Double Board Versions of PLO/PLO8 (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
How should strategy change when playing PLO/PLO8 double board?

My limited thoughts with limited experience are that top sets become more valuable on highs double board as a wrap straight draw generally isn't going to take home half the pot?

In PLO8, high only hands are even more limited in value as the low is going to come a wide majority of the time with two boards?

Curious on others thoughts/experience with these variants.

You can play PLO with two boards, or PLO8 with one board. If you want to combine these games, you could play the best overall high splits with best overall low. My head would explode if each board is a high/low split. I'd suggest instead a 3-2-1 board, with the best overall high and the best overall low splitting the pot. Essentially you choose which boards you want to play, but only one board in each direction.

The best hands have scoop potential. Playing one-way hands for half the pot with more board cards and/or more cards in your hand isn't the most effective strategy. The more cards available to each player, the narrower the range.

Play to the absolute nuts for the high and apply maximum pressure to get folds from all the middle strength hands that are looking for a reason to fold anyways.

With more cards/boards your preflop playable hands are going to shrink immensely! Suited Aces and Broadway cards for PLO and suited Aces with a 2 and another low card for PLO8.

These games end up having less action because people correctly are more apprehensive with out a lock hand.

You can play PLO with two boards, or PLO8 with one board. If you want to combine these games, you could play the best overall high splits with best overall low. My head would explode if each board is a high/low split. I'd suggest instead a 3-2-1 board, with the best overall high and the best overall low splitting the pot. Essentially you choose which boards you want to play, but only one board in each direction.

The best hands have scoop potential. Playing one-way hands for half the pot with more board cards and/or more cards in your hand isn't the most effective strategy. The more cards available to each player, the narrower the range.
They are indeed playing best overall high against best overall low...so you can get counterfeited by the other board. Ugh.

They are indeed playing best overall high against best overall low...so you can get counterfeited by the other board. Ugh.

This cannot be understated enough! Getting counterfeited on the board you have the nut low on happens enough already when your A or 2 pairs. But add on top of it when you have A2 on flop of 865 thinking I have the nuts great, the other board is K72, no low and you couldn’t make a low with your paired 2 anyways so you don’t give it much thought. Then a 3 comes off that board and A4 now has the true nut low.

I played a huge hand last year where almost this exact thing happened. I had nut high and got it all in vs the nut low, but I was free rolling. If a low card had come on the second board my low draw would have been better. Pot was over $800 in a 25/50c game. Sadly for me I missed the free roll.

This cannot be understated enough! Getting counterfeited on the board you have the nut low on happens enough already when your A or 2 pairs. But add on top of it when you have A2 on flop of 865 thinking I have the nuts great, the other board is K72, no low and you couldn’t make a low with your paired 2 anyways so you don’t give it much thought. Then a 3 comes off that board and A4 now has the true nut low.

I played a huge hand last year where almost this exact thing happened. I had nut high and got it all in vs the nut low, but I was free rolling. If a low card had come on the second board my low draw would have been better. Pot was over $800 in a 25/50c game. Sadly for me I missed the free roll.
It's a lot to track - and seems to encourage people coming in preflop with pretty bad lows (e.g. 2 4) knowing an ace and or 3 will flop on one of the boards and give them a chance at the low.

Play to the absolute nuts for the high and apply maximum pressure to get folds from all the middle strength hands that are looking for a reason to fold anyways.

With more cards/boards your preflop playable hands are going to shrink immensely! Suited Aces and Broadway cards for PLO and suited Aces with a 2 and another low card for PLO8.

These games end up having less action because people correctly are more apprehensive with out a lock hand.
Except when the players are all about the gambol. It plays more that everyone sees a potential draw at something - often will be 4 players seeing the turn and such.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom