Disc Golf, anybody play? (2 Viewers)

It's big in Cincinnati and Dayton. Lots of great courses. They're like poker chips...but bigger!

20220729_235340.jpg
tempFileForShare_20220730-000310.jpg

I played for 3 years but stopped playing about 3 years ago. I absolutely love the sport but I suck so bad. I just can't figure out how to throw the damn disc properly. I must've lost hundreds of dollars in cool custom discs I bought. So now I have a bag and a bunch of discs collecting dust. I was a fan of Westside discs. I kinda gave it up because I'm getting older and I blow and I feel like I was hit by a train after every session.

I played for 3 years but stopped playing about 3 years ago. I absolutely love the sport but I suck so bad. I just can't figure out how to throw the damn disc properly. I must've lost hundreds of dollars in cool custom discs I bought. So now I have a bag and a bunch of discs collecting dust. I was a fan of Westside discs. I kinda gave it up because I'm getting older and I blow and I feel like I was hit by a train after every session.
I feel this so much. Can't stop, tho.

I actually have a course right out my backdoor, but don't get out nearly as often as I'd like.

Hey everyone, Tony looped me in to this thread. I've been playing for about 13 summers or so. The technical (and equipment) part of the game really drives me. For those that mentioned they're struggling - it's too bad you guys aren't local or I could possibly help you out in person (helped a friend double his distance).

In case you anyone wants it, here are the main tips I give:
1. Throw putters and mids until you can break 175-200' consistently. If you're not up to that distance yet, drivers can give you only a few added feet of distance. They're also much more finnicky (nose angle) and can actually rob you of distance + go 10 feet further to the left on backhand
2. For backhand, keep the disc plane in line with your forearm (or parallel). This usually means tilting the nose of the disc down or adjusting your grip or both. This prevents the disc from flying "nose up" and stalling/crashing left
3. Pull hard, in a straight line. Imagine the disc is travelling straight on a raised drinking bar. There are online videos and help on this. Think snap and whip, like using a heavy whip, large wet towel etc. It's about the "snap" at the end, versus strong-arming it with brute force from the start of the swing. Line this imaginary line up with your shoulders and feet and aim with your body. Usually the left foot is a few inches behind the right

Hope this helps!

Been working a lot on my form. Switched to more of a pinch grip. Getting a little more snap. Still getting used to it. Focusing on bringing the disc through the power pocket and keeping level all the way through.
Any recommendations for some easy to flip discs...or for a straight up roller?

Been working a lot on my form. Switched to more of a pinch grip. Getting a little more snap. Still getting used to it. Focusing on bringing the disc through the power pocket and keeping level all the way through.
Learned to roll with a stratus, now I use a Leopard3 or Mamba

Iv been playing for about 8 years. I live in asheville NC. I follow the sport very consistently. We actually have a young local noah fiveash whos on the pro tour and was just featured on gk-pro skins match

Austin and central Tx is a disc golf mecca w tons of courses. I've been playing several times weekly for just over 30yrs. Played lots of tourneys and 7 time Austin city league champion in a couple different non-pro divisions.
Make that 11x :)

Mamba for sure. It's Turn rating is a -5.

For the roller disc - it depends on your power and how clean your form is (not torquing it over with wobble). Generally, you could try a Baseline Genius, DX Leopard, DX Cheetah, DX Sidewinder, DX Archangel or Star Roadrunner if you're in the 250-300 feet of power range. Mamba is good if you're throwing under 300 feet, but if you're throwing in the 350-400+ range, it'll probably flip upside down for you if you don't give it the right release angle. Also, I think softer discs like R-Pro or Gstar might not roll as well :)

On another note - What are your favourite courses? We are lucky here to have an incredible local course! It's mostly manicured and ranked 2nd best in Canada on Udisc. There are a few holes in the 500+ feet range. Hole 8 is iconic as Mount Baker is in the background behind the basket, as well, the green and surrounding hazard is shaped like a bird of prey. Here's a YT video on the front 9:

https://d22ksth68ujgu2.cloudfront.n...ebac2ad1d7_m_4tEhdmmTDdf2p6rPXoadoh3zrqrC.jpg
https://d22ksth68ujgu2.cloudfront.n...ee16659c06_m_oJUrwIWfiQqWomRZBfDLw818wohR.jpg

I started playing back in 2018 when we could no longer get enough people to play Ultimate. Fell in love with disc golf and bought a bunch of discs and a cart. Haven't played much lately but hope to get some casual rounds in again soon.

Holy cow, I completely forgot I started this thread!!! Lol I’m going to read through all the replies after this post.

I’m still as hooked as ever. I play two or three times a week and play tournaments and leagues as much as I can. Love it. My wife and son do as well, we all just got back from Farragut State Park last weekend for the Farragut Open. Played Corbin and Caliber as well; if you are ever in the Sand Point/ Cour De lane area of Idaho those two and the four courses at Farragut are must plays.

Also, I feel the people who I saw say they have a lot of discs. Lol between my wife and I it’s absolutely out of control, I’m embarrassed to admit how many we have.

Just recorded my best round so far at the course in my city I like the best, +4 for 19 holes.

View attachment 419633

It’s very cool for me to see that score card in my original post. A few weeks ago I set a new PB at that course which is my home course here in Lake Stevens (-8). I can remember how incredibly jacked I was to be shooting those scores getting closer to par and I 100% remember the first day I went under par there (July 4th, 2021-easy date to remember). I’m not ashamed to say I remember having a tear or two when I was done I felt such a sense of accomplishment.
B2C639D1-4EA0-4ADD-B61E-1251CA6A70A2.png

I love the game of disc golf (golf too), it’s such a great mix of physical and mental challenge. no matter how good you shoot you ALWAYS can think of a few shots you left out there and it makes you really want to shave more strokes off.

If anybody is in the North Seattle or Puget Sound area and wants to play a round I would absolutely love to throw some plastic.

I try to play a round at a course when we go on vacation places. I've played in Lake Tahoe and New Orleans outside of my local courses. I need to renew my UDisc pro account so I can get my rounds/stats. Plan on playing a course in Asheville, NC in the spring and would not be opposed to tossing some plastic in Seattle sometime.

Unexpectedly qualified for the 2022 NADGT National Championships in October. Lucky for me it's held in Austin this year :)
Started using the "full stats" mode in the UDisc app. It's been very helpful tracking driving accuracy and C1 / C2 putts during rounds.
Been working on fine-tuning my bag and am pretty happy with my current lineup
Power Drivers:
IMG_20220923_225303335.jpg

Fairway Drivers:
IMG_20220923_225339845.jpg

Mid Range:
(That faded disc is a new BB6 by Lone Star and it has shaved ar least 3 strokes off my game. Deadly straight from 100-275ft).
IMG_20220923_225409802.jpg

Putters:
(The War Hammer is a floppy sticky rubber blend that sticks in the chains like no other)

IMG_20220923_225430604.jpg

IMG_20220923_224343299.jpg

UDisc Scorecard-1663890560924~2.jpg
UDisc Measured Throw-1663716127132.jpg

UDisc Measured Throw-1663992761070.jpg

Rare eagle on tough/tight par 5 hole. Took 2 long shots to get into C1.

Last edited:
Oh this will be fun, yeah let’s all definitely post what we’re currently throwing! I’ll take pictures later.

Love the lone star and Mint discs I have tried. Two cool companies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom