Dumb question : a cohesive set (1 Viewer)

Kid_Eastwood

Full House
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to order my CPC and still question myself about its design.

I've read a lot and I think I got the overall idea of what makes a "cohesive" set from a color point of view.

But sometimes, my untrained eye cannot spot what makes an acclaimed set cohesive.

I'll give 2 examples :
- Paulson ACF tournament
- WSOP secondaries

I know it's a dumb / noobie question but I'd like to read your thoughts on these 2.

Kid

I'm not really sure what's the correct answers, but I think you have to review a lot of set you like and figure out why, then you have to 'play' a lot with the CPC tool and try to find the most cohesive test that you love most...a d you'll need time, never in a hurry with chips :)

For tournament sets, I think a large component of 'cohesiveness' is the ability of the 3 or 4 specific chips in simultaneous play to work well together.

So one must evaluate different groups of chips separately (25-100-500, 100-500-1000, 500-1000-5000, 1000-5000-25000, etc.).

Imo, how ~each~ of those groups work together is more important than the overall cohesiveness of all the chips from top to bottom, some of which will never be in play at the same time.

I think I was looking too narrow then.
I think by cohesiveness, it means pattern likes :

- one spot being a different shade of the base color of the current / next / previous / ... chip
- spot being a complementary or adjacent color of the base color ...
- spots being complementary colors

I was trying to find such patterns in the ACF or WSOP sec line-up in fact.

I did not know this series. I rated the ACF 8 and the WSOP 10 ahah.

I would describe both sets as cohesive, mostly thanks to a simple and uniform spot pattern. The individual chips base colors aren’t anything special but they just work well together and I think that’s what makes a good line up :tup:

I gave the ACF a 6 (mostly because I can’t unsee the dice chips like spot pattern) and the WSOP a 8

Last edited:
I think I was looking too narrow then.
I think by cohesiveness, it means pattern likes :

- one spot being a different shade of the base color of the current / next / previous / ... chip
- spot being a complementary or adjacent color of the base color ...
- spots being complementary colors

I was trying to find such patterns in the ACF or WSOP sec line-up in fact.
I think you are indeed looking too narrow, cohesiveness is the combo of artwork (inlay/HS), base colors & spots, spot configuration.
Something I find hard to define...but some sets are just fantastic in combo.

HSI primary is a set that comes to mind...not the most exotic in base/spot colors & progression but the 5 - 500 is awsome imho.
Other set is the AST rack...all same spot config but the hotstamp & colors make that set shine.

On the other hand, sets were build with the most desirable colors & the most outrageous spot combos....and I did not like 'm.

Colors have different characteristics (warmth, brightness, lightness, etc) and materials have different opacities and characteristics. Using colors that have largely the same characteristics in the same spots/bases with an outlier that breaks that usage story would create a disjointed lineup. That is a generalization, but there are so many characteristics and possibilities that is difficult to comment beyond that. But that is what comes to mind when talking about tournament set cohesiveness (where spot patterns isn’t a consideration).

For tournament sets, I think a large component of 'cohesiveness' is the ability of the 3 or 4 specific chips in simultaneous play to work well together.

So one must evaluate different groups of chips separately (25-100-500, 100-500-1000, 500-1000-5000, 1000-5000-25000, etc.).

Imo, how ~each~ of those groups work together is more important than the overall cohesiveness of all the chips from top to bottom, some of which will never be in play at the same time.
Great point. When considering how they work together you can look at things like: edge spot progression and complexity (or lack thereof) color relationships (both base color to edge spot and from chip to chip) inlay design, inlay shape (will you have an inlay progression as well?) Generally some of the most iconic designs (not just in poker chips) are remarkably simple, and that’s the challenge. More is not always better but most importantly it’s got to be something you enjoy and appreciate. After all, they’re your chips. Good luck and enjoy the process!!

For me one of the most important parts is that all the chips have similar levels of contrast between the base vs. spot colors. You don’t need to stick to the same spot pattern or color scheme as long as all the chips have relatively same amount of pop. For example you could have split complementary colors on one chip and analogous on another, but would need to ramp up the dark/light aspect of the colors on the latter to achieve a similar look of contrast.

Last edited:
For me one of the most important parts is that all the chips have similar levels of contrast between the base vs. spot colors. You don’t need to stick to the same spot pattern or color scheme as long as all the chips have relatively same amount of pop. For example you could have split complementary colors on one chip and analogous on another, but would need to ramp up the dark/light aspect of the colors on the latter to achieve a similar look of contrast.

This makes a lot of sense to me !
Thanks for this input.

Colors have different characteristics (warmth, brightness, lightness, etc) and materials have different opacities and characteristics. Using colors that have largely the same characteristics in the same spots/bases with an outlier that breaks that usage story would create a disjointed lineup. That is a generalization, but there are so many characteristics and possibilities that is difficult to comment beyond that. But that is what comes to mind when talking about tournament set cohesiveness (where spot patterns isn’t a consideration).

I'd listen to this guy. @Eloe2000 wrote the book on cohesive sets when he created the Casa Mangos :love:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom