Do you guys that play with two decks always play with matching decks? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

I assume most people play with two decks. Do you always play with two different colors of the same deck? I usually play with two different brands. Not sure why I started this. I think it just comes from two table tourneys where I always matched the deck colors with the best color contrast between the different color felts. I even for a while played with cards with different distinguishable faces. I remember this actually helped once where we noticed the wrong cards where in play in the same hand. I'm not sure how that could possibly have happened, but it did.

I always do, but I always buy decks in paired sets so it works out. Can't say I have ever had just one deck of something to need to use a different deck for deck 2

The reason why I asked the question is because I saw posts where people wouldn't buy single decks of one color without the other color available. I never understood that. As long as the cards are the same size and similar flex, makes no difference to me. I have found that it actually makes players more aware of card characteristics.

As long as they are distinguishable, it doesn't matter. For the record, I use 2 decks, different color, and different design.

Nothing worse than a two-table tournament with bridge width, jumbo pips on one table and poker width, standard pips on the other table.

I'd definitely prefer same index. However, I could see this happening. Host has two people willing to deal. One prefers bridge and the other poker (sizes). To accommodate dealers, who might be volunteers, I could get it. I can think of a lot of things worse, but it would be weird.

Another reason I could see it is the host doesn't have enough of the same size to handle the tournament. Yes, that could be fixed by more cards, but I've attended games where the host was very poorly prepared.

If I'm going to a game I've never played in and I don't know the host and their practices, I'll offer to bring equipment. If rejected, I'll still carry it but leave it in my car, or I might bring it in when the temperature here is in 4 digits (maybe a slight exaggeration) and use the excuse I wanted to show the host "my stuff." I wouldn't expect to play with it, but I'd have it, and it would be protected from the elements. Who knows, by showing it to others, they might be interested in coming to mine.

Let me give an example of an exception. CraigT78 has been to my game, but I've not been to his. I know from players who attended his game it is very well equipped! But I also know that just from talking to him. I could also know it by reading his posts here and seeing pics. If I make it to his game, I'll see no reason to take my own equipment. His may be better than mine anyway. :)

Wedge, I've actually had that experience! I'm not sure whether that takes the cake for bad preparation or bad execution. :)

Let me put it in a language everyone can understand.

Unless this is acceptable to you, use matching decks:

Screenshot_20200830-095924.jpg

Last edited:
Wedge, the reason I don't use matching backs is because I want to have as many unique set ups for tournaments as possible. I have 4 different backs. By mixing, I can replace a set up with a unique set up. We can go several months before a combination is re-used. I used to play in a game where they basically had multiple set ups, but all were matching. Due to poor card handling practices, cards sometimes got mixed up. One night two different tables played with fouled decks because all the cards were identical.

I'll be the first to admit that one advantage of all matching decks is that if you have one ruined card, you might retire that deck and use it as a hangar queen for other damaged decks of the same back and color. A hangar queen, in this context, for those who don't know is a deck that can be used to replaced damaged cards from other decks. It's not perfect as sometimes the difference in wear is noticeable.

YES
is the only acceptable answer to the OP's question, anything else is just savage.

Doesn’t have to be same brand or pattern but same size. 2 bridge size or 2 poker

If the physical size, index size, and material type (plastic, paper) are the same, I'm OK with unmatched decks. In fact, if the faces were slightly different hues, the rare stray card would be so easy to spot.

Nothing worse than a two-table tournament with bridge width, jumbo pips on one table and poker width, standard pips on the other table.
I can easily think of something worse. Those two decks on the SAME table. (From duplicate bridge experience, where you'll see 20 or so different decks in a session, and having similar indices on all of them makes it a lot easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom