EBay vetting advice (1 Viewer)

RubberDucky

Sitting Out
Reaction score
When you were buying expensive chips on eBay or online that are no returns what do you do to vet the seller to make sure the deal is straight up and you’re not getting scammed? Maybe I worry too much?

When you were buying expensive chips on eBay or online that are no returns what do you do to vet the seller to make sure the deal is straight up and you’re not getting scammed? Maybe I worry too much?
For eBay, you’re pretty solidly protected - eBay has you covered for scams.
Buying from people here, obviously the longer the member has been around and the more transaction feedback they have, the better. It’s a good idea to engage them in conversation via PM and actually have a dialog with the person to get a feel if they’re legitimate. And it’s also a good idea to make sure the chips are actually listed here in the classifieds for other people to scrutinize (like, if an unknown seller just contacted you out of the blue via PM, I’d be cautious.)

If the product you receive is not as advertised/ pictured eBay has a good track record of making the buyer whole. Additionally I would make sure you pay with a credit card to get a second layer of protection (can separately dispute the charge with your CC company). Note this doesn’t protect you from a seller selling a relabeled chip and not mentioning it’s a fake/reproduction/tribute chip, that’s on the buyer to f understand before purchasing. Asking here or checking on the chip guide is your best bet to ensure what you’re buying is what you think it is.

On eBay it’s really the sellers who should be vetting the buyers because as a buyer your word is taken at face value unless there’s strong evidence to the contrary.

Here the buyer is usually the one taking on risk and it’s not zero risk (ie: poppin) but it’s very rare, and because sellers don’t have to worry about getting scammed they sell for way lower prices here than on eBay. So you’ll come out ahead efen if you do get scammed here once in a blue moon (and I think most of us have never been scammed in hundreds of transactions).

Here the buyer is usually the one taking on risk and it’s not zero risk (ie: poppin) but it’s very rare, and because sellers don’t have to worry about getting scammed they sell for way lower prices here than on eBay. So you’ll come out ahead efen if you do get scammed here once in a blue moon (and I think most of us have never been scammed in hundreds of transactions).
This is an important point...the prices here are almost always cheaper than eBay. If you find a set you like, post a wanted ad in the classifieds, or keep your eye out for upcoming sales.
It also wouldn't hurt to post a question about how many chips your looking to purchase. There's some great advise here from folks that can help you make your money go even further with good breakdowns, etc.
Good luck!

I’m worried about the fakes mostly. Or someone sending something other than what’s in the photo. Can someone else put a set of eyes on these before I pull the trigger? Or is there a certain place in this site I should post this?

Attachments

• 61EC1C8E-BDE1-44DD-934E-0B8277B517D3.jpeg
    61EC1C8E-BDE1-44DD-934E-0B8277B517D3.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 39
As a buyer on eBay, your risk should be very minimal. eBay is buyer friendly in that when a dispute arises, they almost always side with the buyer (ie buyer protection program).
I have sold thousands of items on eBay over the last 10 years, when issues did arise, I went out of my way to make it right with the buyer to avoid being reprimanded or removed from eBay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom