Double Board NLHE Bomb Pot (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
I have not played a lot of bomb pots in my day, but had an interesting one at live play yesterday and am curious on everyone's thoughts. This card room does a double board bomb pot for $10 per player ($1/$3 stakes normally) at every dealer change. Half to winner of top board, and half to winner of bottom board.

9 handed at the time, so $90 in the pot.

Hero is on the button, with $200, and is the short stack at the table.

Board 1 is: :9d::7c::5d:
Board 2 is: :9c::6h::2s:

Action checks to HJ who bets $25
CO folds
Hero looks down at :kd::kc:

Action on hero.

To elaborate: the HJ bet looks fairly weak. You are doing good against any 9x hand, there’s a ton of dead money, I think anything else but a jam is a clear mistake here.

You should be ahead on Board 2 and even if someone has a straight on top you will have backdoor outs to boat or flush up.

You should be ahead on Board 2 and even if someone has a straight on top you will have backdoor outs to boat or flush up.
Yeah being up against exactly 86, with the 6 already out there, in a bomb pot, would just be really unlucky. If you were a lot deeper you could experiment with different strategies but I hate a call here because you will never know what are good or bad turns for you outside of a miracle K.

Definitely a jam. Hard to be behind to one person on both boards. 2 people would need to have smashed the flop to lose both

Preflop: I'd sit out every dealer change. Let the other players degen and tilt off their stacks.

If the betting in the game isn't enough on it's own and you need to resort to bomb pots to entice action, then it's a pretty crappy game to begin with.

(This message brought to you by the wet blankets / NLHE naysayers / Limit Lovers. Members included are @detroitdad @Anthony Martino @Poker Zombie & @Rhodeman77 )

I know I'm going too 'fast' for some by continuing here, but the thinking is already out there in existing comments (unless anyone was going to argue for a fold). I didn't jam though, but did raise to $90 to try to isolate. (In retrospect, I see jam being the better play).

The one combo of pocket 9s would be the only hand I'd be totally screwed by, and then I'd be behind a few select hands like 8 6, 9 6, pocket 6s, two pairs on bottom board with diamond draws, etc. - but still with solid equity on the 'other' board. Really needed to get heads up. (again, supports the jam I didn't perform)

I get lucky and it folds back to HJ who re-raises to put me all in. I call.

Villian turns over :8s::6d:

Runout:
Board 1 is: :9d::7c::5d::jd::2d:
Board 2 is: :9c::6h::2s::tc::qh:

Surprise scoop with a king high flush on board 1, and the overpair on board 2! Sometimes the poker gods smile on you.

Preflop: I'd sit out every dealer change. Let the other players degen and tilt off their stacks.

If the betting in the game isn't enough on it's own and you need to resort to bomb pots to entice action, then it's a pretty crappy game to begin with.

(This message brought to you by the wet blankets / NLHE naysayers / Limit Lovers. Members included are @detroitdad @Anthony Martino @Poker Zombie & @Rhodeman77 )

Some guy sat down a half hour later and didn't just sit out the bomb pots, but vocally objected and by the rules of the card room they don't do the bomb pots unless everyone agrees.

He's in your camp too.

Also, he wasn't popular at the table. :)

I have played in one cardroom that did this very type of bomb pot (Mad River, near Dayton). I loved it.

It's more than a flip, but higher variance than real poker. I found that nearly every bomb pot was played for stacks, and every bomb pot that saw a raise/re-raise eventually went all-in. When you are ahead (at Mad RIver) just jam, before an action seeker with no respect for money sucks out on you. The raiser will always call, you eliminate the action seekers, and you are most likely ahead on at least one board, if not both.

Chances are very high that you are only playing for half the $90 ($45), which is a good pull in my book.

Edit: I see you just raised, and it went all-in (as was the theme when I played), so good on you.

I have not played a lot of bomb pots in my day, but had an interesting one at live play yesterday and am curious on everyone's thoughts. This card room does a double board bomb pot for $10 per player ($1/$3 stakes normally) at every dealer change. Half to winner of top board, and half to winner of bottom board.

9 handed at the time, so $90 in the pot.

Hero is on the button, with $200, and is the short stack at the table.

Board 1 is: :9d::7c::5d:
Board 2 is: :9c::6h::2s:

Action checks to HJ who bets $25
CO folds
Hero looks down at :kd::kc:

Action on hero.

Two boards of holdem aren't any better than one. I love bomb pots, but preferably with God's game.

I love limit dealers choice. I host a game every 3 months. Limit holdem...blah.

I actually don't mind playing holdem if it's in a rotation. I get bored playing it as the only game, all night long.

>but did raise to $90 to try to isolate

You're leaving yourself $110 behind to bet into $270 on the turn there. Might as well just jam the flop for max pressure. You put people in an awkward spot where they most likely can only be winning one board and have to risk getting scooped on both (like you ended up doing).

Some guy sat down a half hour later and didn't just sit out the bomb pots, but vocally objected and by the rules of the card room they don't do the bomb pots unless everyone agrees.

He's in your camp too.

Also, he wasn't popular at the table. :)
I agree with his opposition to bomb pots; they're freaking stupid.
I do not agree with being a huge douche at the table - shut the hell up and let people have their stupid -ev fun.

Two boards of holdem aren't any better than one. I love bomb pots, but preferably with God's game.

I love limit dealers choice. I host a game every 3 months. Limit holdem...blah.

I actually don't mind playing holdem if it's in a rotation. I get bored playing it as the only game, all night long.

We include hold’em in our rotation of big bet games. I have a few people that really like the game still, but several people use that orbit to smoke, eat, bathroom, etc that we were only playing like 5 hands for the orbit. So I had to make a rule change that we still played every spot and blind the players that aren’t at the table out so that the players that want hold’em don’t feel like they are getting cheated of hands.

I do think it can still be plus ev as long as you value hands properly. Just a different way of thinking.
I suppose it could be. But to my way of thinking, putting in 10 small binds before I see my cards, isn't the best way to get to +ev

I suppose it could be. But to my way of thinking, putting in 10 small binds before I see my cards, isn't the best way to get to +ev
Definitely more variance for sure. I've played probably 25 bomb pots now in my two visits to this card room and only continued post flop in 2. Scooped both. :)

Bomb pots may be the only reason I finished up on that particular session.

Like @MrCatPants , I was dealt in on all of them, and continued in on very few. Never lost one. May have been variance working in my favor, but I feel as if the super-nits chose to sit out, while the action junkies were almost guaranteed to get it in.

That to me is poker. Play tighter when you know you are facing a super loose players, and you will build stacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom