Do you Discuss Chip Theft at Your Games? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
So, I've seen some posts about disappearing chips over at CT here and there. It seems like it's a rare occurrence, but something that does happen. I've never really cared about this problem with China clays, but have a moderate concern now that I own a set of Paulsons.

That said, I'm putting my SPM chips into play next week, and am debating making an announcement about the chips when I make the welcome announcement and discuss the basic house rules of play. Most people in my group are close friends of mine, but there are always a few plus-ones, and friends of friends who show up who I don't know too well. I was thinking of just saying that we're using nicer chips, and that I would like them all to make it back to the racks at the end of the night. Basically - please don't take any souvenirs!

Is this rude? Unnecessary? Will it just draw more attention to the chips? Should I leave it alone?

Thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks!

Well, I can see that being a problem in tournaments, but cash games, chips have to be traded back in for cash. So, in cash games, all chips should be accounted for?

We normally run tournaments, and I double-check the chip denoms after they are removed from the tables during colour-ups. If any aren't accounted for, the tourney remains halted until they are located. While that means that my high denom chips are most at risk, it's not hard to keep track of them at the game's end. That said, most of the players know I'm a bit (ok, very...) OCD about my stuff, even if I don't own high end chips, so I haven't had any go missing.

I haven't had to announce anything, and I don't think I should have to. It's theft, and that's not acceptable for anything (chips, etc).

I don't have any concerns about this in Dhahran for the usual gang. I am concerned with chip security at the Denver meet up. There will be many sets around and up to three in play at any time I think. I just bought 4 locking storage cases to handle the chipes that aren't being played. What would I do for the main event with my customs? We are all members here and know that chipes are sacred. If I vouched for a friend of mine to attend somebody's meet up, I'd be sure my friend knew that not cashing all their chipes or removing them from the table during a tourney are no nos. It's all cool everyone will get a main event chip.

Out of curiosity @slisk250 , what would be concerning to you at the meet up? I know the last meet up I was at there were thousands of very valuable and rare chips on display in a separate room the entire day and I didn't think twice about it. I guess mostly the reason is I feel im a decent reader of people's decency and nobody I talked to raised a red flag. Is it the amount of people, the amount of chips, you not knowing people personally? In all honesty I feel like I could give the key to my house to all the chippers I've met off the board and not be the least bit concerned. Again, not criticizing your feeling, just curious what gives you pause.

Edit to add: now that I think about it, chips locked up out of sight at a chipper get together just feels wrong. We don't collect meth, nobody's going to be filling their pockets. ;) :p

Last edited:
I don't worry about chip theft. I see this the same as inviting friends over for dinner - I don't lock up the silver or count down the knives and forks as folks are leaving.

If I were going to worry, it would be about an extra $100 showing up at the end of cash outs. But I don't worry about that either.

DrStrange

Never ever crossed my mind about chip theft. I dont think many of the players who frequent my games even care what they are using to play with. Again with cash, they want to trade them in for real cash at the end. Tourney would be slightly more concerning but at a $50 buy in level, Im not to worried

Out of curiosity @slisk250 , what would be concerning to you at the meet up? I know the last meet up I was at there were thousands of very valuable and rare chips on display in a separate room the entire day and I didn't think twice about it. I guess mostly the reason is I feel im a decent reader of people's decency and nobody I talked to raised a red flag. Is it the amount of people, the amount of chips, you not knowing people personally? In all honesty I feel like I could give the key to my house to all the chippers I've met off the board and not be the least bit concerned. Again, not criticizing your feeling, just curious what gives you pause.

Edit to add: now that I think about it, chips locked up out of sight at a chipper get together just feels wrong. We don't collect meth, nobody's going to be filling their pockets. ;) :p

You are missing the point. There will be others who bring chips to the meet up. I want their chips safe when they aren't in play.

Probably best not to mention, as it might draw attention to the concept. don't walk on the grass, don't date that guy, dont play with the light socket, are all phrases that almost never end well.

I'm not so sure I am.

I don't leave my chips out anyway. I don't collect samples, nothing is on display. They come out to play. If we are sitting around looking at chips, that is one thing, otherwise they are put away always. A question was asked, gave my opinion. I also asked some advice about running a big meet up from some of the most trusted people here. It was mentioned that an ounce of prevention wouldn't be a bad idea. This includes the money and chipes. I don't feel it necessary to tell chippers what is obvious (the original question).

Ok man, I didn't realize you had talked to so many people that are so far over my head, that's my fault entirely. I was only asking a question, no need to get so defensive, but now that I've been put in my place because I didn't consult the Council of Golden Chariot Riding Gods I'll change my opinion. :D

I don't specifically mention anything about it. Half of my invite list is made up of some of my closest friends. The other half aren't far behind - or guys that I've met through these guys. There would be a serious discussion if any of my chips went missing though.

Nope, I've actually consulted with some of the most trusted security experts I could find on craigslist and they also agree that a metric ton of prevention is worth a gram of pure uncut bolivian dancing powder...wait, what? Anyway, I agree and am now worried about chips at any and all future meet ups here at 12thMan's by the Lake. I jumped on Amazon and ordered up a new door for the chip room, installed it a few minutes ago. Reviews are great on this model, shipping can be a bitch but I got Prime so whatevs.

Fort-Knox-Gold-Vault-Door-picture-ICSw_zpsszvofeek.jpg

Last edited:
Ok man, I didn't realize you had talked to so many people that are so far over my head, that's my fault entirely. I was only asking a question, no need to get so defensive, but now that I've been put in my place because I didn't consult the Council of Golden Chariot Riding Gods I'll change my opinion. :D

I'm trying to understand why you think I'm putting you in your place? You asked why, I told you. I never attacked your statement in any way unless I'm missing something. If disagreeing with you is defensive, then I'm guilty as charged but never intended to tilt you if that is the case. You said I'm missing the point. I disagree as you didn't know where I was coming from You are welcome at my home any time you like. Just ask and I'll get out all the chips too.

The comment about the council was followed by a smiley so I'll take that as a joke and not a dig but I'll respond to it anyway. I've never run a meet up that could have people spending big bucks just to come from out of state. I want it to run well and hope everyone has a good time. Asking the people who run the very best PCF meet ups about security, drunken players, etc. is just being smart. One of them said they keep money and chips under lock and key at all times. Good enough for me as I do that anyway. Come to Denver I promise you will see chips and have a good time.

Love the carpet, and the whole - "No-one is leaving until I say the game is over" thing ;)

I got a good deal on the carpet from the Ramada Inn down the road when they remodeled @Phantom , I like it, very understated and dare I say, classy. ;)

@slisk250 , of course I'm just joking around, but I'm joking from my side of my opinion (if that makes any sense). Trust me, I'm not acting like those kind of things wouldn't cross my mind and I'm definitely not saying you are crazy for keeping the money in a central and secure location, but I do think saying things like "I am worried about the chips at a meet up" (not a direct quote I know) is a bit odd. Hard to explain from my end through a keyboard, but I liken the feeling of being worried about chips and money at a meet up to the feeling of getting broken into in the middle of the night. Do I worry about it? Yeah, I guess at least a little that's why I lock my door at night, set the alarm, and know what I have to defend my family with at the ready, but I'm not worried about it in the sense that it bothers me. Same thing with chips at a meet up, I would consider common sense approaches to security on all fronts, but never would I worry about it any more than I would worry about other valuables in my house being taken during any sort of get together.

Last edited:
It's all good glad you aren't riled 'cause I'm not. I think the keyboard comment fits both in this case. If we were chatting about it in person, I doubt I would come off the same way. I trust who I play with.

I remember the insane collection of chips on display at red belly's for roundup on the ridge last year. People, even non-chippers, were all very respectful. I saw many chips handled and put right back in racks. I also get nervous, but suppress this feeling when I host. I have all chips accounted for. Until someone shows me otherwise, I will give them that respect. I'd just keep a respectful watch of your home and your chips and remember that most people want to be invited back to play.

Nope, I've actually consulted with some of the most trusted security experts I could find on craigslist and they also agree that a metric ton of prevention is worth a gram of pure uncut bolivian dancing powder...wait, what? Anyway, I agree and am now worried about chips at any and all future meet ups here at 12thMan's by the Lake. I jumped on Amazon and ordered up a new door for the chip room, installed it a few minutes ago. Reviews are great on this model, shipping can be a bitch but I got Prime so whatevs.

Fort-Knox-Gold-Vault-Door-picture-ICSw_zpsszvofeek.jpg
get those chairs on craigslist? ;)

I remember the insane collection of chips on display at red belly's for roundup on the ridge last year. People, even non-chippers, were all very respectful. I saw many chips handled and put right back in racks. I also get nervous, but suppress this feeling when I host. I have all chips accounted for. Until someone shows me otherwise, I will give them that respect. I'd just keep a respectful watch of your home and your chips and remember that most people want to be invited back to play.

I didn't even touch, just admired. It was most definitely insane.

get those chairs on craigslist? ;)

They came from Boeing surplus in Everett!

This is also true with my group. Most have no idea of chip cost and they'd probly be just as happy with dice chips.

Only one of my regular players has any idea what quality chips costs, the rest of the players would be like "you're joking right"?. But I've never had a single complaint about my chips :)

I get a little tilty when I see a player handle the chips a tad rougher than I would prefer but I've never said anything about it.

If you've got non chippers attending I'd make a very brief comment; maybe half in jest...something like you're hoarding them for your child's tuition.

Its a valid question. does anyone have a WSOP chip? if so you have stolen property. its not inconcievable that someone would wnat your chips.

BUT

If you announce anything youre pretty much saying "friends i dont trust you, so im watching you" Not a good way to start friendships.

moreover what if one goes missing and it turns up later? Its just a bad idea all round.

I have semi custom mint paulsons. I try not to count them in case one or 2 go missing. this is because it would do my head in.

and i dont want to do my head in...

But I compleatly understand your conerns. but here is no good outcome from doing it.

Great post! I've thought about this a lot. This is why I've only gone after cash sets that I would consider valuable (paulsons). I usually play cash with 80% people I know. Now, most these people know me to be a real nice guy who goofs around a bit too much. But I'm pretty sure that they understand that if a few of my chips, that they have asked about out of curiosity, and have been impressed when I explained how I acquired them, should come up missing, I would not be f%*king around at that point. Not that I consider myself some tough guy, but I do look half Neanderthal.
When I get a tourney set together they will be Majestics. If some get taken by an actual Neanderthal then they're easily replaced.

I am paranoid by nature, so if I were to host (which I don't, see other post about bank and hosting), the set I am using is locked, the other sets are far away. I about had a melt down when about 5 cards went missing from a new deck of KEM cards I brought to a game one time, but I just swallowed a bunch of beer and let it go (mostly).

I was surprised going to my first CT/PCF meet up at The Hitching Post this year (awesome, btw) that BGinGA had a case of chips and an envelope for cash sitting in a quiet area saying something about honor system and the price of the chips. The chips I brought to sell to ChaosRock were way down at the bottom of my backpack and I woke him up from his nap outside and said "hi, wanna buy these chips?" just so I didn't have to worry about them sitting in my bag all day. Of course, as the day progressed, I realized this was not the usual degenerates one encounters in the poker world and would absolutely be fine leaving cash sitting on the tables at the Post.

I suppose paranoia first, trust but verify second, then cautiously comfortable. Only wife gets the "true trust". Unfortunately, money makes people do bad things, and some people see chips as money instead of mini Picassos. I am amazed the number of trusted employees I have seen that steal from their employers, some after 15-20 years of faithful service, so maybe I am a bit more jaded than most.

I guess I would stick with "trust, but verify" for my game if I know most people, limits misunderstandings and bad feelings. Good enough for nuclear weapons, good enough for my chips.

BiGGyT

I am one of those that has had a single chip "disappear" after a tournament one night. I was confronted with many possibilities: Did I miscount, did it roll under something, did someone slip it in their pocket switching tables (I know it's wrong, and I have racks accessible but I don't baby-sit someone moving tables) and forget about it, or was it theft?

Because things are a little hectic coloring up 3 tables, I don't try to count chips (other than what is needed to color-up). By the next event, the chip was still missing, despite a complete house cleaning and new furniture. I could then rule out everything except theft. But what do you do then? It's not that the chip is crazy valuable, it's just difficult to replace. Luckily, CPC supplied extra chips so the set isn't broken, and racks are still full.

I chose to not mention it. My guests are my friends and +1s. One player lost his invite (+1) privileges when I found out that he only met the "friend" once before, and at a poker game - so a virtual stranger (though the guest was a nice guy and well behaved/respectful). The truth is, when guests invite guests, you may wind up with people that are less savory. I mention to new players that take an interest in the chips that they are in fact expensive, and virtually irreplaceable without significant outlay of funds, just so they know the "souvenir" is more important to me than it is to them.

At a meet-up, I have far less concern. Except for the locals, everyone there knows the value of chips, both on a per-chip basis and the add-on cost to replace basis. I never felt any concern of any sort there - even if one rolled away, I have zero doubt that it would be eventually found and find it's way back home.

I've never had a chip disappear and never felt the need to mention anything about it when I host. I'm sure if I had chips that had disappeared and I suspected theft I might feel differently

I've "lost" 2 chips in all the years of hosting. imo it's not worth mentioning as it draws attention and eventually most players know they're using valuable chips, etc.

The first was one of these, may have been their maiden voyage years ago in my tourney crowd. I made the mistake of mentioning how rare they were and when one came up missing one of my "friends" thought it'd be hilarious to tell me he took it, and let me believe it for 3 weeks. I eventually found it in the poker room.
full

The other was after a DCS meat-up. A T1000 was missing and I couldn't find it. I knew nobody present would have taken it, but it took 2 weeks and many searches. Finally found it under the large video game in the poker room lol.

full

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom