Designing a topper - Does this have potential? (1 Viewer)

Gunnar

Flush
Reaction score
So I found a blank AI file and started having fun, does this have potential or is this just awful?
Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 15.53.18.png
Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 15.52.19.png
Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 15.52.39.png

Definitely not awful, I like it a lot! I personally prefer the betting area to be solid, but the “translucent” red background is kinda cool to see the suited design “underneath”

Nice job @Gunnar !
that’s a cool idea. You should maybe reduce the color contrast with the pips on the blue and red part to make it less flashy and more readable imho

Testing, I like red as I have been actively avoiding red chips in my new sets. But I also really like the idea of water with bloodshed in the middle
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 16.44.33.png
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 16.41.16.png

I really like the betting line. Blue background over red for me.

The Berserk Island theme would be a fantastic custom chip set!
+Bounties (with lithium vouchers too)!
Felt: mini suited speed cloth; no print (just choose a color that rocks your room (blue?)).

The Berserk Island theme would be a fantastic custom chip set!
+Bounties (with lithium vouchers too)!
Felt: mini suited speed cloth; no print (just choose a color that rocks your room (blue?)).
The first set is ordered and is CPC with a Broken Shields theme ☺️

So it all in the works

With the added logo/graphics/text inside the betting line, I would eliminate the suits and just keep the center a solid red. Outside the betting line, the suits pattern works great. My two cents...

Personally i would reduce the contrast between the blue of the suits and the background of the outer ring (you could go a few different ways to achieve that), it just grabs the eye too much for my taste. Love the idea of red blood in the middle of a sea of blue though.

I love this solid center. There’s a voice in the back of my head freaking out that the ring around the betting area isn’t made of completely equidistant circles, and that “poker tournament” is only written on one side…. BUT design wise I love it
I will fix the poker tournament logo, but what do you mean about the circles?

I'd try to find some colors that actually connect to each other.
You got dark blue on light blue connected by brown to red. On the red you have a gradient from lilac to green with a gradient on the font from blue to black. Then you have two identical yellow ships close to each other bookmarking a white text in the middle.

I'd try to find some colors that actually connect to each other.
You got dark blue on light blue connected by brown to red. On the red you have a gradient from lilac to green with a gradient on the font from blue to black. Then you have two identical yellow ships close to each other bookmarking a white text in the middle.

Yeah I agree, I was trying to combine all three logos I own for my poker events into a single topper, I think I will go for two toppers and use fewer colors in each.

I know about this, when Im happy with the design I need to create the betting line properly and make sure there is the same overlap on every shield it takes a lot of patience as they are placed manually.
FYI - you should be able to create a pattern brush to place the shields for your bet line. Better than manually placing them, you should be able to find tutorials if you want to learn. Have you thought about putting the shield instead of suits in the area outside the bet line?

Testing in make the shields background match the colors of the topper making them more integrated in the design
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 11.10.39.png

Yeah I agree, I was trying to combine all three logos I own for my poker events into a single topper, I think I will go for two toppers and use fewer colors in each.
you can just choose 2 or 3 or maybe even four complementing base colors of which you use different versions on the existing elements.

Repeating colors in different elements pulls a design together.

One example of a really well done, understated yet fun design is the hoser hut topper:
a5032748-aee3-4c02-9986-e4b86216fab1-jpeg.1037377

Picture credit @cpac54

Only 2 base colors that work well with each other yet a lot of fun elements and you even have the beige armrest to pull it all together.

FYI - you should be able to create a pattern brush to place the shields for your bet line. Better than manually placing them, you should be able to find tutorials if you want to learn. Have you thought about putting the shield instead of suits in the area outside the bet line?
I think that is the next step, Im really deep diving more into illustrator than planned but I like it, it is a very powerful but complex tool.

About the shields in the suits that is something I have thought of but I have still not found a way to do it :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom