Does "Playing it Wrong" Piss Anyone Else Off? (1 Viewer)

and nobody can touch me there from my group.
"half full, half full, half full"

ohm.jpg

:D

But it really, REALLY pisses me off when my friends play wrong. For example, when I have position and my story the whole way is high pocket pair and I get called down every street by 84os who hits middle pair with a shit kicker and wins.
It piss you off because they play wrong or because they win?

In my case I encourage my friends to continue playing wrong, because in the long run it's more beneficial to me ($$)

Yeah they may "play it wrong" and hit runner runner to take a pot now and then, but if they consistently "play it wrong", you should come out ahead in the long run. Don't discourage them from "playing it wrong".

Yeah they may "play it wrong" and hit runner runner to take a pot now and then, but if they consistently "play it wrong", you should come out ahead in the long run. Don't discourage them from "playing it wrong".
This^^^^. There are several poker books advising to never criticize a bad player for a bad play. You want them to keep coming back.

Oh yes, I know; they are a slot machine that pays me off in the long run. However ... HOWEVER:

I was in 1st place in our tournament on Friday for over an hour; $300 bucks on the line. Steadily climbing, dodging and weaving. The poker idiot is stack #2 b/c, well, b/c of this thread and he played it wrong all night and got rewarded.

Me: AKs
Him: AQos

OK, so he's dominated; he raises pre-flop, I 3-bet him and that should have been his first clue.
Flop: AXsYs - so I've got 4 to the nut flush and top-top; he bets, I re-raise AGAIN and he calls (which is just dumb stop f-ing calling and go away)
Turn: Z - no flush yet, but also no straights; I'm a little worried he has a set, but whatever, so be it; he checks, I put the rest of it in and he calls
River: Q and I want to just burn it all down

I can't take it sometimes, hence this thread. He went on to say "oh, I didn't think you had an Ace because I had one" .... SAY WHAT!

Oh yes, I know; they are a slot machine that pays me off in the long run. However ... HOWEVER:

I was in 1st place in our tournament on Friday for over an hour; $300 bucks on the line. Steadily climbing, dodging and weaving. The poker idiot is stack #2 b/c, well, b/c of this thread and he played it wrong all night and got rewarded.

OK, so he's dominated; he raises pre-flop, I 3-bet him and that should have been his first clue.
Flop: AXsYs - so I've got 4 to the nut flush and top-top; he bets, I re-raise AGAIN and he calls (which is just dumb stop f-ing calling and go away)
Turn: Z - no flush yet, but also no straights; I'm a little worried he has a set, but whatever, so be it; he checks, I put the rest of it in and he calls

I can't take it sometimes, hence this thread. He went on to say "oh, I didn't think you had an Ace because I had one" .... SAY WHAT!
Play cash games. Tourneys have more suckouts

To be fair, he is technically correct as he does block top pair lol

Play cash games. Tourneys have more suckouts
Agreed; and this thread was created mostly for his/their play in the cash games. But this most recent tourney pissed me off enough to comment on it here.

To be fair, he is technically correct as he does block top pair lol
Hah, yes ... and perhaps if I had AQ I would have had a hard time getting away from it. This thread was mostly about playing it wrong; like when the flop is A82 and his 82 hits two-pair against my AK ... I was just so pissed about the AK vs AQ that I had to write about it. The thing that really got me was his dumbass face saying that he didn't even think I had an Ace ... Also, he's like my BFF, so that makes me hate him even more.

I used to have a huuuuuge problem with entitlement tilt. Even today, a couple of bad beats in a session and I still have to fight it hard.

I like that you're recognizing it and making a joke about it, but as others have said: don't kill the golden goose! When you get it in as a 90%+ favorite and your buddy sucks out, let that anger go. Smile and laugh about it, encourage it: "Yeah, I'd never fold AQ there either Mike. Congrats on the win!"

They're just keeping that money warm for you. It'll come back.

I mean he didn't necessarily play it wrong, that's a cooler hand. And I'm sure in the process of building your stack you at some point got lucky either through a suck out or cooler. These things happen in tournaments...if you get it in twice as a 60-40 favorite you're only 36% to win both hands.

Part of being a good player is being able to know which players play well, play by the book, don't know how to play, etc.

There are one or two guys that I play with occasionally that I just laugh at when they get annoyed that newbies don't play "correctly". Normal bad beats are one thing, but understanding that new or bad players don't play like people that know what they are doing is important. Having said this, I understand that you're just having some fun here. Love the custom chips!

I used to have a huuuuuge problem with entitlement tilt. Even today, a couple of bad beats in a session and I still have to fight it hard.

I like that you're recognizing it and making a joke about it,
Entitlement tilt... So there's a name for it! Yes, it's hard to fight it off. The frustration is just a wave that envelops me. But yes, I love all my players, even the ones that irritate me to no end, so making it into a joke is not only a coping mechanism, but also gives them some enjoyment too. A lot of them try to get on the list now purposefully!

I mean he didn't necessarily play it wrong, that's a cooler hand.
Yup, you're right. And the point of this thread was for hands that weren't coolers. The ones that were just played so wrong and yet rewarded them. But I was just pissed off and since I saw that the thread was becoming active again decided to vent my frustration

Part of being a good player is being able to know which players play well, play by the book, don't know how to play, etc.

There are one or two guys that I play with occasionally that I just laugh at when they get annoyed that newbies don't play "correctly". Normal bad beats are one thing, but understanding that new or bad players don't play like people that know what they are doing is important. Having said this, I understand that you're just having some fun here. Love the custom chips!
I totally agree and playing the player is what I do. I rarely play my hand. Thanks for the feedback on the custom chips. This thread was part rant and part pR0n.

With all that said, many of my players have reached out to me to let me know how much they appreciate the entertainment value that I give them. So, I feel good that I can make a difference during these difficult times.

You know what else is frustrating? Having to talk a new player down when you play correctly (like shove short stacked against the blinds) and they take it too personally. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You know what else is frustrating? Having to talk a new player down when you play correctly (like shove short stacked against the blinds) and they take it too personally. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I was actually worried about that with new members joining. I didn't want to scare them off with my player's horrible decisions.

The best was watching a player who had spiked a set of aces with his pocket bullets turn a FH and then lose to quads on the river (84 hit runner runner runner). He just kinda stared blankly at our tournament Zoom and I broke the silence with, "Welcome to the WPC!"

Edit: my example hand didn't makes sense, so I went back to my weekly newsletter and found the actual hand. It was worse than I thought :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
My two pesos: you bought in, you get to play however you want (not talking about "aholish" attitudes/behaviors).

I've never been truly upset about getting rivered, runner runnered, one/two outered, etc - maybe I didn't do enough to dissuade my opponent or maybe he Paid through X number of betting rounds for that slim chance to happen. I know that I'm not a good enough player to hang with pros for an extended period of time - my only chances would be to play unpredictably and hit and run, if I play exactly how I'm "supposed" to play or how they expect me to play, I'm pretty sure I'll get crushed over the long run...

Here's my work-related analogy (e.g. "you attacked me wrong"):

You don't get to dictate how/where/when a bad guy attacks you!

Anyone train BJJ or Judo (or any other combative sports)? In open rolling or randori, if a lower belt somehow manages to successfully execute a low-percentage or unorthodox move against you and you get seriously mad, the "problem" isn't your opponent, it's your ego (IMnshO :D )...

Ha ha.. I've taught self defense, martial arts and victim prevention for years, and many of my physically oriented classes (or seminars), I always try to work this video clip into the ice-breaker...

Tournaments it can be frustrating when someone takes -ICM that cost you money also.

A couple examples:
Final table, middle stack, if the low stacks basically blind themselves out, it also hurts your stack to wait (the big stacks get a huge EV boost)
Nearing the bubble, middle stacks that don’t turtle down hurt the big stacks at this stage (a boon for the short stacks)

I just remember, sometimes I’m the big stack in scenario 1, sometimes I’m a shorty nearing the bubble. If they make -EV moves it’s good for me in general, even though I’m getting hammered that day.

In cash this is just called giving action and is good, and this is the whole point, find tables where they play 48 and call down with a pair of 8s.

I just invite them back and ask if they have any friends :)
Yup; just another way of saying that people "who play it wrong" are essentially broken ATMs that spit money 90% of the time and 10% of the time eat your debit card and piss you off. I know, I know, over time, they're funding my PCF purchases...

That's said, I've also played enough poker to learn that just because I thought someone played a hand "wrong", it doesn't mean that I'm right. Poker strategy often can't be examined in a vacuum. There are many different ways to be a winning player. I view each player and their actions more as an orchestra. Their actions need to be cohesive or in sync in order for it to work. I may not like the song they've chosen, but if all the various pieces of the orchestra are playing the right chords at the right times, it can still be effective. Hence there are strong LAGs, TAGs, and a whole host of styles in between that can all find ways to win. What is "wrong" for one player may not be wrong for another.

That's said, I've also played enough poker to learn that just because I thought someone played a hand "wrong", it doesn't mean that I'm right. Poker strategy often can't be examined in a vacuum. There are many different ways to be a winning player. I view each player and their actions more as an orchestra. Their actions need to be cohesive or in sync in order for it to work. I may not like the song they've chosen, but if all the various pieces of the orchestra are playing the right chords at the right times, it can still be effective. Hence there are strong LAGs, TAGs, and a whole host of styles in between that can all find ways to win. What is "wrong" for one player may not be wrong for another.
All very true; in fact, by being a player who is viewed as consistently playing it wrong, they've established that reputation at the table which means they get callers with weaker hands more often than normal. So when they have something really strong, they get paid off. Playing it wrong is definitely a strategy for some.

With that said, to my favorite player who plays it wrong... "Fuck you and your 42os that you jammed pre-flop on, and got callers from AKs and TT and you hit 356 on the flop and took down $200 for no good reason"... (This happened last night and I questioned reality...)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom