Donkwoods Mockup (1 Viewer)

obviously HHR is perfect for this set, but have you considered moving to the FDL to accommodate the 1 1/16" inlay? the FDL does provide the best approximation of the RHC mold actually used at foxwoods...

Wow, jbutler made a dumbass mold suggestion. I'm marking my calendar.

I favor them as is on 1" inlays. imo, the 1" doesn't look awkward on HHR, JimB knows what he's doing. Here are the 3 sizes:

ilfs.jpgP1010509.jpg

i almost hate to suggest anything because i really love the design as is with the 7/8" inlay and everything.

what about a redesign using just the donkey faces rather than the whole bodies? i'm not really psyched even thinking about that, but if it could be pulled off, it might be preferable to dropping the "poker room" text imo.

obviously HHR is perfect for this set, but have you considered moving to the FDL to accommodate the 1 1/16" inlay? the FDL does provide the best approximation of the RHC mold actually used at foxwoods...

not a big fan of the FDL, love the way the HHR blends with the design of my set

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Wow, jbutler made a dumbass mold suggestion. I'm marking my calendar.

I favor them as is on 1" inlays. imo, the 1" doesn't look awkward on HHR, JimB knows what he's doing. Here are the 3 sizes:

View attachment 6999View attachment 7000

God damnit, so much conflicting information. David basically said the 7/8 or 1 1/16 is the best bet. Now you're saying the 1 inch.

I say "neigh!" to the FDL, or using any inlay size larger than 7/8" on the HHR. For a few commem/high denom chips a la Courage's set it's cool, but for a whole set it just doesn't work for me.

Double sided with giant donkey on one side and giant text/denom on the other side would be really cool I think (would have to see mockup to be sure.) I'd also be OK with dropping the "poker room" text to make the donkey larger, although my gut feeling is the 2-sided chip will be way better.

God damnit, so much conflicting information. David basically said the 7/8 or 1 1/16 is the best bet. Now you're saying the 1 inch.

Much of it is personal preference. The larger or smaller are less likely to impinge on the inlay border line but imo the 1" don't look bad when slightly off-center. Certainly no worse than off-center 7/8" which are common. Tough to get perfect alignment on clay chips. The 1 1/16 work well but get into the mold of course. I've always thought they'd do best with a gradient color edge. One slight problem with them is bit of clay are prone to stick in the edges, so sometimes have to pick those off the inlay.

I have requested the following changes from J5.

7/8 inch inlay.

one side of inlay-larger donkey and denom.
opposite side-donkwoods lettering and same size denom.

will see how it goes from there

Yep. I wish someone would have mentioned that the expression was going to be too small. Oh, wait...

I think the look on the donkey's face is a mostly irrelevant topic. Unless you have an eyeglass, The mouth is only going to be a few pixels high. Print it at size and take a look.

Run with the 2-sided chip. I ran into a similar issue with my CPS label design, and determined (via printouts) that the way to go sometimes, is a 2 sided chip.

7/8" on the HHR. As much as I love the FDL, theme counts for a lot in my book. Over-sizing the inlay just doesn't look right to me, for the reasons you mentioned.

While you can do just a image on the obverse, omitting the denom looks incomplete. Worse, it looks like a toy token - as if the "Donkwoods" was a branch of Chuck E. Cheese.

I think you are on the right track...

I have requested the following changes from J5.

7/8 inch inlay.

one side of inlay-larger donkey and denom.
opposite side-donkwoods lettering and same size denom.

will see how it goes from there

okay okay i have been beaten into submission. HHR > FDL. looking forward to version 2.0, though :)

If dead set on 7/8, I would think J5 perfectly capable of enlarging donkey image with minimal loss to denom and text font size. For this set that's preferable to me than two-sided inlays that may detract from theme.

If dead set on 7/8, I would think J5 perfectly capable of enlarging donkey image with minimal loss to denom and text font size. For this set that's preferable to me than two-sided inlays that may detract from theme.

agreed completely with this.

Option #3...

7/8 inlay. Donkey fills ~75% of the inlay. "Donkwoods" and Poker Room across legs in white with black outline, much like this font style:
09258.jpg

Add denom to the bottom space. It could overlay the hooves or not at J5's expert discretion / popular poll.

Because the donkey is similar on button and table, and the expressions are the only changing factor, it is acceptable to cover the legs on the chip, since people will "see" it anyway.

al_dw3a.jpg

Here is J5s latest mockup. He came up with this one on his own, he wanted to think outside the box a tiny bit. Not sure what I think so far. I think the lettering on Donkwoods is difficult to read with it being curved.

I love it. It centers the donkey and makes all the elements seem more integrated.

but dont you think this just brings us back to square one and the donkeys clarity will be difficult to see?

I think J5's latest (although just fine on it's own merits) really loses the Foxwoods connection - which I thought was a major point of the original design. Might as well read Donkey Club.

Turn the Donkwoods text into more of a watermark. Enlarge the donkey so that it is floating on top of the text.

The text is less important, especially since you have the text and logo on your table. Like a magazine cover, the text can be partially covered, and your brain will still fill in the missing parts.

Mike

I think J5's latest (although just fine on it's own merits) really loses the Foxwoods connection - which I thought was a major point of the original design. Might as well read Donkey Club.

I agree to this and have sent back what I would like to see in regards to changes. tell me if this makes sense.....

side 1 - similar to the rounders inlay. simplistic - just a larger sized donkey and denomination.
side 2 - Donkwoods straight across the middle, slightly pushed towards the top, denomination in the middle, across the circular bottom edge...'poker room'

all done on the 7/8 inlay.

That does make sense. I'd also like to see a version of what Racer/Mike described above.

Here is the mockup I asked for that coincides with my requests
al_dw3b.jpg

Here are a few mockups of different designs that J5 threw together
al_dw3c.jpg

thoughts?

I REALLY like the last one, not sure if clarity is going to be an issue again with all the overlapping lettering/colors/lines,shapes, etc.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

al_dw3b.jpg

and to be clear, i actually do really like these ones too. I feel like the Donkwoods side of the inlay is just missing a final touch. it looks too bland, would throwing in a horseshoe at the top of the Donkwoods make up for the white space? like this 131628755838427465941816-clipart-illustration-of-a-black-lucky-horse-shoe-md.png

View attachment 7014

Here are a few mockups of different designs that J5 threw together
View attachment 7015

thoughts?

I REALLY like the last one, not sure if clarity is going to be an issue again with all the overlapping lettering/colors/lines,shapes, etc.

and to be clear, i actually do really like these ones too. I feel like the Donkwoods side of the inlay is just missing a final touch. it looks too bland, would throwing in a horseshoe at the top of the Donkwoods make up for the white space?

agreed on all points. last one with overlapping text over donkey is winner imo so long as readability doesn't go to shit when printed to size.

single-sided>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>double-sided imo, but double-sided would be improved with horseshoe element you mention. sort of like the horseshoe quarter courage harvested:

ITLayTs.jpg

I much prefer the second mockups.

The first mockups look too bare to me.

Mike

This is probably going to be one of those things that only bothers me, but I'll put it out there.... Donkeys are not usually shoed. Hoof prints would make more sense, as if the chip were just kicked by a bucking donkey...

But they do get shoed, sometimes, if they're working on pavement or cobbles and their hooves are wearing too fast.

Also, I like all the latest images, esepcially the with the DONKWOODS overlayed on the donkey. I think it might also work for an even larger donkey with just the denom for a second label.

Hey, if you don't like hooves or the horseshoe - how about the backside has a kicking donkey with the denom underneath?

A donkey something like:
DonkeyKick.png

Latest J5 left version has my vote of the options so far.

Ok, so I think I'm finally done and although many PCF members may not agree, but I want to go with a set that I LOVE. I will be updating the Sample Set thread within the next day or two with the newest updates. But here is what I decided on, the actual Horseshoe may change, but other than that...I love how the large donkey pops on the inlay

At the end of the day, I am the one who has to use the set and really be happy with it, and I think this version is the winner.

Capture.PNGside 1

al_dw3d.jpg the inlay on the left with the circular edge 'poker room' is the one I will moving forward with.

At the end of the day, I am the one who has to use the set and really be happy with it, and I think this version is the winner.

absolutely the most important consideration - congrats on a final design!

Good compromise. The donkey's expressions are clear and you keep the Foxwoods tie in in place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom