Do you have sons? Show them this..... (2 Viewers)

CraigT78

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a call from my daughter's principle today to inform me that my 14 year old was sexually harassed at school today by a boy in one of her classes. My kid is a no nonsense, don't give me any drama type of kid, so she's blown it off, but admitted to being kinda creeped out, as it was a graphic sexual advance and she has to go to school with this knucklehead. Anyway it made me instantly think of the recent "The Best Men Can Be" ad that Gillette released. Ironically I showed this to my three sons (15,13,9) earlier this week and used it as an opportunity to discuss how to handle themselves when it comes to how they interact with girls. So please, if you have boys at home, show them this video, have the discussion, and possibly save yourself, and the parents of a teen girl a phone call home from school, the police, and the humiliation and embarrassment that undoubtedly comes with that call.

The Best Men Can Be

Screenshot_20190118-141044.jpg
X 1,000,000

My dad always told me that any idiot will treat someone stronger than them, or anyone that can benefit them with respect. The true measure of a man, is how he treats those that are weaker than him, or those that can’t offer any benefits to him.
Thank you for this - while my youngest might not appreciate this quote yet, my older kids certainly will.

On the other side of the coin our youngest son, who is now in high school, was suspended as a 6th grader back in middle school for sexually harassing a fellow 6th grade girl. Cliff notes version she and he were playing a truth or dare type game and she told him something she did sexually to herself. He later told a couple buddies the breaking news about the young lady. Two days later she found out he blabbed and went to the principle and told him that our son was talking about her. Good news is they told him if he kept his nose clean the next 3 years it would be wiped off his record before high school, and he did.
I am in no way saying that what our son did was right, but putting myself in his 6th grade shoes I'd have probably done the same. We did tell him to 100% stay away from this girl and thankfully he did.

My dad always told me that any idiot will treat someone stronger than them, or anyone that can benefit them with respect. The true measure of a man, is how he treats those that are weaker than him, or those that can’t offer any benefits to him.

This is very similar to what my dad taught me when I was a young man. It has served me well, and will be passed down if I ever have a son.

On the other side of the coin
He later told a couple buddies
she found out
100% stay away from this girl
As I have a 17,15,13 and 9 year old sons, I 100% understand and have been on the other side of this coin. Twice. First time my 13 year old was goofing off and ended up breaking the collar bone of another boy. Of course other boys mom is an FBI agent and went on a anti-bullying crusade. I can't say what actually happened, no one can, as we weren't there - but it ended up it was a rough game of football. Thankfully it wasn't school related, but was an eye opener for sure.

2nd time was similar to what happened to you - secrets told between girl and boy - boy blabs in the locker room, girl is embarrassed and trouble is had.

This is why I posted. Inherently we all want to believe our kids, and have disbelief when wrongdoing is reported. Take a proactive approach and discuss how things like this go down. Teach them to identify possible situations where the outcome isn't worth the laughs or temporary social status.

Thankfully in the case in the OP - what occured today happened in full earshot of a teacher and was immediately handled by the school.

It’s not great, it’s not horrible. It’s free speech.

Whatever this company wants to use its advertising money to say, they are entitled to say. I completely agree with their message and I applaud their board for speaking out against what it sees as deplorable behavior.

How can you be against an ad whose primary attention is to spread the message “Be good to one another”?

I find absolutely nothing in this ad anti-masculinity. In fact, I think it points to what they believe IS MASCULINITY.

I don't need to show him a biased ad against masculinity
I guess we read it differently. I see an ad biased not against masculinity, but toxic masculinity.

Not all masculinity is toxic.

Regardless of the adjectives we apply to it, I agree with the messages in the ad about bullying and sexual harrassment, which is to say, "Don't do it, and stand up to those who do."

I guess we read it differently. I see an ad biased not against masculinity, but toxic masculinity.

Not all masculinity is toxic.

Regardless of the adjectives we apply to it, I agree with the messages in the ad about bullying and sexual harrassment, which is to say, "Don't do it, and stand up to those who do."

My problem with the ad is that it is blatant pandering. Did Gillette all of a sudden grow a conscience?
Gillette like every other company has a primary goal as the bottom line which in their case means selling razors. Frankly, I just don't believe they care about bullying or treating women as sex objects.
Gillette's advertising people looked at the social landscape and cobbled together something they thought would make people like them.
Why didn't this ad come out in the 80s or the 90s? Was bullying less of an issue then? Were women treated with more respect back then?

Of course I want bullying to decrease and I want women to be treated with respect. I think we all want society to get better. We all want racism to stop.

But when companies come out with this blatant pandering I find it pathetic.

PS. I am not knocking @CraigT78 or anyone else that perhaps uses this ad as a jumping off point to have tough discussions with their kids. Having real talk with your kids is great and what being a good parent is all about. Let's make the future better together!

EDIT: I started using Rockwell Razors a few months ago and they beat the brakes off any disposable Mach 3 or others. Also way cheaper.

https://getrockwell.com/

Dollar Shave Club for the win :D
Mach3 is the only blade that touches my head (not my face - my head). I've tried a few others over the years, including DSC, but I keep coming back to old faithful. Amazon subscription service for these is fantastic!

let's not pretend the sole purpose isn't to sell us a product
Yup, always worth keeping in mind.

The message in the video is good. Be a man, show your men in training the right way to treat people. I didn't see much more in it than that. When Kotex and Secret show the same message about women leading girls in an ad, I'll be impressed.

As long as we are not pretending Gillette is now some rectitudinous corporation, I think we are ok.

1547847673306.png

The message in the video is good. Be a man, show your men in training the right way to treat people. I didn't see much more in it than that. When Kotex and Secret show the same message about women leading girls in an ad, I'll be impressed.

As long as we are not pretending Gillette is now some rectitudinous corporation, I think we are ok.

View attachment 237494

You make my point so well. It is utter bullshit. In their new ad the black guy is scolding the other guy for checking out the girl. Meanwhile they totally objectify women to sell their product when it suits them.

It really ruffles my feathers that people can be so blatantly hypocritical and get away with it.

I think some of you are completely missing the point of my OP. I don’t give a rats ass who made the video or the underlying reason. Does the fact that it was a razor blade company take away from the message of the video? How many of you would disagree if it were a non-profit that released the same video minus the obligatory shaving spots?

The point I was making in my OP was that I had received a rather disturbing phone call that my kid, who still has a bed full of stuffed animals was sexually harassed at school, a place one expects our CHILDREN should be safe. A boy her age didn’t understand that it wasn’t acceptable to solicit valgur sexual acts from a classmate, either serious or not, because his parents hadn’t taught him that. I sure hope it wasn’t because his father was worried about his kids “masculinity”

totally objectify women
A woman’s choice of what she wears isn’t objectification. My kid can’t wear leggings/yoga pants to school unless her shirt covers her butt, but she wears them 100% of the rest of the time - skin tight pants certainly are her prerogative and they aren’t objectifying anything. But a company who slaps their logo on the back of said clothing/uniform is guilty of objectifying women?

I think some of you are completely missing the point of my OP. I don’t give a rats ass who made the video or the underlying reason. Does the fact that it was a razor blade company take away from the message of the video? How many of you would disagree if it were a non-profit that released the same video minus the obligatory shaving spots?

The point I was making in my OP was that I had received a rather disturbing phone call that my kid, who still has a bed full of stuffed animals was sexually harassed at school, a place one expects our CHILDREN should be safe. A boy her age didn’t understand that it wasn’t acceptable to solicit valgur sexual acts from a classmate, either serious or not, because his parents hadn’t taught him that. I sure hope it wasn’t because his father was worried about his kids “masculinity”

I am with you Craig.

Does the fact that it was a razor blade company take away from the message of the video?

Yes it does. The fact that they are totally hypocritical and don't actually care ruins the whole thing for me sorry. It is kind of like someone you know is a huge liar give you a lecture on telling the truth. I just don't believe they care.

Your real life situation is crappy and you seem like a great dad looking to sort it out.

Yes it does. The fact that they are totally hypocritical and don't actually care ruins the whole thing for me sorry.
I’m going to start with a disclaimer - I work for a major world wide corporation that’s nearly 200 years old.

Brands change. They change as the people working for them change. Baby boomers are retiring and Gen x and Millennials are increasing the majority of the workforce. Are companies trying to gain market share and increase profits? Of course they are, but what’s wrong with doing so while also supporting important social issues and corporate citizenship? Nike recently released their ad - it sold a shit load of sneakers but also carried an important message. I don’t know if you have kids or how old they are, but mine are glued to social media and YouTube. They are getting these messages, watching these videos, and if they encourage positive change in society while increasing my 401k - well that’s just upside I guess.

A woman’s choice of what she wears isn’t objectification. My kid can’t wear leggings/yoga pants to school unless her shirt covers her butt, but she wears them 100% of the rest of the time - skin tight pants certainly are her prerogative and they aren’t objectifying anything. But a company who slaps their logo on the back of said clothing/uniform is guilty of objectifying women?

Do you honestly think Gillette cares? That is the real question. If you think they are sincere then by all means its great. I really don't believe they are being sincere at all.

You honestly don't think that image posted by FDL is objectifying women? I am not saying it is bad in and of itself. But the fact that they want to put girls in super tight outfits with their brand on it and then at the same time run a commercial all about the moral high ground and not checking out girls is pretty fucking confusing. So what do you guys actually stand for? Oh wait you don't stand for anything except making a buck.

I have no problem with companies having their primary goal being profit. Indeed, that is what companies should be doing. Just don't patronize me and pretend like you care about making the future better or whatever song and dance your advertising people come up with.

It is manipulative.

Just tell me your razors are the best and I can decide if I like them or not. Don't blow smoke up my ass about how you want to stop bullying and make society better.

Do you honestly think Gillette cares? That is the real question.
I believe the people who work at Gillette care. Gillette is a corporate entity, but the people on whatever team who decided to put out this ad, they care, and kuddos to them.

I believe the people who work at Gillette care. Gillette is a corporate entity, but the people on whatever team who decided to put out this ad, they care, and kuddos to them.

Well there you go. That really sums it up.

I think they were trying to gain market share with the younger crowd so came out with a commercial that suits the trends of the times.

Maybe I am just a cynical curmudgeon.

Well there you go. That really sums it up.

I think they were trying to gain market share with the younger crowd so came out with a commercial that suits the trends of the times.

Maybe I am just a cynical curmudgeon.
Perhaps they were, but in my opinion they did a fine job doing so. It gave me an opportunity to have a discussion that just hopefully keeps my kid from being the next Brock Turner who sees a drunk girl as "just another piece of ass".

This reminds me of the Pepsi commercial that came out a while ago. They had all the elements that they thought young people wanted to see.
Some element of social justice with the setting being a riot. They made sure the cast was diverse with regards to gender, religion, and race. To me it just comes off as forced and corny.

But then on the other hand I am not the target audience for ads like this. Maybe you are right that kids will internalize all this messaging and make society better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom