Dug's Poker Pit: My first custom set (2 Viewers)

Dugthefish

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
So I joined yall not long ago, solely for the purpose of hitting the marketplace to add on to my stock Venerati chipset. A few short months later, I am designing a full blown custom chip set. My game has been running for over 15 years, and we've spent the last 13 playing in my basement. In that span of time, we've gone from Walmart dice chips, to a slightly better set of slugged plastic chips, to my current stock ceramic set. Now, unable to expand due to the nosedive over at Sidepot, I have decided to pull the trigger on my very own set.

My goals are to have a classic, classy, low key set that could be found in any real cardroom. Full denoms in standard colors. Progressive edge spots. After handling samples from several suppliers, I have decided on PolyClay from Sun-Fly, in the diamond mold. Although they are ceramics, I want to imitate compression clay chips and I feel the PolyClays can do a good job. Faces and edgespots will be aligned.

I run a regular NL game, usually $.25-.50, occasionally $1-2. I would like to have a full complement of standard denominations available for this game. I also run fixed limit mixed games from time to time. I would like this game to use a single $1 chip, so I am strongly considering having a $20 chip as well; I don't think a $25 would play well in a single chip game.

All comments, questions, and criticisms welcome. Currently in the process of adapting CPC colors to SunFly colors and evaluating edge spot design. So, without further ado, I present my first draft.

NL draft 1.png

FL draft 1.png

I will add, I have strong design assistance from a fellow PCFer. I'll let him claim credit (or responsibility) when he so chooses.

Congrats on making the leap to customs. I really like the inlay design and it aligns to your vision of classic, classy and low key. +1 for the watermark effect.

Really like the $100. Reminds me of the Casablanca $100 and it doesn't have too many different colours.

Some great chips, with some high levels!

The red spot on your $5 will be pretty hard to see. Perhaps maroon would be a better option.
Ya, I couldn't even come close to these levels with a CPC set, which is why I'm going dye sub lol.

Still have color tweaking to do, but duly noted on the red chip. Thanks for your input!

Cool set. I can certainly tell you put a lot of work into it so far. I always feel weird in these threads because you should get what you like. For me though I like the $100 a lot. I can see what you're going for with all of the edgespot colors and variations, but for me it does the opposite. Too much going on overwhelms, while the simple hits on the hundreds make them pop. Simpler would also align with your statements above of something classic, but you're definitely on to something

Congrats on making the leap to customs. I really like the inlay design and it aligns to your vision of classic, classy and low key. +1 for the watermark effect.

Really like the $100. Reminds me of the Casablanca $100 and it doesn't have too many different colours.
The 100 is one of my favorite edge spots. Only sad part is it probably won't see much time on the felt!

Cool set. I can certainly tell you put a lot of work into it so far. I always feel weird in these threads because you should get what you like. For me though I like the $100 a lot. I can see what you're going for with all of the edgespot colors and variations, but for me it does the opposite. Too much going on overwhelms, while the simple hits on the hundreds make them pop. Simpler would also align with your statements above of something classic, but you're definitely on to something
Colors are definitely subjective, but I get what you're saying. Thanks for the input!

The 100 is one of my favorite edge spots. Only sad part is it probably won't see much time on the felt!
I feel the same way about the $100s in my sets... sometimes I feel they are there more for set completion and looks than actually getting into play.

I love 1 and 5 $ chips, the rest is to colorful for my taste
Well, that's what I was going for! Subdued on the workhorse chips and flashy on the high denoms and fracs. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
I need help with my limited vacabulary... What is te word in English to describe something that has many colors, so bright that hurts your eyes... In Polish we say "oczojebny"

Another thing is that watching most of mockups on PCF I came to conclusion that people like to play with designing software on CPC without regard to pricing for more complicated spots variations.
If you can afford it kudos to you.

I need help with my limited vacabulary... What is te word in English to describe something that has many colors, so bright that hurts your eyes... In Polish we say "oczojebny"

Another thing is that watching most of mockups on PCF I came to conclusion that people like to play with designing software on CPC without regard to pricing for more complicated spots variations.
If you can afford it kudos to you.
Why I'm going ceramics and not CPC!

1 and 5 looks crisp, nice job. :tup: :tup:
Have to agree that the higher denoms have too many colors going on, but it's your set =)

I think you have absolutely nailed the 1, 5, 25, and 100 as they are.

I am a little concerned about the 20 as a quarter pie. It's probably fine if you are only going to use it with singles for a limit set, but if it would see big-bet cash play I am concerned about the purple clashing with the five and the yellow with the quarter. I think I would prefer a primarily yellow chip here. For the same reason I am concerned about both color choices on the quarter. (And honestly, if you want to get a quarter pie in the set, use the quarter :), and I admit I am partial to purple and gold :p.)

So just some colors to reconsider, but I like this set, I like your inlays, and I like that I can find Clear Lake :).

I think you have absolutely nailed the 1, 5, 25, and 100 as they are.

I am a little concerned about the 20 as a quarter pie. It's probably fine if you are only going to use it with singles for a limit set, but if it would see big-bet cash play I am concerned about the purple clashing with the five and the yellow with the quarter. I think I would prefer a primarily yellow chip here. For the same reason I am concerned about both color choices on the quarter. (And honestly, if you want to get a quarter pie in the set, use the quarter :), and I admit I am partial to purple and gold :p.)

So just some colors to reconsider, but I like this set, I like your inlays, and I like that I can find Clear Lake :).
Thanks for the input. With 25s/100s, I have a bank capacity of almost 4x more than I have ever had on the table at my game. I have no plans to ever go higher than 2-5 (lottery/WSOP ME wins perhaps), with .25-.50 & 1-2 being the usual big bet games.

The 20 will never see action outside of a limit game. As long as it matches the $1 well (and I think it does), it can clash all it wants with the rest.

I like the half pie of the .25. Being so close to MN I may have to change up the colors so no one assumes I am a Vikings fan, so thanks for the heads up there ;)

Every Saturday night, 3 miles off the interstate. We'll have to get you down sometime.

Planned breakdown will be roughly:

200x .25
800-1000x 1
600x 5
200 x 25
160-260x 20
40x 100

Every Saturday night, 3 miles off the interstate. We'll have to get you down sometime.
I am likewise within 3 miles of the interstate, I would love to check these out when you have it. :).

200x .25
800-1000x 1
600x 5
200 x 25
160-260x 20
40x 100

My breakdown for the FRC cash set ended up pretty similar.

200 x 0.10
100 x 0.50 (0.50 instead of 0.25 to reduce the frac count, and to have ante chips for 2/4 stud. Dime chips above stretch the set downward.)
800 x 1 (Will probably do more with my next addon)
550 x 5 (Will probably do more with my next addon)
100 x 20 (For limit, and for my 0.50-0.50 NL game where I principally use singles.)
80 x 25 (occasionally see the felt in my 0.50-1 game, but otherwise unused.)
20 x 100 (never used)

1850 chips (plus 150 for extras and sample sets)

I do like the math of doing 160 * 25 and 40 * 100, that gives you an even 8000. Then you can do one or two full racks of twenties. One rack of twenties should probably be sufficient for the limit games you are targeting.

..... to have ante chips for 2/4 stud.

I do dealer Antes for stud games. Just curious what your per player ante price is. I was thinking 2/4 with a $1 bring in and .50/player dealer ante.

I do dealer Antes for stud games. Just curious what your per player ante price is. I was thinking 2/4 with a $1 bring in and .50/player dealer ante.
That's what I do with individual antes at 2/4 limit. However, there are complications with table antes in cash games with players that take breaks.

If you do decide to do table antes, I assume you would rather round off to a whole dollar. I would suggest just fixing it at 3 if there are 5+ players and reducing to 2 for four or fewer. This approach is probably better than having the ante be 4 when there are eight players in the game, and then two guys go smoke and the next player get to post 3. The last guy that posted 4 kinda gets screwed based on smoking habits.

We did have a thread on this last year (as not to threadjack here):
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/7-stud-ante-fl-help.58675/

After trying table antes, my players ended up preferring individual antes over introducing the complications of table antes and I tend to agree. But as with many things in poker, your mileage may vary and the complications that arise can be dealt with using consistent rules. Just make sure you think about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom