Does vacuuming speed cloth remove its coating? (1 Viewer)

mummel

Full House
Reaction score
Im busy cleaning up after last night's riot. I use a detailing brush after every game to suck up crumbs. The bristles are not hard, but not soft either. There is some abrasion (brush is used on crown molding).

I'm wondering if over time the coating will wear from me cleaning it?

Leaving the dirt/crumbs/grit on the table is 100% sure to cut the life of your cards in a big way.

Similarly, the debris left behind on the table is abrading the speed cloth too. Not just the coating but the cloth itself.

I think your brushing after each game is a much better choice than doing nothing. It might be a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment might be better, but not by much.

DrStrange

Probably not much. Frankly the chips are more abrasive as they get pushed around in weighty stacks on more or less the same path each time.

In the grand scheme of things what's a hundred bucks in cloth every few years? If you're running serious, frequent games you'll spend that much or more burning through playing cards in the same period. Even high quality plastic ones.

Assuming you have good USA speed cloth, the cloth is treated with a Teflon coating. Any abrasive type of use - be if shuffling chips, picking up cards, brushing it with a billiard brush - will take it's toll in the long run, but you're talking about taking fractions of fractions of that coating off with each use. Shuffling the cards is probably doing twice as must damage to the cloth as brushing it off or using a vacuum on it. Typically the cloths I've replaced all show signs of wear at the middle of the table wear you're shuffling & spreading the cards the most (10x so if the game has a dedicated dealer) . I believe the specs on USA speed cloth are 30k+ double rubs, which puts it into a heavy duty commercial fabric category. The Teflon coating will start to wear off before the fabric shows signs of excessive wear, but the coating soaks into the fabric so it should retain some of it's water resistance even when it's getting towards the end of it's life.

Keeping the cloth clean will extend it's life, as any dust or crumbs left on the table will get ground up and become like sandpaper on the cloth with use. I typically vacuum my clothes with a brush attachment before each game, and wipe them down with a damp cloth if they get a little dirty.

TY for the feedback. I'll continue to clean the cloth as is. As you guys say, I'll probably end up replacing it at some point.

Since my table is in the garage, I use a leaf blower. Gets clean real fast. Also cover it with a log rack cover. Got one similar to this from Big Lots on the cheap

Patio-Log-Rack-Cover.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom