Do you have a wet bar in your game room? (1 Viewer)

ATLarchip

Straight
Reaction score
I have an unfinished ~780 sf basement with bathroom that we’re looking to finish out to make into a family room/guest room/game room for poker, and am getting prices from contractors. I’d like to have a wet bar (cabinets, under counter fridge, ice maker, counter, small sink) but that would mean running pipes and knocking/repairing concrete. This would put us over budget. It would be closer to within budget if we don’t add the wet bar option. So I’m wondering, is having a wet bar worth it? Another option would be to buy a bar that’s more like a piece of furniture. This obviously wouldn’t have the fridge, sink, ice maker. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

@Seeking Alpha Social Club has an awesome bar-like set up in his newly finished basement. I gotta say having the fridge and all the accessories is a huge convenience opposed to running upstairs or grabbing a drink from a cooler.

Also - not really a suggestion one way or the other. I think in the long run I would go for the set up opposed to adding it later

Do you like being the bartender? If so it could be a good idea. But if not, I’d recommend a walk up bar. You can have an ice maker in the fridge or just use an ice bucket on the nights you have a game.

Also a true walk behind bar takes up A LOT more space than a walk up bar.

Wet bar in progress....still waiting on back ordered cabinets from Cabinets To Go. There will be a sink and mini fridge.
FC693BA1-036E-4250-9FED-2DF7B3DC63DA.jpeg

I have an unfinished ~780 sf basement with bathroom that we’re looking to finish out to make into a family room/guest room/game room for poker, and am getting prices from contractors. I’d like to have a wet bar (cabinets, under counter fridge, ice maker, counter, small sink) but that would mean running pipes and knocking/repairing concrete. This would put us over budget. It would be closer to within budget if we don’t add the wet bar option. So I’m wondering, is having a wet bar worth it? Another option would be to buy a bar that’s more like a piece of furniture. This obviously wouldn’t have the fridge, sink, ice maker. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I was in a similar situation in my old house. Skipped the wet bar because of everything you mentioned. I had mini fridges, etc.

However, I Made sure to have the perfect wet bar setup in my new house. HONESTLY...the only one that will notice the difference is you. As long as you have beer fridges...your peeps won't care. However, I LOVE my wet bar and dish washer now!! Makes my life so much easier at the end of the night!!

Wow. Thanks all for the feedback! I think this is confirming my main thought, which is a fridge is more important than a sink. So I think the bar can be fine/functional without a sink? The running of the pipes is what was the major cost.

I originally order a 1 beer fridge and 1 wine fridge from Lowes. Both were delivered damaged, so I returned them and went with the commercial grade beer cooler. Couldn't be happier!!
Nice! I originally wanted a kegerator, but the Misses said we’d get more use out of a refrigerator and ice maker instead. But now that the ice maker is out...

Nice! I originally wanted a kegerator, but the Misses said we’d get more use out of a refrigerator and ice maker instead. But now that the ice maker is out...
Dude...ice makers are stupid expensive. I want one, but will NOT spend that kind of money for one.

I had a kegerator...moderately expensive. Finally settled for the commercial grade beer cooler. Not necessarily cheep, but well worth the money. Full disclosure...I am planning on putting a refrigerator under my stairs, behind my wall, and running kegerator lines through the wall. But I will tell you...$700+ for a kegerator is way too much!!! I had one and will never do it again. Waste of time unless everybody in your basement drinks the same beer. Much better off paying for a good beer cooler that will satisfy everybody's need. :)

Dude...ice makers are stupid expensive. I want one, but will NOT spend that kind of money for one.

I had a kegerator...moderately expensive. Finally settled for the commercial grade beer cooler. Not necessarily cheep, but well worth the money. Full disclosure...I am planning on putting a refrigerator under my stairs, behind my wall, and running kegerator lines through the wall. But I will tell you...$700+ for a kegerator is way too much!!! I had one and will never do it again. Waste of time unless everybody in your basement drinks the same beer. Much better off paying for a good beer cooler that will satisfy everybody's need. :)
Yeah our buddy has an ice maker and he was telling us it’s very expensive, even depending on the shape of ice it makes.

How does the refrigerator and keg lines through the wall work? I think I have a similar layout in which the bar would be located adjacent to the wall under the stairs.

Yeah our buddy has an ice maker and he was telling us it’s very expensive, even depending on the shape of ice it makes.

How does the refrigerator and keg lines through the wall work? I think I have a similar layout in which the bar would be located adjacent to the wall under the stairs.
Fridge goes on the other side of the wall. Drill holes in the side of the fridges. Pretty straight forward. You just run the line through the wall (under the cabinets) and up to the beer taps that are either mounted to the wall, or on the counter top.

My next upgrade is adding some cabinets and I will add a sink as well. Luckily there is the furnace room with everything I need to tie into on the wall where my bar is now. I won’t have to bust any concrete to add it.

I only have one Barington table so I don't need enough volume to bother with a cooler. My problem is everyone seems to bring (and then try to drink) a 30 pack. I have a chest freezer that see no real usage now that the kids are grown and off on their own. I was thinking of converting that into a fridge.

As far as an ice maker goes - if you don't see a ton of mileage all at once a countertop ice maker will do the job. I got mine here https://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-...Sizes-and-Easy-to-Clean-Red-AI-215R/205504274 It has it's own little water tank so you don't run lines to it. Just pour some water in it and plug it in.

I only have one Barington table so I don't need enough volume to bother with a cooler. My problem is everyone seems to bring (and then try to drink) a 30 pack. I have a chest freezer that see no real usage now that the kids are grown and off on their own. I was thinking of converting that into a fridge.

As far as an ice maker goes - if you don't see a ton of mileage all at once a countertop ice maker will do the job. I got mine here https://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-...Sizes-and-Easy-to-Clean-Red-AI-215R/205504274 It has it's own little water tank so you don't run lines to it. Just pour some water in it and plug it in.
Thanks!! I always wondered if a countertop ice maker worked? Much cheaper than a $1500 under counter ice maker.

Fridge goes on the other side of the wall. Drill holes in the side of the fridges. Pretty straight forward. You just run the line through the wall (under the cabinets) and up to the beer taps that are either mounted to the wall, or on the counter top.
This is a great idea. I’ll definitely be looking into this option more. It saves space at the bar by not having the keg there. Thank you!
I have a walk up bar with a sink. If I did it again I'd get a slightly bigger sink. Having water right there is so much more convenient.
View attachment 568742
Amazing! This is pretty much what we had in mind. A walk up wet bar. Except a fridge where you have your kegerator. But now looking more like no sink as well. :(

I had no idea on this ice maker option. I think this is the way to go. You’re right in that we’d only really need the ice when we have people over. Thank you!

I don’t have my own poker room/bar/etc, but I can chime in on the portable/electric ice maker. I bought one last Christmas and the thing absolutely pumps out ice, requiring only a few cups of water to get going. I’m trying to find the model to post here, will do so when I find it. Certainly a great alternative to the real thing if you don’t mind adding water/transporting the fresh ice every so often.

Edit: Found it.
76E21388-3CC0-4C3A-8910-44BDCDBBAC59.jpeg

Are you doing a bathroom in your basement? As a poker player I appreciate a bathroom in the basement ( because you know beer...) much more than a wet bar or even a bar. And actually my wife really appreciates the basement bathroom because it makes it much quieter when she is upstairs sleeping while we are playing poker.
Only my opinion but I think bars a kind of overrated because everyone hangs out at the poker table.

Are you doing a bathroom in your basement? As a poker player I appreciate a bathroom in the basement ( because you know beer...) much more than a wet bar or even a bar. And actually my wife really appreciates the basement bathroom because it makes it much quieter when she is upstairs sleeping while we are playing poker.
Only my opinion but I think bars a kind of overrated because everyone hangs out at the poker table.
Got a good point here - why serve people drinks if they can't pee?

EXCELLENT point!! I originally did not have one before my basement was finished, but life is soooooooooo much better now that i do. Much more important than a beer fridge. :tup:

Yes. There is a bathroom framed out and plumbing stub outs already in place. :tup:

This x 100!!!

A bathroom in the basement is the first priority I would want too. The other features are gravy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom