EDGE CONDITIONING DIARY. (4 Viewers)

RivieraDanny

Royal Flush
Reaction score

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
38mm? What size do you think they are now.
They look good.
Is it consistent all the way around the chip? Looks like it would be hard to get near perfect.

38mm? What size do you think they are now.
They look good.
Is it consistent all the way around the chip? Looks like it would be hard to get near perfect.
well TRK's are a bit smaller from manufacture, not much, Ill get the micrometer out, but I'm not taking a full mm off in my process. The machine we made insures they stay round so there is no chance of oblonging the chips at all. They stand and roll perfectly after treatment.

Other suggestions I read in other threads mention heating and flattening chips to keep them at 39mm after treatment, but honestly I believe that's a terrible trade off. You hardly notice the difference between 39mm and 38.25 (On the really bad chips). Deep flea bites have to stay in the chips too because you don't want to treat them down to far. A sharp edge with a nick is better than 37.? chips!!! lol

Face shaving is NEVER an option for me. I wont thin a chip, shit some bike tires are thin enough!!

My process works best with chips that will either stand on edge but look shitty or will "almost" stand on edge.

This weekend I'll post some pics of the next experiment edging some real thin chips.. Not sure that's worth the effort but I have to see it for myself!

I'm thinking that a 2 fold grading system may be the deciding factor on expected results:

1-4 on edges
1-4 on thickness

The catch22 here is, some chips come out so good they could be misrepresented as untreated. (Cue the Jurassic Park Theory). And then, there could be problems with some people (and I understand that). However I cannot be the first guy to "cheat" the edges!! And there's 1000 ways I'm sure!
tumblr_nq5lo6evxR1swzy8do1_250.gifv

Last edited:
I was thinking about this earlier. When I first saw Mel's Nevada Club/Lodge $1s I thought that it was very cool and a unique way to bring older chips "back to life". Now, if we are going to think about this in a way of people wanting to get older chips that are really used into a nice presentable look a feel, I'm all for it. As far as people that are going to think these are originally this good condition I believe that it would be a good idea to let those interested that they have been worked on, slightly milled or reduced in circumference and then go on with that.

Don't get me wrong, I love this idea and I would love to own a rack of old school TRKs that have been previously used, but brought back to a very nice condition with a bit of work. I am definitely following this and I'm gonna keep this on my radar as an option. Love seeing people do things others wouldn't ever think of or want to do with a collectible.

This is the most interesting, break-through thread I've seen in a long time. I would be interested in having some chips reconditioned should the service become available.
I agree with the first part wholeheartedly! I wish I could do something so much outside of the typical threads here!! Well done!!!

I wish I could say that barrel 4 was my end result!!!! But sadly it is a mint barrel of these chips for reference. These are mid extreme bike tires. 1 untreated. 2 treated. 3 clean and oil. 4 mint. You can see there is approx 3/4 mm difference treated to mint. Mint is 10th chip down barrel 3.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Like I said before If your OCD in in force for 1/2 MM don't follow this thread. LOL! This is the most extreme case so far.

As long as your set only contains either conditioned or unconditioned chips, you're golden! Pretty spectacular results; I am curious how much work this takes...

I wish I could say that barrel 4 was my end result!!!! But sadly it is a mint barrel of these chips for reference. These are mid extreme bike tires. 1 untreated. 2 treated. 3 clean and oil. 4 mint. You can see there is approx 3/4 mm difference treated to mint. Mint is 10th chip down barrel 3. View attachment 794539View attachment 794545View attachment 794546View attachment 794547
Resurrected Holiday in Reno’s! Wow nice result. @chipinla, what you reckon..?

I think this looks nice and I thought it looked nice when Mel first did it a while back. My view is the same as how I view removing inlays and replacing them with stickers. It looks nice if you intend on keeping them but once they leave the hands of the person reconditioning them there is a chance that they get resold as near mint when they actually are not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom