Early CPC Set Design Feedback (1 Viewer)

FestiveKnight

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Relatively early on in my CPC design progress, but wanted to share where I am right now and get some feedback from all you lovely chippers. If you saw my first post on here, I am pretty colorblind and so as I have been seeing the options for how people design sets I have really gravitated towards cali colors because I really like bright colors and a lot of contract. I only get a poker game going a few times a year (which I am hoping to change) but I also want to use this set for board games. To that effect, I was thinking $0.25, $0.50, $1, $5, $10, $20, $100.

I also haven't yet decided on custom labels (probably something themed around my dog, Luka, maybe something like Luka's Poker Club, Luka's Lucky Stars, or just "Luka's") or hot stamping. I am probably 70-30 between the two right now. I do have a color sample from CPC that I have been playing around a lot with in different lighting and with my fiancees help I think I have matched what I was playing around with to the colors in the design tool. I have decided on mold yet. HHR is just a place holder (though I do love it).

Okay, so here are the chips. As I said, I wanted bright colors, with good contrast, and a strong spot progression which could be relied on for differentiating chips too. I am not very happy with the $100 and I can't figure out a color for the $0.25 but otherwise I am not too displeased with it.

index.png

You have a good basis to start from in terms of spot patterns, but I would be concerned about dirty stacks/pots with using Bright White,, DG Peacock and Pink on both the $1 and $5 chips. You're using one of those colors on just about every chip in this line up. Try to mix it up a bit!

I would try to get some red/orange in those chips wherever you see fit.

Make sure you get a color sample from CPC before you order. The orange spot on the pink chip is barely noticeable. Also not sure you need a $.50 and a $10. bulk up on $5's

Some of those colors just don't play well together
I don't know chips design at all, but @krafticus nailed it. I didn't know there was an orange spot on the pinks...had to zoom in to see it.

Make sure you get a color sample from CPC before you order. The orange spot on the pink chip is barely noticeable. Also not sure you need a $.50 and a $10. bulk up on $5's

Some of those colors just don't play well together

Thank you! I have spent a bunch of time just laying the samples over each other, the design tool is deceptive and even with a sample next to me I was mostly living in the digital tool instead of moving clay around.

Yeah basically if it's not what @krafticus says, it's no good. You may want to rethink your very very important color combinations.
Somehow you saying "very important color combinations" shocked me and helped me realize just how much more thinking I had to do and to slow down way more. Thank you, this was much more impactful than you probably intended it, but has pushed me to be much more critical.

I don't know chips design at all, but @krafticus nailed it. I didn't know there was an orange spot on the pinks...had to zoom in to see it.
I do think that the orange shows up on the pink IRL much more than on the designer, but it was a bad mix.

So here's my current mix, which I think is far better. Because I play a variety of different stakes and also board games, I am still keeping the wide range of denoms at 10c, 25c, $1, $5, $10, $20, $100. I would drop the $20 but I really like yellow 20s, even though that's my least favorite of this set right now.

I also think I would probably have some serious dirty stack problems with this, but still a huge step from last go.

Screenshot_2.png

My biggest advice on custom chips is set a chip budget for levels based on your quantities/means. While it is awesome to create exotic chips, the price rises fast as you get "fancy". You may want to consider reserving the more exotic designs for your higher value denoms (or whatever chips are fewer in you set) leaving your more common workhorse 1's/5's etc.... with a simpler design. For my pending order I wanted a large set and so set the limit on myself to stay within LvL 1 designs to fit the idea of an old time underground. Also like in your first design above your .25cent or less likely played chips can easily be solids. The quarter in my CPC slots is brown.

After that debate what it is you want out of a set, the most important thing is that you are happy with it. Can't wait to finally get a hold of the "Primary" set to my Sloth Club collection.

You may also find your design more successful once you have chosen a label design. Otherwise becoming familiar and messing with the tool is fun, and many of us here are guilty of spending a few hours designing chips...

Have you priced these chips at these levels?

Have you priced these chips at these levels?
Yep, I’m certainly no high roller like many of these on here but I have enough cheddar to save up for things like this that I plan to hold onto for a long time.

I used the CPC price calculator that’s on here, because the set straddles some different stakes I’ll probably be getting a lot of chips, so the cost is... high.

still trying to decide if I also want to fork over the cash for a matching theme solids HS tournament set with it. That’ll most likely need to wait for the future.

o here's my current mix, which I think is far better. Because I play a variety of different stakes and also board games, I am still keeping the wide range of denoms at 10c, 25c, $1, $5, $10, $20, $100. I would drop the $20 but I really like yellow 20s, even though that's my least favorite of this set right now.

I would suggest going with a 5c, 25c $1, $5, $20, $100. The next denom should be either 4-5x the previous one. Otherwise you are just ordering extra chips that wont really serve a purpose. with the 5c you can play micro-stakes, the 25c small stakes, and $1 on up is pretty normal. Some people with do $25 to match buy-in but I prefer the $20 as it makes a clear difference between the cash set and the tournament set (which generally starts at T25). If you are really tied to having 7 different types of chips you can always do a $2.50 snapper. And with your pink it will be perfect for it.

I like this set . Why did you break the edge spot symmetry on the black chip, ie tiger, peach , yellow?

Feels a bit disheveled in a set that uses a lot of structure and order. May want to try having those three be the same color and compare.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom