Economical re-label, "Ballad of Buster Scruggs" theme (1 Viewer)

eightyWon

Straight
Reaction score
I've been kicking around ideas for doing a low-cost custom re-label set while I save for and design CPC's.

One idea is based around re-labeling a set of Outlaw's, themed after the first short story from the movie The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. In the story, our hero plays poker in the "Frenchman's Gulch Saloon". These chips would be styled from signs on the exterior of the saloon itself (as the chips used in the movie are nondescript).

Inspiration stills:

img-9106_orig.jpg

170719_BS_BS_French_Gulch_BS_Kid_00217_RT.jpg

170720_BS_BS_FR_Gulch_BS_Kid_00274_RT.jpg

...and my first mockups for the inlays:

Front:

front.png

Back, option 1:

back1.png

Back, option 2:
back2.png

I'll very likely get help from one of the resident graphic artists to polish and finish the design as I'm far from good at this stuff.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Thoughts on the idea and designs?
2. Who around here is recommended for design work and where can I find out more about their services (I scrolled through the vendors area but it wasn't immediately clear which were graphic artists)?

Thanks!

I don’t think that font in the front is going to work well unless you have more room to space out the letters more. It’s almost unreadable when you shrink it down.

I don’t think that font in the front is going to work well unless you have more room to space out the letters more. It’s almost unreadable when you shrink it down.

Ewww, great point. The goal was to mimic fonts from the movie but I hadn't given legibility at 7/8" much of a thought.

I'll print at size and see how it looks but I'm sure you're right.

Instead of the “FG” can you put the silhouette of the dead guy laying there or a smoking gun or the picture of the storefront or something beside those letters?

I've been kicking around ideas for doing a low-cost custom re-label set while I save for and design CPC's.

One idea is based around re-labeling a set of Outlaw's, themed after the first short story from the movie The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. In the story, our hero plays poker in the "Frenchman's Gulch Saloon". These chips would be styled from signs on the exterior of the saloon itself (as the chips used in the movie are nondescript).

Inspiration stills:

img-9106_orig.jpg

170719_BS_BS_French_Gulch_BS_Kid_00217_RT.jpg

170720_BS_BS_FR_Gulch_BS_Kid_00274_RT.jpg

...and my first mockups for the inlays:

Front:

View attachment 748427

Back, option 1:

View attachment 748428

Back, option 2:
View attachment 748429

I'll very likely get help from one of the resident graphic artists to polish and finish the design as I'm far from good at this stuff.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Thoughts on the idea and designs?
2. Who around here is recommended for design work and where can I find out more about their services (I scrolled through the vendors area but it wasn't immediately clear which were graphic artists)?

Thanks!
Love the idea and you've definitely got the makings of a great inlay. However, I'd say that the back options are a little too busy with all those stars, and that maroon colour you've chosen probably isn't going to work that well with the black background when it comes to printing. And, as @ekricket rightly pointed out, I think a change of font is in order.

“You seen em, you play em” - can you put that on the rolling edge instead? Or around the edge instead of the stars?

Couldn't help myself! The bottom font, Bernier, is actually very similar to the one used on the saloon sign itself:

Picture_20210804_210114402.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom