Do I need the 500s? (1 Viewer)

4RunnerRunner

Two Pair
Reaction score
Dedicated micro-stakes set for friendly neighborhood game (.01 multiplier; nickel/dime blinds; $10-$20 buy in/rebuy). Originally, there was only going to be a barrel of the blaze 1Ks, but these things happen…

The 25s and 100s seem to serve as joint work horses in this game. Am I crazy for thinking the 500s just kinda add an unnecessary denom with (now) plenty of 1Ks as the value chip? Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.
CD5F5C10-0B9A-4111-B337-50B06D3396D1.jpeg

Not unnecessary, but you need a lot less than you think. Blinds are $5/$10, right? With those blinds, you only need at most a barrel of $500s per table.

Agreed with above. The $5 plays better at our table, plus its = to a barrel of .25s. My players wouldnt desperately miss the 5s, but they help keep things running smoothly.

Edit: big picture, do whatever you want. We're the only mooks that will care. Just make sure people have fun, both racks are beautiful chips.

Need? No. Nice to have? Yes! You can always use one or the other depending on which one you're feeling that night. (& if the bank breaks you can introduce the one you didn't choose)

For this set (as with many other sets), I would skip the 500s mainly because of dirty stack issues (with the 100s). Dark purple is always gonna have dirty stack issues - that’s why I always jump to 43 mm for my 500s (unless I am using a stand out color like pink or even lavender). One of the regular games I play in uses this exact set and we skip the 500s for this reason going right to the 1ks.

The problem with the 500s is that they block the 1000s from ever seeing felt. And those are glorious chips man!

I have a similar problem, I have some awesome 100s for my set, but my also awesome 25s get all the play. We never need 100 chips with a whole rack of 25s to burn through.

Solution, gonna order some $20 denom stickers from gear and slap em on the hundos. And rotate 20 or 25 for fun.

In that set that you have, I would really be itching to have the orange on the felt. I would want to make them the main value chip. I would probably ditch the 500s and maybe even have Gear make 500 Overlabels to get as many on the felt as possible.

:)

Great comments, all. Many options and considerations to think about. Thank you

I like skipping the $500s, but both options work just fine. I'd decide based on how much i like the chips. For my IG set I did it mostly because I feel the $500s were pretty underwhelming, while the $1k is blaze and oversized with awesome spots.

I have:
200 x $1
400 x $5
200 x $25
100 x $100
20 x $1000

We play a really big 1/2 game. Had about 18000 in play last game. Had a handful of 1ks on the table in the end which was fun.
20220826_141944.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom