Destin, FL - spring break (1 Viewer)

IaHawk

Straight
Tourney Director
Reaction score
We are looking to book an oceanfront condo in the Destin, FL / Emerald Coast area during mid March for spring break. If anyone has feedback on areas to stay, places to eat or things to do, I'd love to hear them. Kids are 11 and 13...we will spend most days on the beach and try and find some activities to do as well. My wife wants to see dolphins and I'd like to take the family on a fishing excursion. Appreciate the input!

We are looking to book an oceanfront condo in the Destin, FL / Emerald Coast area during mid March for spring break. If anyone has feedback on areas to stay, places to eat or things to do, I'd love to hear them. Kids are 11 and 13...we will spend most days on the beach and try and find some activities to do as well. My wife wants to see dolphins and I'd like to take the family on a fishing excursion. Appreciate the input!
My girlfriend and I spent a relaxing week at the Hilton Sandestin Beach for spring break a few years back.
Enjoyed the week there very much. As far as activities, we mostly just enjoyed the beach and some of the local restaurants.
Definitely worth the visit. The beach in Destin has the nicest powdery sand I’ve ever seen.
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/deshihf-hilton-sandestin-beach-golf-resort-and-spa/

Destin and that whole area will be crazy packed during spring break. Just be prepared for that going in. Everything will take longer than expected and the stores will look like people are getting ready for a hurricane, most places rent Saturday to Saturday, so that is usually the worst day to go to the store because a whole new flock of folks are arriving. When you do go try to go either late at night or early in the morning. If you haven’t already booked a place, your options could very well be fairly limited by now. You can check out the various other towns nearby there like Santa Rosa Beach, Grayton Beach, etc.. All the beaches in that area are world class. Restaurants are likely to be packed, I would start making reservations for EVERYTHING you want to do sooner rather than later and certainly do not wait until you arrive. There are a ton of fishing charter companies to choose from, just depends on whether you want inland or offshore, how long of a trip etc. Again I would make reservations now for same. I can’t emphasize enough how much of a madhouse it is during that time of the year in that part of Florida. If you’re flying into Valparaiso and using a rental, I would definitely reserve that rental asap and also be prepared for a traffic jam. Will take you hours to get across to the coast due to the limited routes. For kids check out Fudpuckers and the live gator show, Lulu’s is also a good family restaurant with great atmosphere. Good luck!

Last edited:
Also save yourself a lot of work and sweat and just hire a company to come and put out chairs/umbrellas for you wherever you decide you are going to be beaching. There are a ton of them that offer this service. Also spread your kids toys in front to claim space or you may end up with some closer beach “neighbors” than you may want :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the feedback @Tonysquander. Part of the reason I came here asking for recommendations was there were so many beach front condos available on VRBO in our price range, I was trying to find a way to narrow it down. I've noticed some condos have "beach service" included, which is a couple of chairs and an umbrella. I started compiling a list of places to eat and I'll start checking each to see how far in advance you can make reservations.

Thanks for the feedback @Tonysquander. Part of the reason I came here asking for recommendations was there were so many beach front condos available on VRBO in our price range, I was trying to find a way to narrow it down. I've noticed some condos have "beach service" included, which is a couple of chairs and an umbrella. I started compiling a list of places to eat and I'll start checking each to see how far in advance you can make reservations.
I would look at places that are not right next to a huge hotel. We love Grayton because it is a cool beach town and butts up against a state park so the beach doesn’t get super packed. Destin/Ft. Walton is ground zero during spring break. The beaches really are some of the best in the world. You cannot really go wrong a little south in the 30A area. It just gets really busy but a little preparation goes a long way. Also don’t just think “we’ll order pizza delivery”…lol. I have had that take 3-4 hours to arrive. Good luck!

We go there every year. Before kids, we used to stay at 1br condo at sandestin, but it does get crowded, and I think Destin even more crowded. Now with kids, we stay more towards 30A Santa Rosa Beach, which has less condos, more houses, and less people. We get a house with a pool so the kids can enjoy it without being so crowded.

Towards Destin:
Dewey Destins for good seafood by the docks, able to see charter boats come in with their catches.
McGuires Irish Pub for big portions and steaks. Bring a dollar to staple. Long wait. Get the 10¢ senate bean soup. Destin Harbor Walks is across the street, I think they have some fun stuff for kids.
The crab trap - touristy with long wait, but is right on the beach so wait with a drink on the beach.
Donut Hole get a key lime pie to go and enjoy it for the week.
Silver sands premium outlets: if you need a shopping break on a rainy day.
Banana Barts - fun eclectic little shop

More towards 30A:
Hurricane Oyster and Bar - local restaurant with good vibe.
Schunk Gulley oyster bar - haven’t eaten there, but heard it’s really good local spot.
Vue on 30A - fancier restaurant with nice views.
Bike paths everywhere.

Head to seaside, one of the first planned communities ever designed. It’s where they filmed the Truman show. The beach access pavilions are each designed by different architect and each one very unique.

You can usually see dolphins from the beach as well. Have fun! We’ll be there in August.

I spend a few months out of the year in that area. Start with Miramar beach and then work your way towards santa rosa and seaside. Seaside for the food trucks at night. Dolphins swimming in panama...you'll only do it once. Fishing excursions are super easy to book and worth it for the kids. Rent a boat and go to shell island and have your cap look for dolphins on the way. Sandestin outdoor mall (baytown) if the weather is bad for the ropes course/arcade and ice cream. Book through local rental companies to avoid some extra junk fees from vrbo/airbnb. Enjoy. You'll return.

Appreciate all of the feedback so far! This is exactly why I wanted to ask around, it sounds like the condo areas with the oceanfront views may be more crowded then the areas by 30A which are more houses and a short walk to the beach. I know my wife really wanted the view from the room but honestly we will be spending most of the day at the beach, so I'd prefer less crowded beaches vs a view...but ultimately its not my decision. :) I'll talk to the boss and get her take.

Destin and that whole area will be crazy packed during spring break. Just be prepared for that going in. Everything will take longer than expected and the stores will look like people are getting ready for a hurricane, most places rent Saturday to Saturday, so that is usually the worst day to go to the store because a whole new flock of folks are arriving. When you do go try to go either late at night or early in the morning. If you haven’t already booked a place, your options could very well be fairly limited by now. You can check out the various other towns nearby there like Santa Rosa Beach, Grayton Beach, etc.. All the beaches in that area are world class. Restaurants are likely to be packed, I would start making reservations for EVERYTHING you want to do sooner rather than later and certainly do not wait until you arrive. There are a ton of fishing charter companies to choose from, just depends on whether you want inland or offshore, how long of a trip etc. Again I would make reservations now for same. I can’t emphasize enough how much of a madhouse it is during that time of the year in that part of Florida. If you’re flying into Valparaiso and using a rental, I would definitely reserve that rental asap and also be prepared for a traffic jam. Will take you hours to get across to the coast due to the limited routes. For kids check out Fudpuckers and the live gator show, Lulu’s is also a good family restaurant with great atmosphere. Good luck!
We love the Santa Rosa Beach/Grayton Beach Area. Went there last year for Spring Break and going again this year in early April. Not nearly as crowded as the Destin/Ft Walton area.

I just booked a townhouse in Seacrest, right on the other side of 30A! Includes private beach access and beach service. There were a couple of nice beachfront properties we were considering but kept going back and forth if we should spend the extra money and they ended up getting booked while we waited. I'm sure we will be back and next time we will just make sure we plan more in advance so we have more options.

My next step is to start researching some activities for the family and get our restaurants lined up that we want to eat at.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom