DISQ (MD-50) Mold update (2 Viewers)

David Spragg

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Regrettably, we found during the current round of orders just about completed that the satisfactory output of this mold had deteriorated even further. We will continue to offer the mold but I have had to increase the prices for it. Right now I can't predict how much longer it will be serviceable. In any case it won't be in use again for some time now as we need all presses for other things for quite a few months.

No good news. Was about to send an order soon. On the other hand gives me time to save some more $ for a larger order :)

I'm guessing that the price increases are due to diminished production output because of damaged cups, along with excessive wastage for similar reasons.....

David, is this something that could be repaired (aka FDL), or something that will eventually render it unusable (aka Roman)? What (if anything) can we do to save this classic mold!? New cups? New shoes?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the price increases are due to diminished production output because of damaged cups, along with excessive wastage for similar reasons.....

David, is this something that could be repaired (aka FDL), or something that will eventually render it unusable (aka Roman)? What (if anything) can we do to save this classic mold!? New cups? New shoes?

impossible to repair anything. The cups for this mold are cast into the iron cavity. All one piece with nothing removable or repairable.

I'll play the Lottery. If I hit the jackpot, problem solved.... If not could a big group order thing fix things as we did last time? I assume for such a popular mold it would be also financially interesting to have it back in stock?

I'll play the Lottery. If I hit the jackpot, problem solved.... If not could a big group order thing fix things as we did last time? I assume for such a popular mold it would be also financially interesting to have it back in stock?

I repeat
"impossible to repair anything. The cups for this mold are cast into the iron cavity. All one piece with nothing removable or repairable."

As we have no master die we would be talking about $30-$35k to replace this one. Group buy would have to be 100,000 chips to cover that!!

I repeat
"impossible to repair anything. The cups for this mold are cast into the iron cavity. All one piece with nothing removable or repairable."

As we have no master die we would be talking about $30-$35k to replace this one. Group buy would have to be 100,000 chips to cover that!!

PS - not as popular as you might think. Probably only accounts for less than 5% of orders.

Reactions: BNM
Its not the end of the world! At least it is still in play. As its use is not too heavy it should be ok for a while longer as is.

With the roman mold and the smooth no mold gone, the E&C unavailable, and the MD-50 on deaths door, are there any plans to create another mold to fill the void? Is the FDL fixed completely, or is it an injured player just one big hit away from retiring?

Where did I say the MD-50 was on death's door?

The FDL is fine. We already introduced the jockey, and shortly 2 scroll molds.

A new mold costs in excess of $25,000 to produce.

Where did I say the MD-50 was on death's door?

The FDL is fine. We already introduced the jockey, and shortly 2 scroll molds.

A new mold costs in excess of $25,000 to produce.
Where did I say you said that? Those were my words. It's just that the way you described it sounded like it may not be in use much longer due to it becoming unservicable. I'm glad that it may still be available because I've been planning a set on that mold. It's a drag that it will cost more now, I just hope that the price increase doesn't push it out of my price range. It's interesting to hear that 2 more scroll molds are comming soon.

Incidentally, on the molds page of your website, there are some chips that are displayed upside down. The inlay is right side up but the shadows cast by the mold make it look like the design is convex rather than concave. If you flip them, I just turn my iPad around, they look correct. It's the MD-50, Jockey, Ewing, Roulette, and the Scroll. Also the 44mm A-Crest and Scroll. It's not as noticable on the Scroll molds, but if you look at them upside down they look more correct.

Is anyone aware of any quality issues with this mold?

I'm in the process of selecting a mold for my CPC set and this mold is one I'm considering. Just concerned there may issues with the chips if this mold is close to retirement.

Is anyone aware of any quality issues with this mold?

Not all chips are perfect, with one or two of the cups producing chips with very minor defects. Only adds to the unique character of the chips, imo. You should be able to see examples in any one of several MD-50 photo albums posted in the PCF gallery.

Not all chips are perfect, with one or two of the cups producing chips with very minor defects. Only adds to the unique character of the chips, imo. You should be able to see examples in any one of several MD-50 photo albums posted in the PCF gallery.

Thanks. So all chips are playable though, right?

Totally. Only a chip geek would even notice the minor flaws.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom