Do You Oil Hot-stamped Chips? (1 Viewer)

I haven't used Weckedy's oil-in-water method on TRKs (or any other chips), but I have cleaned and oiled a lot of TRKs. I can't imagine a problem using the oil-in-water method provided the water is not too hot and you drain and dry promptly. I'm going to give this method a try the next time I need to oil a batch of chips.

Actually this is @Trihonda's method. I was checking for viability to use on my TRKs.

Good old fashion elbow grease would be the best answer then.

Even Paulson chips with shaped inlays will typically show signs of seepage with relatively short soak times -- even more so with water than with straight mineral oil, due to the differing capillary action characteristics of each solution.

i agree with that ....i think you could try the mix of oil/water on hot stamps but with paulson inlays when cleaning i would not try the mix, only use whatever cleaning materials you chose and let them dry for a day before puttin a few dabs of oil on them...if you get seepage from the water based cleaning solution most times it will dry without any noticeable issues.....i am only guessing that when mixed with oil it may seep further and hinder any drying and may leave noticeable damage

ASM/CPC...i would not try it, you can pop those labels with an exacto knife cleanly in two seconds (and that can be a positive thing for a relabel project) ....i have never tried to remove a paulson label but have read here its like pulling teeth and looks like hell even if you succeed..

Last edited:
A mix of water and oil seems lol to me - I don't know how this can possibly work.

I didn't come up with the method, someone else mentioned it. I think in one of the threads on ultrasonic cleaning.

I was skeptical at first, but after reading about the oil/water trick I decided to give it a try. Obviously my saying it has worked amazingly well (3000+ chips) is meaningless, you'll just have to find out for yourself I suppose. But if it didn't work after the first 100 chips, I probably wouldn't have continued with the remaining 2900...

However, people can feel free to use the old fashioned way if they choose. :rolleyes:

I would agree to use caution for longer soaks/submersions for inlayed chips. But the OP title is asking about hotstamped chips. It's really just a dunk in and get them coated, then pull them out. I think the oil pools on the surface, and the chips passing through the layer of oil coats them? Not sure exactly how it works, but it works.

I have used the oil/water method too, and it worked like a champ!

FWIW I use the oil and water trick to coat asparagus before grilling them and they do seem to come out of the mixture evenly coated. If it works for asaparagus, it should work for chips. :LOL: :laugh:

I'm going to give it a try on a small batch of hotstamps. Fingers crossed as I have over 2000 in the queue to be oiled.

Even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have a new method to coat my asparagus (y) :thumbsup:

FWIW I use the oil and water trick to coat asparagus before grilling them and they do seem to come out of the mixture evenly coated. If it works for asaparagus, it should work for chips. :LOL: :laugh:

Maybe I"ll give it a try the next time I feel like grilling chips. :rolleyes:

I'm going to give it a try on a small batch of hotstamps. Fingers crossed as I have over 2000 in the queue to be oiled.

Even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have a new method to coat my asparagus (y) :thumbsup:

Really late to the party, but i'm curious how did it turn out? Was thinking of doing the same but wasn't sure if it'd be the best method. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom