[done] Give my game a name! (2 Viewers)

OfficerLovejoy

Full House
Reaction score
Edit:
A decision has been reached!
Despite my initial thought of keeping it international, I'm gonna use the original german name:

Bullenrunde

I'm in the process of building a table atm and of course I want a custom cloth to replace the ssc asap.

But before I can hire @p5woody, @T_Chan or one of the other awesome illustrator wizards on this site to design the felt, I need a name for my game. I'm not a native english speaker so I need some help coming up with a cool name.

I want the felt itself to be dark blue / blue maybe silver/metallic lines, clean and nothing too busy to distract the eye. Maybe the red/blue colors of a flashing siren build into the bettting line.

This is what I have in mind for the name:
My game is pretty much exclusively frequented by german police officers and therefore I want a police themed table.
Also, I keep calling our game "Bullenrunde", which consists of the german nickname for cops, which is bulls (not pigs, as we're called so charmingly in the us) and "runde" which can be translated as a frequent gathering.

I could just call it that and be done with it, but since the game itself and all my chips are from the us and I'd like to appeal to an international audience when I'm posting pics of the homegame, I'd like to keep it all in english.

So I'm looking for an english name that incorporates either the word bull and / or some kind of gathering/building to gather and some connection to police and / or poker.
Some other things that could be incorporated into the name:
Cologne (our City)
Angelo (my Name - only if all other options are exhausted) ;)

But yeah, pretty much everything is on the table.

I came up with "bullpen", but I'm not entirely happy with it, since the connection pen / prison is more law enforcement in general and not police specific enough. Plus I want a modern, sleek design, nothing like patch of green and a fence around it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh yeah and please keep politics out of this thread. If you don't like cops for whatever reason that is ok, just move on and live your day to the fullest without letting me know. ;)

Edit
Ideas so far:
Thin blue line - @Bluegrass Poker
The bull run club - @buzzmonkey
bull round-up (optional - in Cologne) - @Coyote
Bullenrunde (keeping it german) - @slisk250
bull ring - @Sunshine
The bull's head - @Sunshine
The donut shop - @BamaT8ter
Battle at bull run - @ChipFinderSK
Cologne Bulls - @Sambukan
Bulls of the badge - @joseywales
Night Bulls - @joseywales
Bull Sharks - @TheDuke
Bullenrunde stockyard @RadicusScout

Last edited:
I’m the least creative person I know so I’m just posting to follow along. Excited to see what you end up with

Der Kommissar, but make it plural: Der Kommissars.

OK, that's a corny suggestion and doesn't incorporate either bull or gathering/building. But when I think of Polizei, can't help but think of this old tune.

Alles klar, Herr Kommissar?

The brotherhood of cops in the US is commonly referred to as the Thin Blue Line.

I know it doesn’t go with what you said but the Thin Blue Line Club or Thin Blue Line Cardroom would work really well with the color scheme you want. Maybe see if your designer can put some running bulls in the inner betting circle.

Der Kommissar, but make it plural: Der Kommissars.

OK, that's a corny suggestion and doesn't incorporate either bull or gathering/building. But when I think of Polizei, can't help but think of this old tune.

Alles klar, Herr Kommissar?
No german words allowed. ;)
The brotherhood of cops in the US is commonly referred to as the Thin Blue Line.

I know it doesn’t go with what you said but the Thin Blue Line Club or Thin Blue Line Cardroom would work really well with the color scheme you want. Maybe see if your designer can put some running bulls in the inner betting circle.
Yeah, haven't thought about that. The term is starting to catch on here in germany as well since we switched to blue uniforms and patrol cars.
We used to look like this
unnamed.jpg

Maybe use a thin blue bettting line? ;)

Just call it the Bull Run Club?
I'll add it to the list, thank you.

Here is my take on trying to make it more international by translating to English....don’t.

I think your original name is perfect. Go with it in your thread and explain the meaning to all. I like the various European chips members have made with NO regard for other languages. It’s as it should be. The people with true interest in your game will have no problems understanding and the rest don’t really matter.

No disrespect to the chipper who suggested Thin Blue Line, but that name isn’t without controversy. The politics of the US are in a horrible place now and often the Thin Blue line and Black Lives Matter supporters are in conflict. I wouldn’t use that if it were me.

Have fun, make your chips, and good luck in the process.

@slisk250 has a point. And it's not that your language uses a different alphabet which would render the title illegible.
"Bullenrunde - Koeln" would be great.

Bullfighting reference? Like, "Bullring" (arena for bullfighting, would be "Plaza de Toros" in Spanish, but you're looking for English ...).

Mythology reference? "Minotaur's Labyrinth"? "Parlor of Apis"?

Stubbornness/pub style? "The Bull's Head"?

Old West? "Longhorn Corral"? "Bullhead City Saloon and Card Room"?

But, I gotta agree with @slisk250 that "Bullenrunde" is already pretty badass.

Battles at Bull Run (or Battles at the Bull Run, The Battle at/of Bull Run)

A double entendre for 2 famous US Civil War battles (both won by the Confederates, however).

This is gold. Only funny if your players have a sense of humor, though.
I'm picturing Porky the Pig in a police hat eating a donut as part of the inlay design.
But I'm sure I will get blowback from someone for it.
I like a humorous theme, but the association of donuts and pigs with cops is very us-specific and nothing that is well known in germany. ;)

Angelo's Polizei Poker ?

Polizei Poker (Place/Palace)

Or is there a German word or slang term that starts with P that means place, room, gathering, etc?

- Asservaten kammer

- Or cologne bulls / maybe something with the logo of the chicago bulls with a police hat or so

- Bullenrunde, i think its pretty cool too

Angelo's Polizei Poker ?

Polizei Poker (Place/Palace)

Or is there a German word or slang term that starts with P that means place, room, gathering, etc?
If I chose to go with german words, I'll stick with Bullenrunde. ;)
- Asservaten kammer

- Or cologne bulls / maybe something with the logo of the chicago bulls with a police hat or so

- Bullenrunde, i think its pretty cool too
Yeah, Cologne bulls crossed my mind as well but I have no association with chicago or basketball whatsoever. ;)

Agents of Shield - a play on words there that might work, depending on whether you're a Marvel fan. Could get very creative with felt, chips, etc. Agents of the Shield, Agents with Shield.
Brothers of Shield. Brothers of the Shield, etc.
Badge Brothers
Brothers of the Badge.
Nightstick Poker Room
Bill Club...Club?
Billy Club Poker
The Blue Knights (American TV show, The Blue Knight)
Knight of the Shield
Blue Knight's Quarters

I have a million of these, but gotta run.

Picking my favorites out of yours @joseywales
Bulls of the badge (changed it a little)
Blue bulls

Although the latter has kind of a blue balls sounds to it now that I think about it. ;)

Are you guys in squads, divisions, or some other kind of group?
Chip Collars
Gang Busters

do you have a room or place where assignments are given or breaks are normally taken?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom