Disc Golf, anybody play? (1 Viewer)

12thMan

Full House
Reaction score
I played disc golf a little back in the day but just never got into it. Beginning of last summer a few of my buddies started playing and I pulled out the discs I bought back then and played a few rounds with them and was hooked. We started bringing a disc or two to the stick golf course and we would throw them down the fairway while playing our balls and use the ball washer next to the next hole as the “hole”. By the end of the summer we were playing five rounds of disc golf to every round of stick golf we played.

I’m definitely hooked and enjoying the game a lot. Just recorded my best round so far at the course in my city I like the best, +4 for 19 holes. Really looking forward to beating that course one day. The baskets are unlike any I’ve played anywhere else and a “gimmie” on normal baskets could be major problems with these depending on what side you are on; they are directional. Makes for very good practice, you not only have to make the shot to the basket through all the trees but also remember which side to play from.

58F95F87-799F-4938-B56B-2E9BAF82E621.png

An old buddy went from zero to all-in on disc golf 10 or 12 years ago and still manages to spend most of his time doing it. There are tournaments and gatherings around here all the time for those who are so inclined.

I haven’t had time or energy to get out much in a while, but can think of many worse ways to spend an afternoon. Between the gorge and coast range, there are dozens of courses within an hour of the city.

tldr - I suck at disc golf but enjoy a beer with friends in the woods.

I used to really enjoy disc golf, and I miss it. My playing buddies either moved away or can’t play anymore due to injury (like rotator cuff, which makes disc golf just impossible).

I really should see if I can get a new group together this spring- thanks for the inspiration!

I loved playing disc golf, and I used to make it out daily. A big downfall was that it seemed like there were A LOT of shady people that played. It got to be a huge annoyance, and I eventually gave up playing. Still have about a dozen discs that have a pile of dust on them. Might need to brush them off one of these days.

I played a number of times when I lived in Dallas when we had multiple courses in greenbelts near our house. It was a lot of fun, but we just played casually with maybe 8 discs total between my wife and I. I haven't played in years now, but I want to introduce my kids to it.

I remember there was one course we went to that had a lot of serious players. Many of them had the shoulder bags with a bunch of discs, but the really serious guys had little carts with like 30 discs on them. They seemed rather annoyed waiting for us as we banged our discs off of trees and took like 10 shots to get to the basket.

The tricky thing down there was that most of the courses were along creeks, so the discs would wind up in the creek constantly. I eventually made an extendable pole with a hook on the end for retrieving discs.

My buddies and I used to play a lot of disc golf in high school and college. I used to be pretty good at it. Took the family out for the first time in YEARS last summer. On a course that didn't exist when I used to play. Seems courses have gotten a lot more difficult in the past 25 years :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I play pretty regular. I gave up ball golf a few years back because I couldnt devote the time to it any more. DG scratches that itch, I can practice with my dogs in the yard, and I can play a round in an hour.

There are a few shady people that play for sure though....but there are also some really great people (kinda like another game I love). It's about selecting the people you want to spend time with that will be success or failure in your fun. I LOVE that it's free for the most part as well!

pdga #113962

I just picked up the game. Bought a 3 pack at Wal-Mart, and been chucking it at a few courses. I have maybe played 5 rounds. I have yet to keep score.

Likes: Outdoors, good core exercise, not as boring as walking, easy to play, easy entry, inexpensive to get into, lesser and more skilled players can play together, and wives/GFs can either play or walk, and can play a round in about an hour.

Dislikes: 1) Large groups who think it's the pro tour. One time we got behind a group of 6. Each dude has a suitcase with wheels of discs. Each suitcase easily had about 30 discs. And they followed the real golf etiquette of waiting on the furthest guy out play and not going to their disc even though they were all over the place. Each toss would take 30 seconds as they did several practice motions every time. Not to mention it took them 15 minutes on the teebox 1 as they warmed up. We went around them. We finished 18 and they were just finishing the 9th. They easily turned a 1 hour exercise into at least 3 hours.

Tell me about these "shady" people.

Tell me about these "shady" people.

The shady people from my post was in reference to drug users. Of course, that led to some cars getting broken into and vandalized. It became more stress being worried about coming back to a vehicle with a broken window and missing property...

The shady people from my post was in reference to drug users. Of course, that led to some cars getting broken into and vandalized. It became more stress being worried about coming back to a vehicle with a broken window and missing property...

Everywhere I have played, they are generally parks/greenbelts. Everyone is active doing something. If anyone was just hanging around doing nothing, yeah that is not good, and I'd wouldn't play there.

I play pretty regular. I gave up ball golf a few years back because I couldnt devote the time to it any more. DG scratches that itch, I can practice with my dogs in the yard, and I can play a round in an hour.

There are a few shady people that play for sure though....but there are also some really great people (kinda like another game I love). It's about selecting the people you want to spend time with that will be success or failure in your fun. I LOVE that it's free for the most part as well!

pdga #113962

Where do you play around RVA - just in Bryant park? I grew up right next to a course in VB and would play all the time. Haven't tried out the courses around Richmond

Where do you play around RVA - just in Bryant park? I grew up right next to a course in VB and would play all the time. Haven't tried out the courses around Richmond
-Bryan Park
-Gillies Creek
-The Village

Holler if you want to play! I'd be happy to show you around....we need to get together anyways to plan a game.

Of course there is a thread already for disc golf!

I played over 10 years ago very casually for about a year.

Over the last several years, I've been watching PDGA on youtube JOMEZ, GK, etc.
Some of my friends have had a resurging interest in it (last 2 years) and I finally went out and played 36 holes this past Saturday. Social distancing was pretty good and you're outside to boot. Most people on the course were wearing masks.

I was mostly terrible, but had 3 fantastic tee shots (out of 36) and one basket skip off approach shot from 100+. Plenty of shanks and trees hit.

I ordered a few disks and they're coming in today, so I'm pretty excited to do some field work.

"Disc golf" is a favorite game with my buddies, when we go camping. We all grab a drink, a disc, and head out into the woods. We all decide on a tree or other target in the distance, and the game begins. Once we reach that target, we find another one. I'm sure the other people camping in the area just love our obnoxious group of idiots. But it's fun.

Last edited:
Of course there is a thread already for disc golf!

I played over 10 years ago very casually for about a year.

Over the last several years, I've been watching PDGA on youtube JOMEZ, GK, etc.
Some of my friends have had a resurging interest in it (last 2 years) and I finally went out and played 36 holes this past Saturday. Social distancing was pretty good and you're outside to boot. Most people on the course were wearing masks.

I was mostly terrible, but had 3 fantastic tee shots (out of 36) and one basket skip off approach shot from 100+. Plenty of shanks and trees hit.

I ordered a few disks and they're coming in today, so I'm pretty excited to do some field work.
What course did you play? I used to play more often when I lived in Dallas, but I haven't played much in Denver. A few months ago our Scout troop went and played Fehringer Ranch for a couple hours and it was fun to play again. A few Scouts in our troop have done maintenance on that course for their Eagle Scout projects, so it's fun that the troop has a connection to it.

What course did you play? I used to play more often when I lived in Dallas, but I haven't played much in Denver. A few months ago our Scout troop went and played Fehringer Ranch for a couple hours and it was fun to play again. A few Scouts in our troop have done maintenance on that course for their Eagle Scout projects, so it's fun that the troop has a connection to it.
Valmont in Boulder. All par 3s, with no water, so very beginner friendly! Only 40 min from my house, and was 1/2 way from the friends I was meeting.

I’m gonna see if there is a course down near us. Do you have any to recommend? (I’ll look up Fehringer Ranch.)

Valmont in Boulder. All par 3s, with no water, so very beginner friendly! Only 40 min from my house, and was 1/2 way from the friends I was meeting.

I’m gonna see if there is a course down near us. Do you have any to recommend? (I’ll look up Fehringer Ranch.)
I liked Fehringer Ranch. It seems to be one of the better courses in the area, but I don't really know. It was laid out well, not too many trees. There are some creeks and irrigation ditches to cross. One of the ditches that was usually dry actually had water in it and we had to fish a few discs out. I was in a group with the parents and we had two moms with us that had never played before and were honestly terrible but they were having fun learning and we were encouraging. We let a lot of people play through and just had fun and played about 10 holes in 2 hours. The Scouts were ahead of us and did most of the course.

always wanted to try but i don't think it has caught on here in maui :(

If you don’t know, disc golf has seen a boom during COVID as people seek outdoor activities. Many retailers are sold out of 50-75% of their inventory. (Things are starting to catch up now.)

Anyway if you’re interested in disc golf and haven’t seen any pros, check out Jomez, CCDG, GK, and Gatekeeper on YouTube. It’s really good entertaining coverage of the tours.

If you don’t know, disc golf has seen a boom during COVID as people seek outdoor activities. Many retailers are sold out of 50-75% of their inventory. (Things are starting to catch up now.)

Anyway if you’re interested in disc golf and haven’t seen any pros, check out Jomez, CCDG, GK, and Gatekeeper on YouTube. It’s really good entertaining coverage of the tours.
been already watching youtube videos, also looking at different disc.

In 1988, the PDGA championship was held in Cincinnati and one leg was at Miami University, the course i grew up playing. I played in a warmup tourney and got paired with a top 10 pro. Hard to describe the sound his disc made off the drive. He gave me some tips I still use today.

I liked Fehringer Ranch. It seems to be one of the better courses in the area, but I don't really know. It was laid out well, not too many trees. There are some creeks and irrigation ditches to cross. One of the ditches that was usually dry actually had water in it and we had to fish a few discs out. I was in a group with the parents and we had two moms with us that had never played before and were honestly terrible but they were having fun learning and we were encouraging. We let a lot of people play through and just had fun and played about 10 holes in 2 hours. The Scouts were ahead of us and did most of the course.
Okay, I’m in Denver AND frequently disc. Let me know if anyone in Denver wants to get into it and I’ll bring extra discs and such. There are some really amazing courses In the 285 corridor to play

There's a local course here in Aldergrove, Raptors Knoll which is really nice. Full 18, 3 tee pads for the different levels of skill and alternate baskets which they switch up several times a year. Tournaments are held there somewhat frequently from what I hear. Only played it a couple of times, though, don't have as much time to DG as much as I used to. Took my discs out of my truck 3 weeks ago which usually signals the end of the season for me, Vancouver's not exactly the area where we can play year round.

Disc Golf is even a thing here in Germany. Luckely I have a course nearby and a handfull more baskets within a hour+ drive. Used to play it with my buddies. We all have different skill levels but regardless it makes a lot of fun.

Coming from tennis my backhand is pretty strong. Still have to work on my forehand though. :D

BD978A0A-6216-4BBD-9CD7-ED14426E0873.jpeg

Last edited:
Disc Golf is even a thing here in Germany. Luckely I have a course nearby and a handfull more baskets within a hour+ drive. Used to play it with my buddies. We all have different skill levels but regardless it makes a lot of fun.

Coming from tennis my backhand is pretty strong. Still have to work on my forehand though. :D

View attachment 563606
Simon Lizotte Land. Look him up, the kid is the one of the longest throwers ever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom