.

We don’t know the rates, the start times, and what’s in store, but to work on a new replacement of the current system would be great. We get to build it right, and we understand the business.

As for going back to my last company, I have the inter-personal skills that the young members of the team deeply lack. It’s a new technology to me, and it’s difficult for me to learn. They aren’t hiring me for my technical know how, which could make this a tougher gig. If I do learn it, and learn it well, I could increase my hourly rate by another $30-50/ hr. That’s a year or two away though. (And no, my salary is not based on 2080 hours).

Mark
 

krafticus

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
15,493
Location
Ellicott City, MD
I’ve decided to take the sure thing, and go back to my old position. (Pending rates). I just can’t afford to gamble … but …. If I do well, it could be much more beneficial long term.

Funny thing.. I started at company “A” in 2013. I left to become a sub contractor for company “D”. Left and went rogue for a bit, and came to work for company “D”. Left to go to company “S”. Went back as a sub to company “D”. Company “D” is now becoming a sub for company “A”, and I’m going back to company “S”.

It’s a wicked web where I work.
 

PhilLaFond

Straight
Joined
Apr 12, 2015
Messages
830
Reaction score
810
Location
Island of Misfit Toys-but now retired!
I echo Dennis' thoughts and wishes. Sorry I didn't see this early enough to provide some thoughts, but I think if you're comfortable with your decision then it's likely the right one, knowing you as I do.

I look forward to hearing how things go...

Phil
 

Cliff

Straight
Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Messages
820
Reaction score
1,491
Location
Maryland
I’ve decided to take the sure thing, and go back to my old position. (Pending rates). I just can’t afford to gamble … but …. If I do well, it could be much more beneficial long term.

Funny thing.. I started at company “A” in 2013. I left to become a sub contractor for company “D”. Left and went rogue for a bit, and came to work for company “D”. Left to go to company “S”. Went back as a sub to company “D”. Company “D” is now becoming a sub for company “A”, and I’m going back to company “S”.

It’s a wicked web where I work.
Can you flow chart these moves please. A visual presentation will be much easier to follow.
 

The_dude

Straight
Joined
Aug 16, 2020
Messages
940
Reaction score
2,138
Location
Cali
If there’s growth potential it sounds like you made the right choice
 

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
51,259
Location
Not Idaho.
No, this guy is really exactly who @krafticus needs for all his boro needs.

I’ve decided to take the sure thing, and go back to my old position. (Pending rates). I just can’t afford to gamble … but …. If I do well, it could be much more beneficial long term.

Funny thing.. I started at company “A” in 2013. I left to become a sub contractor for company “D”. Left and went rogue for a bit, and came to work for company “D”. Left to go to company “S”. Went back as a sub to company “D”. Company “D” is now becoming a sub for company “A”, and I’m going back to company “S”.

It’s a wicked web where I work.
Sounds like contract security's job map too..... You hop around alot. I am currently 120 days in at a state job that I've worked at since 2012. And quit twice.
 

RivieraDanny

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2020
Messages
10,245
Reaction score
16,861
Location
Union Grove WI
I mean unless you want to try wrenching Mark!! Lol. Glad you feel comfortable with the choice. That’s what counts!
 

RivieraDanny

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2020
Messages
10,245
Reaction score
16,861
Location
Union Grove WI
No, this guy is really exactly who @krafticus needs for all his boro needs.


Sounds like contract security's job map too..... You hop around alot. I am currently 120 days in at a state job that I've worked at since 2012. And quit twice.
You didn’t quit. You got canned twice. I know it!!
 

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
51,259
Location
Not Idaho.
You didn’t quit. You got canned twice. I know it!!
It's funny because each time they give me a party with cake. Last time the head maintenance tech was like "Third time's not gonna happen!"

Six months later, I walked by him my second day and he was like "THIS IS BULLSHIT"
 

krafticus

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
15,493
Location
Ellicott City, MD
Gotta love the government.

I’m now unemployed. I was set to join my old company, and Tuesday, they lost the contract. I’ve got nothing in the pipeline. To make matters worse, I have to deal with this while home:

A51E2034-7C0A-450F-96F4-44AD4BFA979D.png
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom