Early in tournament with new guy (1 Viewer)

I'm curious why you would dismiss 55 before raising here? Call pf from sb, donk on the flop set, continue turn seems pretty textbook line for a set. Unless you think that's usually check raise in this guy's case. Tough to say either way with a lack of history/physical read.

Don't get me wrong I am saying this line fits a lot of holdings except pure air, so I don't really fault the raise. I think it's close either way.
It just didn’t feel like it to me. If I caught a set of fives on a flop with an ace and a queen, I might not lead out, for fear of scaring off somebody who’s afraid of the ace.
But, having done that, I’d be betting a lot more on the turn than 650 into a 2000 pot.
I guess it’s a fair question and if I was right all the time, I wouldn’t be surprised laying $80 tournaments. But like I said, it didn’t feel like fives.

1) Effective stacks are probably 19k
2) 50/100
3) Hero is on the button.
4) Small blind is new guy
5) with beard
6) Two linpers, hero on button looks down at :ah::2c: 350 in pot. Action?

Raise to 250. Not a min raise but it suggests "I have something" and might discourage a blind from trying to steal. Yours is no stellar hand, but I'll try and see flops with Ace,Rag more often than not.

7) Hero....raise...To 350.
8) Small calls, folds around.
9) Pot 1000
10) Flop :ac::qd::5h:
11) Small blind new guy bets 500

Top pair. Ok. He defended his small against a difference of 300. I'm guessing a draw hand or a mid pair as his range. My best guesses are two suited to the queen or TT. AQo or 5,5 are remote but real concerns.

I call. Sometimes I might min raise here to get a better idea of where he is but the worry there is he'd jam right back.

Hero is surprised by the donk bet.

50% pot post flop is donk? ;)

12) Hero decides to flat
13) 2,000 in pot
14) Turn: :ac::qd::5h: :2s:
15) Villain bets 650

Two pair. Feeling better but AQo A5o, and 5,5 are still real threats. The turn just smashed flush draws so that's good. Does he come this far on 3,4? I don't think so. smelling like a busted flush and he's making a false value bet. I'd 3x raise to 1950. If you hit your boat, all the better.

16) Hero raises to 1500.
17) Villain calls
18) Pot 5,000
19) River :ac::qd::5h: :2s: :4s:
20) Villain thinks briefly, then checks.

Ugh. He's got SOMETHING and any push here risks him coming over the top. The whole thing smells. I'd check behind.

Raise to 250. Not a min raise but it suggests "I have something" and might discourage a blind from trying to steal. Yours is no stellar hand, but I'll try and see flops with Ace,Rag more often than not.

Personally I prefer hero's sizing if we are going to squeeze here we should size it up to buy some fold equity.

Assuming villian is calling 250 as he did 350 then the bb, and both limpers are getting at minimum 200 to win 500.

350 changes to 2-1 at least instead of better than 3-1.

50% pot post flop is donk? ;)

I always understood the meaning of the term "donk bet" to mean a player betting out of position to the raiser on the previous round.

Alright, enough of the suspense.
His river check gave me a touch of healthy concern. But I was pretty sure aces up were good. And what would call me that I could beat - maybe a good ace? Maybe. But bottom line is that at this point in the tournament, I'm happy raking a healthy pot without risking any more.
I showed my aces up with confidence and he tabled pocket threes for the straight.
I laughed, like yup these things happen. But inside, I was pretty pissed.

LOL!!! Good check.

Villain made mistakes on absolutely everything he did (IMO) with the possible exception of his pre-flop flatting. And even pre, I'm not a supper fan of set mining second to bottom set with two limpers, one raiser and the BB still to act. High likelihood of a 5-way pot or a squeeze from the BB. But I guess I'll call his pre-action passable.

Donk betting with 33 on the flop serves no purpose IMO. On a board that hits Hero's range? Yeah, don't like that. Check/fold is the move.

When he picks up a gutter on the turn, even less of a reason to donk after Hero called his flop donk. So is he expecting to fold Hero's A?

So, not only did he donk, but also called Hero's raise, LOL!! Spewing money...

He hit one of his few outs on the River and checks on a one to a straight board?!?!?! Hero checked top/bottom which implies he "might" be betting only with a minimum of a set there, so not a lot of combos.

IMO, disaster.

I hope you were not telling the story as the Villain @upNdown , LOL!!!

Anyways, thanks for the hand discussion, man...

Yikes, not expecting 33. But now that we know he can do that, we can adjust by raising the flop more often against this villan and going for bigger sizing in general.

But I would have to see a play like this before making that adjustment. The line you took was sensible all the way through. Very unlucky river, Six outers happen.

Okay this is all going to be a stretch and not adicve I would offer, but let's see if I can be the villian's advocate here, just for funsies.

sb pf 3-3.
Button raised, there's two limpers and the bb that might over-flat if I start the train and we're like 190 bb deep, let's mine

On the flop, oh it's heads up, maybe button is pair heavy and hates the AQ flop, I can steal this with a lead.

On the turn, oh crap that didn't work, but now I've picked up a gut shot. Maybe 2 barreling will work, maybe he was sticky with a queen on the flop.

Button raises turn, crap, he has something. Well pot odds shmott odds, I have 6 outs.

River, SCORE! Now I can just go for a check raise. Button guy is never going to see it coming. He's gotta bet.

What do you mean check?

(Aaaaaand, scene!)

That's the best I can do. I think I can get the thinking on the first two streets, but calling the turn raise is just spew, and not betting your own hand on the river where the danger is obvious is just dumb. He probably saved you some money. You might have had to hero with aces up if he led the river.

(And if I personally somehow commit this spew on the turn, I am 100% betting the river.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom