Dice/suits chips from 2002-2003ish..possible to still get them? (1 Viewer)

BlueChips

Waiting List
Reaction score
When poker, especially T.H.E., became a lot more mainstream, dice (with white inlays) chips and chips with the four suit symbols but no inlays became very popular. I ordered samples and they were nice, smooth feeling, heavy, but definitely plastic and nowhere close to feeling like ceramic or clay. They were relatively expensive back then. Fast forward to now and you can get dice chips at any store for very cheap. They are a bit lighter, and much more matte feeling. Certainly not clay feeling at all, but maybe that’s what they’re going for? I hope that’s not what China Clays feel like. They just FEEL so much cheaper than the ones from 03. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

7AC49EB8-5AC4-4D48-99A2-827E8242B9F1.png

When poker, especially T.H.E., became a lot more mainstream, dice (with white inlays) chips and chips with the four suit symbols but no inlays became very popular. I ordered samples and they were nice, smooth feeling, heavy, but definitely plastic and nowhere close to feeling like ceramic or clay. They were relatively expensive back then. Fast forward to now and you can get dice chips at any store for very cheap. They are a bit lighter, and much more matte feeling. Certainly not clay feeling at all, but maybe that’s what they’re going for? I hope that’s not what China Clays feel like. They just FEEL so much cheaper than the ones from 03. Anyone know what I’m talking about?
These?

969C3779-8A71-4A50-A3F8-24BF0ED95B3C.png

The good old days, when dice chips were premium dice chips.

All kidding aside, didn’t someone here have CPC make a set of dice chips?

Edit: Here they are… @Highli99 ’s set.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/a-tribute-to-the-most-popular-set.62270/page-4#post-1469554
I have a sample set they are the GOAT.

but no, in reality they make it super clear to me that I never want to do anything with that mold. I've considered it because we play a lot of craps and they have dice on them, but the mold feels and sounds like crap.

Fun sample set to own though.

I bought some dice striped chips in the time period you indicated, '03 or so. Then I bought a 2nd set of different colors around '08. I didn't notice any drop-off in quality. My brother in law has a set he bought around '14, seems about the same. Certainly there are multiple manufacturers who make them so you will find some variety in quality.

Could it just be that you have become more familiar with better poker chip options since you first saw these, and so dice chips seem even cheaper to you now? That may be a more likely explanation for your impressions than a prevailing decrease in quality of dice-stripe chips. (Side note, I always thought the dice stripe ones were nicer than the suited ones, cause the suited ones came first and the dice-stripe design had more to it.)

I tried selling my dice chips locally on Facebook a while back and couldn't get anything from them, so I gave the to my nephew. Not entirely sure where they are now. Move to China clay, Milanos for tournaments and a mixed set of Pharaoh's and Majestics for cash.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom