Does hand sanitizer have an impact on chips? or cards?

markleteenie

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering the logistics regarding restarting my game up and I anticipate a higher than pre-covid usage of hand sanitizer by participants.
For hand sanitizer to be most effective, I believe the user is supposed to "wash" it into their hand and let it completely dry before touching anything else.

As I know that won't always be the case, does anyone know if hand sanitizer impacts or bleaches chips, cards, felt/fabric, etc?
I know I could test it out myself, but I figured people would already know.

Thanks!

Jeff

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used isopropyl rubbing alcohol on Paulson chips many times to remove tape residue etc, no adverse effects unless soaking for hours, which seems to soften the clay a little
I used ethyl alcohol to remove hotstamps from starbursts. Ethyl acohol now Seems to be the go to for han san. I’d bet not a problem if hands are dry, but prolly not a great thing in quantities

allforcharity

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get a fair amount of alcohol on the surface of a clay chip, it will look like it's drying them out. Standard oiling with mineral oil will bring back the colour consistency.

(I've had to soak chips in alcohol to try and dissolve permanent ink applied to the chip surface. Not nice.)

JMC9389

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick rinse of the hands with hand sanitizer before returning to the table and touching the cards and chips should not impact them in any way as long as the hand sanitizer is used properly and rubbed all the way into the hands.

HeWhoWouldPun

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always feel like hand sanitizers have a lot of lotion in them so maybe your chips will get the “freshly oiled” look quicker and/or all the time.

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
The other ingredient in hand sanitizer gel is aloe vera gel. Pretty benign...vitamins and amino acids. Makes for a healthy chip!
If chips can withstand hooker juice, a little hand sanitizer can only help.

Top Bottom