Do I need an Ultrasonic or not? (1 Viewer)

BHK25

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a small set of about 500 CPC chips that are in dire need of a good cleaning. I've never cleaned or oiled chips before and quite frankly have no idea what I'm doing. Should I invest in a cheap ultrasonic (if so any recommendations)? If not what's the quickest and easiest ways to get my nasty looking 1s back to new?? Thanks again for all the help! I'm planning to start collecting finally. So here goes nothing!!

Be careful with CPC chips and ultrasonic cleaning. TSP does not go well with them when using them. I was told Dawn soap and water for the cleaning.

Just using dish detergent?
Warm, not hot water.... Some Dawn, a soft toothbrush, a wooden skewer, and and magic eraser. Soak for a bit, and scrub them one at a time. I use the skewer lightly to break up any clumps. Then toothbrush to clean the faces, magic eraser for the edges, wash off, let dry on a towel for 24-48 hours with a flip half way between.

500 chips. No.

5000 chips. Yes.

Like others have said, maybe too harsh, test before committing.

Don't buy an ultrasonic for 500 chips. Borrow or rent, maybe.

(I think I'm edging close to 25,000 chips cleaned in my little Vevor unit since it was bought. And that's maybe 1 year ago.)

So I'm planning on having about 1200 chips to clean in the next couple weeks. Will a 3L ultrasonic be okay or do I need to get a 6L. I've seen the vevor 6L is highly recommended but I've found 3L at almost half the price. I was just wondering what is recommended P.S. Just tried cleaning by hand. Made it through 20 chips and quit.

I settled on the 3L 220w mophorn ultrasonic in the other threads. Paid 65 for it after a coupon on amazon. Ready to see how it does.

I recently did @daschuck77 PNY set through the ultrasonic. Got pretty good results. I did this yellow five by itself at the end to show him the difference on the exact same chip.

W1BAC.jpg
Y5AC.jpg
Y5BC.jpg

@BHK25 - I found the tub of "TSP" at Ace hardware. They didn't have it at Home Depot, Lowes, or Taylor. Not sure where you might find it locally to you. I did two tablespoons dissolved in six cups of water at about 110-115 degrees, which might be a strong-ish ratio, but I did them for 30 seconds, agitating with a wooden spoon. My Vevor machine doesn't actually heat, so I changed the water every 4 batches of 40 chips at a time. HTH.

The CPC labels are not attached well... Even take caution soaking! I do a quick rinse and Dawn dish soap on a magic eraser cut into 8 small squares. Throw them on a drying towel and try to get them dry as quick as possible. I oil pretty heavy and also had a problem with labels coming off after 2 days... I let them sit for 3 and everything was ok... These are not real Inlays just stickers... Be careful!!

Yeah I think I may just leave my CPCs alone for now lol. I have a set of 500 roadhouse chips coming in that will need cleaning. and then about 4-5 racks of Paris 1s that I will clean up if need be before getting rid of 2 racks of them. Also have 2 racks of Horseshoe Tunica 1s that will definitely need a bath. Got 2 racks of Horseshoe Tunica 5s too but I think I'm going to return them. I don't like playing with racks of live 5s at my games. To expensive.

Sounds like you have the itch pretty bad! Lol welcome to the club!! I wouldn't say don't clean them... Btw even cleaned and oiled it seems like those CPC just have a way of getting filthy quick... Not sure if it's the aggressive texture in the clay or just more pores in the clay but man a few hours in play them seem to get dirty again! What's your break down on the roadhouse set? Can't beat the value for the price on those! Fellow chipper Ben

Roadhouse Set. 300x5s. 80x25s 20x20s. Unfortunately I couldn't find any 1s so I just plan on using my Horseshoe Tunica 1s until I find them with that set even tho the molds don't match. And yes I definitely have jumped head first down the rabbit hole.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom