Dremel as a router? (1 Viewer)

stocky

Full House
Reaction score
So I have a table and the rail padding and vinyl needs replacing. The vinyl and foam is attached directly to the playing felt (which will also be replaced) so instead of trying to stuff around with the hassle I thought I'd make a new rail piece to attach to the table.

As I don't really need or want a router I thought I might be able to buy a dremel with a router attachment as it would get used for other things also. And as the table is quite stable I won't be using it for a thick piece of timber.

So has anyone had experience with this?

Also I have a jigsaw for the straight cuts so it's really just for the curves.

Thanks
Paul

Unhelpful post alert! Hmm, unsure Paul. I do own a Dremel but have never used it as a router - I've just got the basic standard cutting base, not the plunge router attachment. I'll grab a rounding router bit tonight on my way home and give it a shot using my standard cutting base and report back just for the heck of it.

With this it might work well (Dremel are a good tool in my experience) but I wonder what the cost will be compared to a cheap (or used) router.

Any videos on youtube which will help answer this?

Unhelpful post alert! Hmm, unsure Paul. I do own a Dremel but have never used it as a router - I've just got the basic standard cutting base, not the plunge router attachment. I'll grab a rounding router bit tonight on my way home and give it a shot using my standard cutting base and report back just for the heck of it.

With this it might work well (Dremel are a good tool in my experience) but I wonder what the cost will be compared to a cheap (or used) router.

Any videos on youtube which will help answer this?

I was planning on getting that attachment haven't found any videos yet.

Get a second hand router from a pawn shop...dremels arent as stable as you need for such a large project.

Pawn shops are crap here. I'll almost spend $100 on something I'll use once. That why I thought I might get away with a dremel as the wife would use it a lot anyway after.

Pawn shops are crap here. I'll almost spend $100 on something I'll use once. That why I thought I might get away with a dremel as the wife would use it a lot anyway after.
Too bad, around here you can get them from $5-$20 at auctions. Check eBay?

I'm a big Dremel fan, but would never use it for building a poker table. It's just not the right tool.

You are better off using a circular saw for straight cuts and a jigsaw (with circle guide, that you can build for cheap) for the curves.

I'm a big Dremel fan, but would never use it for building a poker table. It's just not the right tool.

You are better off using a circular saw for straight cuts and a jigsaw (with circle guide, that you can build for cheap) for the curves.

I struggle making straight cuts with a jigsaw. Don't know how I'd go doing a curve ;)

I think 2nd hand router will be the way to go. I'll just buy one then try and flog it off.

curves with a circle guide or jig are easy-peasy. buy or make one.

Well a new jigsaw blade will definitely cost less than anything else.

I was going to get one made but was quoted $200 :eek:

Oh, I misunderstood. I didn't realise you wanted to use it for cutting right the way through the timber. I assumed it was just for rounding an edge. I'd say definitely use a jig saw too.

BTW, thinking you wanted to use it for rounding an edge, I went to Bunnings tonight to buy a Dremel part #615 (1/8" rounding bit) to give it a shot but the damn thing was $31 ! So I passed since I have an actual router & bits. I was just curious to see how the Dremel would go at the task... not for that price though :eek:

Good luck with your project!

Confirmed Dremel NOT appropriate for cutting lumber. Not strong enough, will break bits, will bind, will generally suck, amd in the end, YOU will break the Dremel (when you smash it on the floor in frustration).

I'm of the opinion that a dremel never the best tool for any job, but does a good enough job with so many tasks that it's great to have around.

The thing I find weird is that @stocky has a jigsaw but doesn't think a router will come in handy in the future. It's the most flexible woodworking tool I own, especially if you count using it in a router table. The router gets used on almost all my projects involving wood.

I'm of the opinion that a dremel never the best tool for any job, but does a good enough job with so many tasks that it's great to have around.

The thing I find weird is that @stocky has a jigsaw but doesn't think a router will come in handy in the future. It's the most flexible woodworking tool I own, especially if you count using it in a router table. The router gets used on almost all my projects involving wood.

I've used the jigsaw once in years. Really just didn't want to buy another tool that will gather dust :)

Dremels are excellent carving tools. Not for any major cutting operations. You can justify owning one.

Dremels are excellent carving tools. Not for any major cutting operations. You can justify owning one.

Woodworking thread and it takes you a MONTH to comment? WTF Bob?

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I just remembered that I have the Dremel router attachment. Used it for one project and never again. It worked fine on plastic.

20160503_002026.jpg

I'm sure a dremel would work fine, just do some light passes. 1/32" depth per pass ought a do it! You would only need 24 passes to get through a sheet of plywood.

There must be a friend who you could ask to borrow their router. Otherwise try to find a cheap 2nd hand router if you can. Maybe even try to sell it again after you've used it.

Hey! Be nice.

Ha ha, only busting yer balls sir, as I know there are few on this site that can top your mastery of the woodworking shop. :)

I honestly recall reading that thread a month ago, and thinking it's only a matter of time before lnlver chimes in.

I've used a dremel routing attachment and a bit many times when working on small items that need a recess cut. For example, putting weights inside my son's pinewood derby car. Never would do it on a larger scale item, it's just not the proper tool. But for something that small, it has worked well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom