Elliptical table journey (1 Viewer)

stonker

Two Pair
Reaction score
I have been wanting to build an elliptical table even since I saw Samoth311's build thread.
So I picked up another conference table and started to make some cuts today.

First thing was to mark centerline in both directions

thumbnail_IMG_3947.jpg

Quick and dirty trammel to layout the elliptical profile

thumbnail_IMG_3949.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0083 (2).png

I know most of you guys do not like a dealer cutout or chip tray but I found when you're 2 to 3 hundred pounds overweight it makes it easier to reach around the table. I like having the chip tray so I can color up tourney chips on the fly.
This is the same template I used on my "boat shaped table" build.

thumbnail_IMG_3952.jpg

Template for chip tray

thumbnail_IMG_3953.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3954 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3956.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3959.jpg

Last edited:
Most likely going with a similar design/theme as my last table.
Elliptical table specs: 46" x 94" before dealer cutout, 5" rail, 7" printed betting line, printed community card area, chip tray and chip drawer.
I just picked up a double claw foot style pedestal table planning on painting the pedestal black.

Capture.PNG

Looking great so far!

I was thinking about upgrading mine with a custom felt with a betting line...but I was a bit worried that it would be difficult to print and install on an elliptical table. I look forward to seeing how your's looks!

Looking great so far!

I was thinking about upgrading mine with a custom felt with a betting line...but I was a bit worried that it would be difficult to print and install on an elliptical table. I look forward to seeing how your's looks!
I don't think installing an elliptical cloth would be any harder than an oval. I followed Chanman’s tutorial on my last build and was very happy with the results.

I’m considering putting led lights in the raised rail. I searched the this forum but did not find a good do’s and don’ts thread.
Has anyone used a flexible channel like in the following link?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Channel-Enclosed-Waterproof-Installation/dp/B07YXM4FFP

Last edited:
I dont think installing an elliptical cloth would be any harder than an oval. I followed Chapman’s tutorial on my last build and was very happy with the results.

I’m considering putting led lights in the raised rail. I searched the this forum but did not find a good do’s and don’ts thread.
Has anyone used a flexible channel like in the following link?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Channel-Enclosed-Waterproof-Installation/dp/B07YXM4FFP
I considered the flexible channel you linked, but ultimately rejected it because I thought that the distance between the LEDs and the diffuser was too small to give me the uniform "glow" look I wanted. That may or may not be an issue for you. I went with acrylic from ATP Plastics. It was a little more difficult to install (use a heat gun to bend the acrylic into a grove) but wasn't really that bad. The price was about the same, I think.

Came across this self contained LED, "neon look", light strip at Costco for less than$40.
I'm thinking of installing this in the raised rail.
Any installation tips, tricks or suggestions would be appreciated for this first time lighting installer.

LED light strip.jpg

When is the game?
It might be a while before this elliptical table is complete. Covid is still kind of kicking my butt and I can only do a little at a time.
I haven't hosted a game in a very long time and wouldn't mind having a game if there was enough interest with the local forum members.

So I quickly realized that my freehand jigsaw skills are lacking. I'm hoping the padded rail hides some of my mistakes.

I faced the riser with black melamine and cut a 3/8" wide x 9/16" deep groove in the middle.
thumbnail_IMG_4019.jpg

The next two pick have the rails upside down so I can verify the clearance on the rope light ends.
The LED rope lights press into the slot.
thumbnail_IMG_4026.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4028.jpg

The playing surface pad is

1/2" Thick "TS Backed" Pleating Pink Sew Foam​

from Your Auto Trim

thumbnail_IMG_4030.jpg

Temp playing surface is an outdoor fabric from Walmart. I may order a custom cloth if I like the way this one plays. Faced the table edge with rubber T-Molding.​

thumbnail_IMG_4033.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4024.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4024.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 125
Thanks @stonker for the pics and video on your LED lights...this is really helpful as I'm currently weighing up between the traditional LED light strip or what they call here 'neon flex' - just like yours, already diffused in a tube (but can look light a neon when shaped).

I was leaning towards this because I have very little distance for diffusion behind my diffuser panel and wanted to avoid the 'hotspots'.

It looks like you didn't need to use a diffuser panel? The style of rope like yours here in Aus is a little different in that the part facing out to the table on yours, is a solid white strip, where the part the light comes out is top and bottom...I think would still work behind another diffuser panel.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/lytworx...VgsuWCh1TcABBEAQYAyABEgITXPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks @stonker for the pics and video on your LED lights...this is really helpful as I'm currently weighing up between the traditional LED light strip or what they call here 'neon flex' - just like yours, already diffused in a tube (but can look light a neon when shaped).

I was leaning towards this because I have very little distance for diffusion behind my diffuser panel and wanted to avoid the 'hotspots'.

It looks like you didn't need to use a diffuser panel? The style of rope like yours here in Aus is a little different in that the part facing out to the table on yours, is a solid white strip, where the part the light comes out is top and bottom...I think would still work behind another diffuser panel.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/lytworx...VgsuWCh1TcABBEAQYAyABEgITXPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
If it’s like the one I used you will need a secondary diffuser if you don’t want to see hotspots.

I don't think installing an elliptical cloth would be any harder than an oval.

I’ve built an elliptical table (a super-ellipse, actually) and was able to stretch fabric over it just fine. It was my first table build, so I made some mistakes, but I don’t think the shape made it harder or easier.

P.S. Saw that you’re using an outdoor fabric temporarily… FWIW, I’ve been very happy with an outdoor fabric I used on both my super-ellipse table and a table topper… It has some texture, cards move well, and it is really easy to clean up with a damp microfiber:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0284284/richloom-solarium-outdoor-rave-indigo

This is a dark solid. Worked great for both the felt and the rail. Richloom Solarium comes in many colors and also patterns, but I thought the patterns were too busy for poker. I don’t like to distract from the chips and cards.

I’ve bought it online, but have sometimes found it at Joann Fabrics.

P.S. Saw that you’re using an outdoor fabric temporarily… FWIW, I’ve been very happy with an outdoor fabric I used on both my super-ellipse table and a table topper… It has some texture, cards move well, and it is really easy to clean up with a damp microfiber:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0284284/richloom-solarium-outdoor-rave-indigo

This is a dark solid. Worked great for both the felt and the rail. Richloom Solarium comes in many colors and also patterns, but I thought the patterns were too busy for poker. I don’t like to distract from the chips and cards.

I’ve bought it online, but have sometimes found it at Joann Fabrics.
The outdoor fabric I purchase from Walmart is only $5/yd. The cards slide really good and water does not transfer thru. It's very durable and cleans up nicely.
The only problem that I have with it is it's a little rough to the touch. I'm a sensitive guy and shuffling/dealing on it all night long starts to bother me. I have played on a couple suited speed cloth tables and was not crazy about the feel of them as well.

The outdoor fabric I purchase from Walmart is only $5/yd.

Do you know the brand and name? I’m curious to check some out.

As far as price, I don’t worry so much about that when it comes to felt. The difference between $5/yard and $10/yard for 3.5 yards of fabric is $17.50… Considering how important the surface is to gameplay, and the more substantial costs of other table components, I think felts are a good place to splurge.

But if the $5 stuff works for you, of course no reason to spend more!

Last edited:
Do you know the brand and name? I’m curious to check some out.

As far as price, I don’t worry so much about that when it comes to felt. The difference between $5/yard and $10/yard for 3.5 yards of fabric is $17.50… Considering how important the surface is to gameplay, and the more substantial costs of other table components, I think felts are a good place to splurge.

But if the $5 stuff works for you, of course no reason to spend more!
I think this is what I used - SHASON-TEXTILE-PRO-TUFF-OUTDOOR-FABRIC
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SHASON-T...RIC-BLACK-By-The-Yard/797594598?selected=true
Looks like 3 yards is only $8 if I'm reading it right
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Yards-Shason-Textile-Pro-Tuff-Outdoor-Fabric-Black-58-60-quot/165915930

Its a really good option if you don't mind the roughness

Wrapped the rail with 1”, 65 lb foam from YAT along with a layer of headliner.

I’m looking for advice on mounting the whisper vinyl. I purchased a 8’ long pc of vinyl when I was planning on making a 7’ table. My plans changed, this table is about 8’ long with the foam. Can I slit the vinyl to get a little more length out of it and if so where do you recommend I make the slices?

B0485843-7553-4091-951F-A37BF0F31788.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, very interesting build! You really went down your own path for numerous things. How to you like the surface foam that you got? Not many people go with 1/2" foam. And, how do you like the way that LED lighting turned out without another diffuser in front of it? I like the idea of an elipse shape, seems to make a lot of sense, the table looks great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom