Doyle to Retire :: The End of an Era (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Just saw this... :(

A80D0749-A07C-49D5-B636-6CFCA68DDF26.jpeg

More here: https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/22886-doyle-brunson-i-plan-on-retiring-after-this-summer

Wish he would go out in the ME but I guess he can't play all day for days on end anymore.

Kinda crazy how good Doyle is. At his age still playing big cash games and biggest tourneys.

His wife's health is deteriorating and is retiring from all poker to spend more time with her. He can't justify spending any more time in a poker room when it takes time away from her.

He said it himself, “ you don’t stop playing because you get old, you get old because she stop playing“

I totally understand his decision. I just get nervous about people his age when they stop doing what they love. I’ve seen to many deteriorate rapidly

I've only watched him play for the last 15 years or so, but Doyle always seems like a gentleman at the table. Most of the times I have seen him upset, it has been directed at his fellow high-stakes regulars/friends. For as much he's played, and all the ass-hattery that goes on in poker games, that's saying a lot.

I've only watched him play for the last 15 years or so, but Doyle always seems like a gentleman at the table. Most of the times I have seen him upset, it has been directed at his fellow high-stakes regulars/friends. For as much he's played, and all the ass-hattery that goes on in poker games, that's saying a lot.
Absolutely.
I recently watched an old heads up match between Doyle and Shawn Sheikhan, where Sheik conducted himself like a total ass and talked way too much trash. So much so that Doyle was asked to comment on it in an interview immediately after losing to the ass. Doyle brushed it off with a smile, saying Shawn didn’t mean anything by it, that’s just how he is.
Doyle conducts himself like a gentleman and I appreciate it.

Dear Mr. Doyle, teach your wife to play poker. That way you can spend time with her and continue playing the game you love.

Seriously though, Doyle Brunson knew how to conduct himself. Whether sitting at a table, in an interview, or wheeling through the WSOP crowd on his rascal He struck me as the most polite individual. A true ambassador the the sport. Nobody will ever fill his shoes.

I'm glad I don't have to face him in the 2-7 lowball. If it were heads-up between me and him... I'd be rooting for him. :(

Doyle was the guest speaker at the banquet for BARGE 2009. Many of us were privileged to play at the tournament tables with him, and he was just as nice a guy as he's always appeared to be on television.

I remember watching a game and someone was going on and on about how Doyle should have played a hand differently.

Doyle just leaned back and said "I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. We each have our own ways."

Just made me chuckle and I still say it to my kids sometime when they start ranting about some trivial BS.

The remaining players all stood up and applauded when he got knocked out. It was a nice little moment.

I can't tell you the number of time over the years that Doyle has nearly run me over on that damn rascal. If you have played at the Bellagio enough you will know what I mean. The moment he leaves Bobby's room he fucking floors it and doesn't care who is in the way unless you are a hot chick. He must be getting bothered constantly and had to create some defense mechanisms or somehow i have wronged him without ever having met him. Or maybe i just look really run-over-able.

He said it himself, “ you don’t stop playing because you get old, you get old because she stop playing“

I totally understand his decision. I just get nervous about people his age when they stop doing what they love. I’ve seen to many deteriorate rapidly

It's amazing. There are a few now octogenarian regulars that I've known for over ten years at my regular club. I feel playing regularly is so good for their minds and social habits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom