Difference between BRPro, ABC, and Sunfly ceramics? (3 Viewers)

GianThaMan

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but are the 39mm ceramics from brpro and abc all just sunfly chips, or are abc chips their own thing? Or, are they all different?

Abc and brpro are the same people - if I am not mistaken they do their thing in California. Sunfly is Chinese, and they have a few different kinds of chips they make. Abc and brpro both use Abc blanks, Sunfly has their own.

In "pure" ceramic, there are 2 lines at SunFly :
- PolyChrom
- PolyClay (ceramic chips with a physical mold and 'inlay zone')

I much prefer the PolyClay between both. They feel and stack fantastic.

Also, I love the textured Nevada Jacks from ABC.

A lot of good options there. Just get samples.

In "pure" ceramic, there are 2 lines at SunFly :
- PolyChrom
- PolyClay (ceramic chips with a physical mold and 'inlay zone')
All four Sun-Fly chip products are made using the same materials: polychrome, polyclay, polyinno, and polyspectra.

I know they used chipco, I'm not so sure about Sunfly.
Afaik, ABC used to offer Sun-Fly blanks in addition to their own proprietary blanks. They added Chipco blanks after buying out the Palm Gaming assets.

Afaik, ABC used to offer Sun-Fly blanks in addition to their own proprietary blanks. They added Chipco blanks after buying out the Palm Gaming assets.

First I've heard of it, TBH, but then again I didn't know about the secret menu until it was gone. Still, ABC blanks are pretty sturdy and durable.

This might be a dumb question, but are the 39mm ceramics from brpro and abc all just sunfly chips, or are abc chips their own thing? Or, are they all different?

The best way to see for yourself is to get samples of each of the products. Order some samples from ABC Pro and post a want add for some sunfly chips.

The two products feel completely different to me.

So, what I'm hearing is that ABC and BRPro use the same chip blanks, whereas Sun-fly uses different ones, but ABC also offers Sun-fly blanks and Chipco blanks. Is that right or am I still missing something?

Hi,

I have happened to be in a situation where I "got to" choose between Sun-Fly's 39mm Polychrom or BRPRO. I have handled samples from both vendors, and I might prefer BRPRO's blanks. But that is not the whole truth, Sun-Fly's samples had textured surface (Valentinos and Lucky Dragon) vs BRPRO's smooth Tiki Kings and DDLM.

Since I live in Sweden Sun-Fly is the best option for me, from an economic perspective. I also already received prototypes from "Seating chips" (Polyinno 43mm), Bounty 47mm Polychrom and Plaques 82×57. I really prefer to get the thicker plaques with rounded corners from Sun-Fly vs the 3mm "creditcard" BRPRO do offer. MOQ Sun-Fly is 300pcs, and that was ofcourse from the beginning not a problem...but I changed my mind when I received prototypes of my Polyclay chip-set.

Hmm, I really don't know what's the purpose of sharing all this info to you guys...I think I just want someone to tell me what to do, haha ;)

Someone here handled smooth Sun-Fly Polychrom chips?

Durability difference SF vs BR, smooth vs textured?

Is smooth surface more sensitive to get schratches? BRPRO more than SF?

Someone told me, and I have read it in many threads, that textured chips has better grip and smooth is more slippery. That makes me a bit confused since my own experience of it is straight opposite. The smooth BRPRO I handled was less slippery and had better grip compared to Sun-Fly's textured stock-chips.

That's one reason why I would like to know about peoples experiences with smooth Polychrom :) And yes, I really should get samples, but the timing is really bad simce Sun-Fly increase their prices with 20 % in a few days...

Last edited:
Hi,

I have happened to be in a situation where I "got to" choose between Sun-Fly's 39mm Polychrom or BRPRO. I have handled samples from both vendors, and I might prefer BRPRO's blanks. But that is not the whole truth, Sun-Fly's samples had textured surface (Valentinos and Lucky Dragon) vs BRPRO's smooth Tiki Kings and DDLM.

Since I live in Sweden Sun-Fly is the best option for me, from an economic perspective. I also already received prototypes from "Seating chips" (Polyinno 43mm), Bounty 47mm Polychrom and Plaques 82×57. I really prefer to get the thicker plaques with rounded corners from Sun-Fly vs the 3mm "creditcard" BRPRO do offer. MOQ Sun-Fly is 300pcs, and that was ofcourse from the beginning not a problem...but I changed my mind when I received prototypes of my Polyclay chip-set.

Hmm, I really don't know what's the purpose of sharing all this info to you guys...I think I just want someone to tell me what to do, haha ;)

Someone here handled smooth Sun-Fly Polychrom chips?

Someone told me, and I have read it in many threads, that textured chips has better grip and smooth is more slippery. That makes me a bit confused since my own experience of it is straight opposite. The smooth BRPRO I handled was less slippery and had better grip compared to Sun-Fly's textured stock-chips.

That's one reason why I would like to know about peoples experiences with smooth Polychrom :) And yes, I really should get samples, but the timing is really bad simce Sun-Fly increase their prices with 20 % in a few days...
The Valentino’s and Lucky Dragon chips you have were also made by BRPro.

Interesting, I see the Lucky Dragons are quite different depending on manufacturer. Nothing like adding to the confusion!

No, Sun-Fly also produces them. Lucky Dragons is actually Sun-Fly's first stock-design (from 2004) before they had any cooperation. I bought them from a pokershop in Denmark.

My semi custom Valentino came from brpro. Also note that brpro also has a textured chip (get samples of Nevada Jack's) they can use. For a straight up ceramic chip I recommend brpro.

Now Sun-Fly does have it's own strong suit too

They make ceramic hybrids called Polyclay. They can give you the inlay/label and molds to match clay chips but the cost effectiveness of ceramics. If you want these I can tell you that Sun-Fly is outstanding with these.

They make ceramic hybrids called Polyclay. They can give you the inlay/label and molds to match clay chips but the cost effectiveness of ceramics. If you want these I can tell you that Sun-Fly is outstanding with these.

In fact PolyClay are ceramic with mold and physically delimited central area. They are only available as smooth. But the mold adds an incredible grip.

PolyInno are the hybrids you are referring to.

PolyChrom are plain ceramic (textured or smooth).

In my opinion, smooth are more suited for more elaborate designs (ex: pictures, ...) where the texture would not allow a very sharp printing. So for more "simple" designs, I'd go any day with textured.

Is smooth surface more sensitive to get schratches? BRPRO more than SF?

For our chips, no real difference in durability between smooth and textured. The "scratches" on smooth chips actually subside as the chips wear - exactly opposite of what you might think.

Years ago we offered both smooth and textured blanks. Then we discontinued textured because nearly all of our customers (these were the Chiptalk days) preferred our smooth blanks. Because of the way they are designed, our smooth chips are far less slippery than textured chips. Smooth chips = more surface area touching between chips = more grip. Textured chips = less surface area touching between chips = more slippery. When we acquired Nevada Jacks, we brought back textured chips because that's all they had ever sold. Textured chips are only used in the Nevada Jacks / Desert Sands lines and customs through customizedpokerchips.com (which was the Nevada Jacks site).

The original owner of BR Pro had agreements for some designs that allowed Sunfly to produce the designs as well - Lucky Dragon and Valentino being two of those agreements. Since the results are quite different between our chips and Sunfly it's definitely not an ideal situation, but it is what it is.

-Gene

Because of the way they are designed, our smooth chips are far less slippery than textured chips. Smooth chips = more surface area touching between chips = more grip. Textured chips = less surface area touching between chips = more slippery.

Thank you, Gene.

Very interesting, this could be the best way, to short explain the difference of blanks from SF and ABC/BRPRO. SF blanks seems to react in the opposite way.

Agree, most smooth ceramics are less slippery than textured ceramics for the reasons mentioned above by Gene.

As far as @nostan's "what should I do?" question goes, if I were restricted to only plain 39mm ceramics and matching ceramic plaques, I'd order smooth ceramic chips from Gene at ABC/BRPro and the thicker rounded-corner plaques from Sun-Fly. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom