Do you make this call? (1 Viewer)

HanShot1st

Two Pair
Reaction score
Home game $0.25/0.50 NLH, effective stacks approximately $55
The game can be splashy at times, but a mix of beginners and a couple experienced players.

Hero’s on the cutoff with 99

action starts with a middle position limp, next player raises to $1.50, 2 callers before coming to the Hero. Hero raises to $6.00
folds back to the original limper who then jams. Just over $50.00. Folds back to the Hero who’s trying to make sense of this play.
villain is an experienced player but has shown some loose aggressive moments historically.

Would you call?

I’ll give the actual results after I hear your thoughts on this spot.

limping with pocket 10s plus is a risky move. An experienced player at this game would know he’s getting multiple callers.maybe he gets lucky with where someone would raise him where he could pounce but maybe not. Hero feels the villain raises outright on all pocket 10s plus.

limping with pocket 10s plus is a risky move. An experienced player at this game would know he’s getting multiple callers.maybe he gets lucky with where someone would raise him where he could pounce but maybe not. Hero feels the villain raises outright on all pocket 10s plus.

Ripping light into a raise, 2 callers and a 3 bet is a bold move. If you are confident, it's an easy call. But for 100 BB, he's not that experienced.

Last edited:
Additional info… the villain had recently rebought due to getting stacked by the Hero an orbit prior.
nut flush> straight > 2 pair.

Probably not. This is a fairly common play for a high pocket pair, best case, 2 overs. Unless I've seen him punt off like this before, he can have it.
Yeah but we’re probably good against two overs. I guess I’m not really afraid of the high pocket pair unless this is somebody who we know likes to checkraise big pocket pairs pre.
So this is an annoying dumb thing to have to do, because if alll my assumptions are good, we’re like 55%. Whee! But I assume we knew what we were getting into with this game? If not, it’s also a pretty easy fold. Who needs $6?

Yeah but we’re probably good against two overs. I guess I’m not really afraid of the high pocket pair unless this is somebody who we know likes to checkraise big pocket pairs pre.
So this is an annoying dumb thing to have to do, because if alll my assumptions are good, we’re like 55%. Whee! But I assume we knew what we were getting into with this game? If not, it’s also a pretty easy fold. Who needs $6?
Agreed…this thought definitely crossed my mind. Better spots…

Agreed…this thought definitely crossed my mind. Better spots…
Right. But to be clear, I think we’re usually ahead by a slim to narrow margin - I’m not saying I’d always call it, but I think it’s a call.

I see a lot of "experienced" players make this play with AA and KK too often to call with 99, pick a better spot.

Limp-reraising with AA/KK used to be a thing. If it's an active table and he was pretty sure it would get raised once or twice its something he could do.

On the other hand it doesn't seem like he really wants a call. It's a pretty big shove. I've seen this play with 77-88s as well for sure, where he limps to set mine initially, then goes a bit crazy. That assumes he is either a bit tilty or generally aggressive, or that you are 3betting a lot and he thinks you don't necessarily have premium here.

Its likely fold most of the time here, but some factors could make me lean more to call.

As everybody else already said:
This is not a good spot. It becomes tricky if you're holding QQ, but against a certain player type I might even fold those.

Fold.

Home game $0.25/0.50 NLH, effective stacks approximately $55
The game can be splashy at times, but a mix of beginners and a couple experienced players.

Hero’s on the cutoff with 99

action starts with a middle position limp, next player raises to $1.50, 2 callers before coming to the Hero. Hero raises to $6.00
folds back to the original limper who then jams. Just over $50.00. Folds back to the Hero who’s trying to make sense of this play.
villain is an experienced player but has shown some loose aggressive moments historically.

Would you call?

I’ll give the actual results after I hear your thoughts on this spot.
I am pretty aggressive, but I think I just set mine here.

As played, I fold. at best, coin flip, but you are also just as likely dominated.

I said experienced not necessarily good.

Additional info… the villain had recently rebought due to getting stacked by the Hero an orbit prior.
nut flush> straight > 2 pair.

It sounds like you are trying to justify your eventual call. Good luck, hero.

If this is true, I would love to here the range you are going to put him on.

This is the only information that could possibly justify a call here. The likelihood that you are dominated is too high. It sounds like the villain is mad at you for stacking him and found a spot to isolate you. But even if that’s the case, what’s your best case scenario? You’re up against AK or AQs? Why call with your stack and hope for a flip when you’re likely dominated? Even if he’s just mad at you and trying to “outplay you” with JT you’re still not sitting great.

There’s a plausible story to him jamming you with air here but if he’s that tilted then you’re going to find a better situation to exploit him later. Easy fold with a “nice bet” if you want to needle him a little bit.

*** This was supposed to include the quote about hero haven’t recently stacked villain but for some reason my phone didn’t include that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom