DIY Cardboard Poker Chip Boxes (1 Viewer)

cookiemonster

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I could not find a place to order Cardboard Chipboxes anywhere outside the US, took out my cutting plotter and decided to make my own.
I always wanted black ones anyway.

So, this is the current state: I have the bottom Part and the divider pretty much set. The box holds together without glue and has the same measurements as the Paulson one.
I'll do the top part later.

This is not really a cost effective way to do those, but you get to choose colors :D

If there's someone interested I could also do a 43mm Version, since i have not seen 43mm Boxes available anywhere.

IMG_9430.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

Screenshot at Aug 09 22-32-01.png

Nice project!
I tried to draw it myself before I found this post. The result is not that bad considering it's a "prototype"..
IMG_20201012_132719.jpg

Now I have to find a paper with the right thickness/gr.
Do you have any suggestions?

If there's someone interested I could also do a 43mm Version, since i have not seen 43mm Boxes available anywhere.

I'm working on my necromancy..

YES please, we'd love a 43mm version! and is there a hand tool you can use to make the perforations?

I'd be interested in a vector for the 39mm (and 43mm). Looks like OP never posted it to his second comment.

Been making my own tuck boxes for cards. Didn't even think about making chip boxes.

I'm working on my necromancy..

YES please, we'd love a 43mm version! and is there a hand tool you can use to make the perforations?
You wouldn't necessarily need the perforation, depending on the thickness of the cardstock. You could just score the dashed lines, using a ruler and then something pointy but not sharp enough to cut, e.g., a screwdriver head, a ballpoint pen where the ink's run out, or even the dull side of a butter knife tip.

Last edited:
This is cool! How easy would it be to adjust the dimensions? I have over 2000 PGI 8V chips, and only about 700 are in a set that I use right now. These chips are 71mm to the barrel, so they only fit 95 to a standard werneke box. I would love to make some boxes that would fit an entire rack.

I recreated the OP image (not exactly) using a length of 205mm (39mm chip + 2mm padding, times 5 rows of chips) and width (barrel height) of 69mm. The height of the bottom of the box is 26mm, 2/3rd of the diameter of a chip. For a regular-to-heavy cardstock, hopefully those extra millimeters account for the thickness of the cardstock.

I included 2mm padding between the barrels to account for the thickness of the paper divider. (Note the divider doesn't have to span the entire length of the box, but I kept to the original plans above.

I also created a lid (with holes to help lift the lid off) by added 2mm to the dimensions so that it'd fit over the bottom. I made the height of the lid 42mm.

SVG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLsU4SZ1XFDC332xqRjbLv2EACTZqN1E/view?usp=sharing (if you see a text file, just try to download it and keep the .svg extension and it should allow you to open it as a vector graphic)

This is all academic as I don't have cardstock paper large enough to create any part of this. If I'm ambitious, maybe I'll try a 25x4 config instead of the standard 20x5. That might fit on letter-size paper. Maybe get rid of the extra flaps on the end and depend on gluing/double-sided taping the flaps.

I can try to make a slightly larger version to accommodate the 8V CCs and also a 46mm version, but you've got to have some large sheets of cardstock to make them...

chipbox_39mm68mm.png

Back in the days (pre-pandemic) when I used to go into the office I always had access to printers that would print on 11 x 17 (tabloid) size paper. Not sure what sizes card stock comes in, but those expensive printers could typically be adjusted to print on just about anything. I could probably arrange to go to the office some day if I could figure all of this out. I tried doing playing card tuck boxes a few months ago, but could never get them to come out right... :cry:

I think I may finally have tuck boxes down:

tuckboxes.png

Starting off with a template from https://deckinabox.sgenoud.com/ helps. All the messing around with Inkscape creating my custom chip labels helped too. Now I can make my own custom by first creating a bunch of rectangles of the appropriate sizes and then piece them together and make the flap shapes and score lines (which is what I did for the chip boxes). I looked at Bicycle tuck boxes and added an extra fold so the lid opens further down and makes it easier to lift the cards out.

Actually printing/cutting can be a bit of a pain. I have 8.5x11 cardstock, which is fine for tuck boxes. My daughter's Cricut can do the precise cutting, and I can fit 2 tuck boxes on one sheet if I'm only cutting. But if I want to do print-and-cut so that I lay out the artwork in the Cricut and it prints the graphic with calibration guides and then the cutter can read and do precise cuts, the working size shrinks and I have to use an entire piece of cardstock to make one tuckbox. Also for some reason, it was having trouble with a single SVG with both the cut and the score, so I had to export the actual cut/graphics as a plain PNG, and the score marks as a separate vector and combine them in the Cricut software.

Lots and lots of trial and error involved!

Graphics for the Prestige was based on the tuck box for European Prestige graphics, which are red or blue, and I did a color substitution to match the purple and green (not pictured) decks I have.

technology.jpg

@TheOffalo I wish I could say I understood more than half of what you just wrote. But I don't. That's why when it comes to some things, especially of a graphics nature, I'm better off paying someone else to do it. I would love to have card tuckboxes with my cardroom logo on them, but with the amount of time it would take me to figure out how to do it, they'd be about $100 a piece...

Anyone successfully do a 43mm box? Whats the best weight stock to use thats strong enough yet can still be folded/formed?:unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom