Determining actual Paulson color names (1 Viewer)

TX_Golf_N_Poker

Straight Flush
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little help determining color names for some chips, mostly these various shades of green.

When i bought the $1 hot stamps in the middle, I thought they were sky blue and lime. I know the base on the Venetian is lime, so I bought a sample recently. Clearly, the edge spot on the blue chip is NOT lime. And it's also not Light Green, the color listed in ChipGuide for the Aria $3. Anybody know what it is? And also, is sky blue correct for the base? The Venetian edge spot is listed as Light Blue and they are a little bit different.

And how about the Town Taverns? ChipGuide just says Red & Gn. So just Red? And just Green? Or something more descriptive?

Thanks for helping.

20210822_132635.jpg

Thanks. Now that you say it, they were presented as Day Blue, not Sky Blue. Bad memory by me.
Looks like day blue/mint and tavern green is day green.
IIRC, they were listed as sky blue with lime spots in the ad, so you're not wrong - i have some of these and they are day blue with mint from what i can tell

You can mail one to me and I'll match it up if you want.
So I actually have been mulling something over.

What if someone here with good photography skills and equipment took photos of a complete Paulson (or CPC, or any other manufacturer) sample set. Could they get the colors accurate enough to then print them, maybe on high quality poster paper, actual size, and then sell the posters to those of us who don't have or don't want to spend the money on a real set of color chips?

looking at the pic, could also be sherbet green, you could mail to me also, ,look for someone close with a paulson color set

What if someone here with good photography skills and equipment took photos of a complete Paulson (or CPC, or any other manufacturer) sample set. Could they get the colors accurate enough to then print them, maybe on high quality poster paper, actual size, and then sell the posters to those of us who don't have or don't want to spend the money on a real set of color chips?

:)

@Ethan has a partial color sample set of mine that you're welcome to borrow? Not sure what else you'd need it for and/or how soon you'd need it?

I'm not the best at snapping pics, and i dont have the other green samples but here's a start - not sure if Pastel green could be an option since it's a newer color; but it could also be the amount of wear on the chip that's throwing the color off a bit from the Mint sample
3ZLRE4r.jpg

I was going to tag you!!! And your excellent photography skills!

There is a project in the works where I will be photographing the THC color sample chips and color balancing them. I could try to make some prints and see how they come out. The problem is that a poster or an inexpensive brochure type print protect will be press printed with CMYK. We will not have a great gamut and we won’t be able to produce the color accuracy needed for great color checking. I could do something like a proof book which would use photographic prints with a much greater gamut, but it would be more expensive (fat from prohibitive though) and I am still unsure how useful it would be. It may be worth a shot once I do the shoot.

FWIW - someone once took a photo of the color sample set alongside grey cards (I don’t know if they actually balanced this image however, I never checked). But the luminance is a bit too hot for great color reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6gqvda02j88k61/paulson-colors-FULLSIZE-300ppi-1.jpg?dl=0

it would be more expensive (fat from prohibitive though) and I am still unsure how useful it would be
"Far from prohibitive" is a whole lot better than the current market price of a color sample set, which I think could be fairly characterized as "rather close to prohibitive". I'm sure there's at least a few people who would love to have an accurate color representation but are reluctant to pay such a high price.

I'd probably buy one just for the heck of it.

Actually, it would probably be a must-have for anyone in the starbursts and solids playground. The sad fact is that I as a buyer would most benefit from all the various sellers having one so that they could accurately characterize the chips that I'm trying to buy and color-match.

"Far from prohibitive" is a whole lot better than the current market price of a color sample set, which I think could be fairly characterized as "rather close to prohibitive". I'm sure there's at least a few people who would love to have an accurate color representation but are reluctant to pay such a high price.

I'd probably buy one just for the heck of it.

Actually, it would probably be a must-have for anyone in the starbursts and solids playground. The sad fact is that I as a buyer would most benefit from all the various sellers having one so that they could accurately characterize the chips that I'm trying to buy and color-match.

I mean that I don’t know how useful it would be because it won’t be completely reliable. I don’t think you are ever going to get close to being able to rely on any printed samples. It would have some value, but I don’t know if people would want to spend $X on something they can’t rely on.

Once I photograph them I will play around with some prints and see how accurate they can get and take it from there.

I collect mfgr samples and have a lot of full color sample sets. Paulson, BG, CPC edge spots, and more.

I am in the process of going thru my chip collection and taking pr0n pics. Willing to do some science and document some stuff for the forum, if everyone can come to some consensus of what you're all looking for.

I have a Nikon D750 with a 50mm lens and tripod/c-stands. No macro lens, no gray card. But I have Kenko lens extenders for extreme macros.

EDIT: I just remembered the chip resource. Y'all not satisfied with the guide? It's pretty good already. :unsure:

Even an actual color sample set in hand isn’t spot on. Often times older colors have some variation within them

That is true, but Paulson is "usually" pretty good with colors. Not too much variation. You will be able to tell one shade from another on their lineup when you put the suspect color next to the samples.

EDIT: I just remembered the chip resource. Y'all not satisfied with the guide? It's pretty good already. :unsure:
The guide is nice. But it's not printed and visually verified for color accuracy. It's displayed on a monitor, and who knows how accurate your monitor is. I know I don't. I have chips that I know are certain colors, and while I can see that the color displayed on my monitor is "probably" the same color, it's not the same as setting it next to a printed representation of that color. IF we could produce something for print that is reasonably accurate, it would be a HUGE step above looking at a guide on a computer monitor.

while I can see that the color displayed on my monitor is "probably" the same color, it's not the same as setting it next to a printed representation of that color. IF we could produce something for print that is reasonably accurate, it would be a HUGE step above looking at a guide on a computer monitor.

Gotcha. I can see how that can be useful.

Anybody run a printing business here that can shed some light how this can be done?

The guide is nice. But it's not printed and visually verified for color accuracy. It's displayed on a monitor, and who knows how accurate your monitor is. I know I don't. I have chips that I know are certain colors, and while I can see that the color displayed on my monitor is "probably" the same color, it's not the same as setting it next to a printed representation of that color. IF we could produce something for print that is reasonably accurate, it would be a HUGE step above looking at a guide on a computer monitor.

Sigh, I guess for now we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way...;)
full

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom