Diff ways to play Omaha ? & what are good dealers choice games to play (1 Viewer)

BigSlick4523

Full House
Reaction score
does anyone know what kind of Omaha this is called just found out about it

you get dealt 2 cards then you get the 3rd card after the flop then you get the 4th card after the turn

what is this called I cannot find it anywhere ?

also we started playing dealers choice what are some good games to play ???

we play Hold Em,Omaha,5 Card Omaha,Low in the Hole, 3s and 9's, Pineapple,Crazy Pineapple & Tahoe

you get dealt 2 cards then you get the 3rd card after the flop then you get the 4th card after the turn

I've played a lot of Omaha versions. Never this one. I don't remember seeing this in Marsha's cards.

Stampler is one of my favorite omaha variants. Basically PLO8 but if no qualifying low is possible on the river, then the player with the highest rank of the same suit as the river card wins the low half.

Add badugi and SOHE.

Shed the wild card and low in the hole games.

Then you will be perfect.

what is this called I cannot find it anywhere ?
Never heard of this either. Why haven't I heard of it? Sounds like a fun circus game.

Seems like a good name would be "Reverse Pineapple" or maybe "Upside-Down Pineapple" Omaha.

Abby's mixed-games list is a great distillation of games favored by many PCF members. They tend towards using standard mechanics but introduce high variance by combining multiple games simultaneously, which has been dubbed "circus games" by PCF.

More classic poker variations are often dubbed "kitchen table games", and often use various sorts of wildcards, as well as a wider range of non-standard mechanics. You can find a decent selection of such games on the Pagat card games compilation site: https://www.pagat.com/poker/variants/ . These are some of the more commonly-played variants over the years in home games; rather less so among PCF members.

Here's an extremely large list of variants; it's an attempt to be comprehensive, rather than selective, so unless you feel like trying things at random it's probably not a particularly useful compilation: http://www.xenomind.com/index.php?title=Poker_Variants

Game designer James Ernest published a book called Dealer's Choice in 2005, just as the No Limit Hold'em poker boom was taking off. It's a great compliation of 200 different "kitchen table" games, firmly rooted in the sensibilities of the pre-NLHE-boom era, but with a huge amount of creativity, whimsey, and cleverness brought to bear. Now out of print and sadly overpriced on the used market, but worth checking out if you're a poker fan looking to go beyond - far beyond - the routine of NLHE.

Last edited:
Stampler is one of my favorite omaha variants. Basically PLO8 but if no qualifying low is possible on the river, then the player with the highest rank of the same suit as the river card wins the low half.
:vomit:
Alternately, you could spin a bottle to decide who gets half the pot
Seriously, did somebody sit around saying, Aces are so dominant in O8, but lets figure out how can we make them even more valuable?

:vomit:
Alternately, you could spin a bottle to decide who gets half the pot
Seriously, did somebody sit around saying, Aces are so dominant in O8, but lets figure out how can we make them even more valuable?
Have you played it at least?

For crazy circus-y games, there is already a very rich resource here.

If you' re after just some variety, without excessive variance (in relation to NLHE), I 'd only recommend:
-Plain Pineapple (three hole cards dealt, one immediately discarded before even betting, and then NLHE)
-Crazy Tight Pineapple (three hole cards dealt, one discarded upon seeing the flop, the remaining two hole cards being both obligatory to use). The 3-card factor being expansive, while the only-two hole card use being restrictive.
-Three Card Omaha (no hole cards discarded, only two [no more, no less] of the hole cards useable.

At the very least, looking at the games you play already, it seems like you could very easily add:
  • Some lowball games
  • Some high/low split games
  • Some draw games (since you've already got stud, hold'em, and omaha)
In which case, some good additions that wouldn't take you too far into the weeds would be Two-Seven Triple Draw and/or Badugi (try both!), Stud 8, Omaha 8, and Archie.

If you want to add another kitchen table game, try "House of Commons" - the most common upcard (or the highest thereof) is wild.

... and every mixed game should include Scrotum.

Triple hold'em is fun and creates some interesting decisions. Usually played as no limit so no work adding up the pot.

Each player dealt six cards, set 3 holdem hands (no mixing after set), discard 1 hand on flop, discard another hand on turn.

It's interesting setting the hands (example - pair of aces, or two nut flush draw hands) as well as the discarding (example - on the turn, keep the nut flush draw or a 2 pair hand)

Game designer James Ernest published a book called Dealer's Choice in 2005, just as the No Limit Hold'em poker boom was taking off. It's a great compliation of 200 different "kitchen table" games, firmly rooted in the sensibilities of the pre-NLHE-boom era, but with a huge amount of creativity, whimsey, and cleverness brought to bear. Now out of print and sadly overpriced on the used market, but worth checking out if you're a poker fan looking to go beyond - far beyond - the routine of NLHE.
I just came across our copy of that earlier this week, as we get ready to paint the study. Don't know if I threw it on the "save" pile or the "donate" pile. Now I gotta dig through some boxes.

Triple hold'em is fun and creates some interesting decisions. Usually played as no limit so no work adding up the pot.

Each player dealt six cards, set 3 holdem hands (no mixing after set), discard 1 hand on flop, discard another hand on turn.

It's interesting setting the hands (example - pair of aces, or two nut flush draw hands) as well as the discarding (example - on the turn, keep the nut flush draw or a 2 pair hand)

Max 7 players, right?

I just came across our copy of that earlier this week, as we get ready to paint the study.
He and his co-author are working on a new edition. They say it'll have over 300 different poker variants. I expect most of the new ones will be concentrated in the Hold'em and Omaha families, as that's pretty much defined poker since the early 2000s, and the first edition was pretty heavily oriented towards stud and draw instead. I'd guess that the PCF circus games will all show up, or at least some of them.

He and his co-author are working on a new edition. They say it'll have over 300 different poker variants. I expect most of the new ones will be concentrated in the Hold'em and Omaha families, as that's pretty much defined poker since the early 2000s, and the first edition was pretty heavily oriented towards stud and draw instead. I'd guess that the PCF circus games will all show up, or at least some of them.
I know James played a lot of Holdem back in the day, but I haven't played a hand with him in... maybe 15 years? Gadzooks, I'm getting old...

Anyway, I don't know how widespread some of the Circus games are outside of PCF, or if the gaming community and the PCF community circles overlap very much.

James and Mike (reportedly) looked far and wide for games to include in their first one, so it wouldn't surprise me if they stumbled across SHESHE and Scrotum in the process of writing the second. :)

[trying not to seethe with envy over playing cards with James]

For crazy circus-y games, there is already a very rich resource here.

If you' re after just some variety, without excessive variance (in relation to NLHE), I 'd only recommend:
-Plain Pineapple (three hole cards dealt, one immediately discarded before even betting, and then NLHE)
-Crazy Tight Pineapple (three hole cards dealt, one discarded upon seeing the flop, the remaining two hole cards being both obligatory to use). The 3-card factor being expansive, while the only-two hole card use being restrictive.
-Three Card Omaha (no hole cards discarded, only two [no more, no less] of the hole cards useable.
Yeah thats Pineapple 3 cards discard one preflop then there is Crazy Pineapple 3 cards one discard after flop then Tahoe is 3 cards all the way then u can only use 2 1 or none

I guess this omaha I was talkin about is called Fusion sounds like a fun game 2 pre then 1 after flop then one after turn

We play the circus games on my home table, Omaha, Pineapple and Crazy Pineapple and Texas Hold'em.
We tried Fusion, but it was not appealing to most of the players due to the care needed with the dealing.

Played a game called “Drip”

4-max ... PL or FL (guess you could do NL)

10 cards to each player face down. Discard two preflop. Round of betting.

Flop. Discard two cards. Round of betting.

Turn. Discard two cards. Round of betting.

River. Discard two cards. Round of betting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom