Do you call this river jam? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Been back to playing fast fold (Blitz on ACR) as there wasnt enough opportunity to sit at a "regular" table.
HUD stats arent super-meaningful except BB's 3! which was a bit high but not >12

HJ RFI for 2.5BB. Hero flats. BB HUD has 11% 3! with a decent sample size so there is some risk of getting 3! here and my flat is not GTO.
But I decide to gamble with a sexy hand. BB calls and we're going 3 ways to a flop.

1664236159624.png

Hero flops the second nuts. Checks to Hero who bets small (1 BB) to get some money in the pot.
I worry that betting much larger will get folds and I want calls. I could have gone 2BB but at 3BB I think I'm getting folds on this board.
Both players do call.

1664236274126.png

Turn hits HJ's range and it X to me so I decide to go larger, hoping someone has a K or a FD.
Hero bets 3/4 pot. BB folds and HJ calls. Sweet.

River hits HJ's range again and the FD doesnt come in. I think KK & AA probably would have raised turn with the FD out there so I think I'm best here.
I am hoping V has Kx but with the A out there I feel that I need to bet smaller to get a call. I bet a few clicks under 1/2 pot.

1664236438268.png

V jams - Hero?

1664236584585.png

Attachments

• 1664236080618.png
    1664236080618.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 49
Feels like torching money, but I'm a nit.

You bet 3 streets. Pretty easy for OPP to give you an 8 in range.

"River hits HJ's range again and the FD doesnt come in. I think KK & AA probably would have raised turn with the FD out there so I think I'm best here.
I am hoping V has Kx but with the A out there I feel that I need to bet smaller to get a call. I bet a few clicks under 1/2 pot."

I don't think I'm ever raising the turn here with KK or AA. KK is the effective nuts and AA is in a way ahead/way behind spot when you're already repping an 8.

That river check jam shouts strength, bot KK and AA are banking on you having that 8 that you're repping. Additionally you're now losing to one combo of A8dd which could play it this way as well. On the river we're facing 100bb to win 150bb, getting laid 1.5:1 I think I'm comfortable bet-folding and shrugging it off.

"River hits HJ's range again and the FD doesnt come in. I think KK & AA probably would have raised turn with the FD out there so I think I'm best here.
I am hoping V has Kx but with the A out there I feel that I need to bet smaller to get a call. I bet a few clicks under 1/2 pot."

I don't think I'm ever raising the turn here with KK or AA. KK is the effective nuts and AA is in a way ahead/way behind spot when you're already repping an 8.

That river check jam shouts strength, bot KK and AA are banking on you having that 8 that you're repping. Additionally you're now losing to one combo of A8dd which could play it this way as well. On the river we're facing 100bb to win 150bb, getting laid 1.5:1 I think I'm comfortable bet-folding and shrugging it off.
I think A8 is raising turn.

I make what I think is a pretty straightforward call, but don’t love it obviously.

I think A8 is raising turn.
That's a fair assumption, so we're basically losing to 6 combos of KK and AA along with the occasional 22 if HJ is opening that.

Yes I was praying that he was jamming with AK
I don't think I'm ever jamming AK here. I'm happily calling your bet and expecting to see an 8 a lot of the time.

So do you call?

Generally, that huge overbet screams that he doesn't want a call. I think that any hand that beats you except 22 and 82 would've popped you on the turn (and unlikely he has 82 based on PF action). Still, I gotta be pretty sure against this guy. Against an unknown, I'm strongly considering a puke fold.

Feels like torching money, but I'm a nit.

A fold is a small loss. A bad call is a huge loss.

I see this is the PokerTracker replay... What is the percentage next to the username?

I think my sizings messed with his head somehow.
% in PT is equity but it only shows in the replay - I think if I'm hiding hole cards in the replay it might not be accurate.

Generally, that huge overbet screams that he doesn't want a call. I think that any hand that beats you except 22 and 82 would've popped you on the turn (and unlikely he has 82 based on PF action). Still, I gotta be pretty sure against this guy. Against an unknown, I'm strongly considering a puke fold.
I agree with this 100% ^^^

Unless you think your opponent is capable of buffing, River jam are always almost nut or they are playing with micro stake where they are able to take a couple punt due to the low stake

I find myself often overcalling all in river jam at micro stake and overfolding at regular stake at the same spot

Villain just basically never has AA or KK here as played. He's never checking the dryest board in the world with KK or AA when he can bet smallish and get called by all sorts of stuff that is drawing to runner runner or 2 outs.

We are only losing to 22, T8s, and A8s I think. And the line from him STILL doesn't make much sense for those hands.

Played it fine, though I would have been slightly bigger on flop, like 2-2.5bb. but that's whatever. Accomplishes the same thing. Easy call on river, if he played something in a goofy way then so be it. But his line makes no sense. When lines make no sense, I usually call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom