Electrical upgrade for the poker apartment (1 Viewer)

Around here, we use ground clips. Just a few inches of 14ga wire attached to the new outlet and the clip, shove the clip onto the edge of the metal box, and done. No need to screw into the back of the box. I know Lowe’s has them, not sure about HD.
View attachment 541686
Ground clips work but technically illegal as there is no solid ground path. People use them but if the box has a threaded hole in the back it is much more advised to use an actual ground screw.

For the record stranded wire is perfectly legal with the correct jacket rating. It is just a pain in the ass to use on devices. Solid is much better for this application.

Ground clips work but technically illegal as there is no solid ground path. People use them but if the box has a threaded hole in the back it is much more advised to use an actual ground screw.

For the record stranded wire is perfectly legal with the correct jacket rating. It is just a pain in the ass to use on devices. Solid is much better for this application.
I’m curious how the clip is in less contact with the box than the screw?

The better question is "why trust a clip to never come loose when a 10 pack of ground screws costs one dollar and they are self tapping so you can literally put them anywhere?"

The better question is "why trust a clip to never come loose when a 10 pack of ground screws costs one dollar and they are self tapping so you can literally put them anywhere?"
Most of the houses in my area are built in the 50s...there ain’t a self tapping screw made that will go into those boxes. It just seemed like a lot more work...and once the clip is on, how does it come loose? If you can pull it off, you’ve done it wrong

Most of the houses in my area are built in the 50s...there ain’t a self tapping screw made that will go into those boxes
Then find where all the wiring is so you don't hit it and drill a hole - if that is too hard for me I do have friends that will work for beer :)

Most of the houses in my area are built in the 50s...there ain’t a self tapping screw made that will go into those boxes.
1601240735638.png

Really don't feel I need to defend myself but ok I will play. Box clamps are a spring type tensioning device. Many outlet boxes are in external walls of the residence. This means susceptible to extreme temperature swings. Over time that spring type clamp can loosen and actually loose the ground path. This is why they are not allowed by our NEC.

Any idea what the most common cause of home electrical fires is? The stab in type receptacles that utalize the same technology. Its fast, its quick! Why take an extra minute to wrap conductors around screws? Solid terminations! No chance for a loose hot spot.

Yall can do whatever you like and use whatever you want but when it comes to electricity don't cut corners, take your time and do it correctly. If you don't know hire professionals so you are never standing outside watching your house burn

Really don't feel I need to defend myself but ok I will play. Box clamps are a spring type tensioning device. Many outlet boxes are in external walls of the residence. This means susceptible to extreme temperature swings. Over time that spring type clamp can loosen and actually loose the ground path. This is why they are not allowed by our NEC.

Any idea what the most common cause of home electrical fires is? The stab in type receptacles that utalize the same technology. Its fast, its quick! Why take an extra minute to wrap conductors around screws? Solid terminations! No chance for a loose hot spot.

Yall can do whatever you like and use whatever you want but when it comes to electricity don't cut corners, take your time and do it correctly. If you don't know hire professionals so you are never standing outside watching your house burn
Sorry, didn’t mean to sound like I was putting you on the spot, was trying to understand how the screw was better.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass brother but I love what I do for a living and like I said, there are a thousand ways to cut corners... I mean I agree why do they continue to make a box clamp if they are not legal??? It puzzles me as well, I don't understand.... they also still make stab in receptacles and wago wire nuts which utalize the exact same crappy technology.... in the world we live in time is money.

I can promise you none of those will ever be used on any of my projects or in my residence. If something seems cheesey or questionable please take the time to at least ask...

Fellow Chipper Ben

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom