Design Thoughts: Post-Apocolyptic, Fallout-ish Chipset (1 Viewer)

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
I've had the 'make a new chipset' itch, having finished out my Windy City set with those $20s (pics to follow after this weekend's Atlanta meetup). I want to start a new set where I'd have a creative license for the chips colors. The Windy City set limited me to Chicago-themed things, and I really want to do something with a larger scope. So, I started thinking of really good RPG/adventure games I've played in the past, and Fallout 3 came to mind.

Initially, I thought of designing a set based around the colors and feel of that game. However, that brought me to the same predicament with the Windy City set. So, I began building a set under the pretense of Fallout 3-ish conditions: post-nuclear apocalypse, with civilizations trying to survive, forever tantalized by the tragedies of generations before. I came up with the following chip mockups. I like the direction of the set, but I'd like to get the input of the community on the spots and colors before I begin working on an inlay.

The $1 and $5 are pretty obviously set, but I don't really know how else to sculpt the other chips. I'd like maybe a $2, a $20 for sure, probably a $100 as well. Maybe even a $10 because bigger limit games are a possibility for me.

Spot back story and thoughts:

Black 334 DG Yellow: Civilization's repeated warnings to the dangers of war and nuclear destruction.

$5 Mandarin Red 1v12 DG Yellow/White: The blinding annihilation of generations past. Encompassed most notably by the small sliver of bright white, surrounded by the DG Yellow and Mandarin red flame.

$1 Bright White 218 DG Green: The pureness of life, fractured by slivers of uranium and radioactive materials.

Charcoal Grey 3T316 Grey/Red/Grey: The toppling of mankind's apex. Grey rubble and smoke surround the Red of unnecessary blood shed. Charcoal Grey ash is all that remains at the base.

Light Chocolate 312 Butterscotch/DG Orange/Chocolate: The desolate, burnt landscape of the new world remains, coupled with a hazy DG Orange sun.

This chip just came to mind.

Dark Blue 1d14 Bright White/Purple: Forever scarred, mankind looks to the midnight blue skies for guidance, where bright stars and comforting nebula persist through time.

Lol. Don't take me seriously. Truthfully. If this is your concept I would let the graphic do the talking. Using a 39mm disc of clay and some edgespots to convey the above messages will probably be over the heads of most. Unless you play with a bunch of Andy Warhol types. Me personally, I wouldn't even contemplate edgespots until I had my inlays figured. Then I would use the edgespots to accent the art.
As far as art goes I would also consider using a font that looks worn or scraped. There are loads of free fonts available.

Steve.

Lol. Don't take me seriously. Truthfully. If this is your concept I would let the graphic do the talking. Using a 39mm disc of clay and some edgespots to convey the above messages will probably be over the heads of most. Unless you play with a bunch of Andy Warhol types. Me personally, I wouldn't even contemplate edgespots until I had my inlays figured. Then I would use the edgespots to accent the art.
As far as art goes I would also consider using a font that looks worn or scraped. There are loads of free fonts available.

Steve.

Well the write-ups are rather retarded, as I sat on this more they're not very easy to emulate in a chip, as you mention. However, the setting still has me going... I like the thought of developing the art first. With the Windy City set, the art was developed after, so the thought hadn't occurred to me.

I think that, if I could concoct a cool city, like New Vegas in the Fallout games, I could use that setting/city as a base for the set, and then model the spots around the art.

I'd stick with spots that make the graphic of the chip instantly recognizable like the black/yellow or color combinations that evoke a atmosphere / environment like the brown chip. I would take a step away from your concept for a moment and think about chip basics ie: spot progression, contrast between denoms and what type of inlay you're using and then work your way back towards the concept (or not, you might find something else along the way!)

I do like the black and brown chip (although I'd change the dark Brown spot to something more orange or yellow) quite a bit btw. Nice start!

I personally love Fallout 3 and New Vegas but I'm having a hard time figuring out how your base/spot choices tie in with the theme of both games.

Well, at least the $1 is obvious to me as a biohazard symbol

Edit-Nevermind! Not sure how I missed your explanations the first time around :confused:

I was thinking about this set at lunch. I think the strongest chip is the $1 and I wonder if you use this idea of toxicity as a color theme...all of the colors combinations are a bit...off...toxic. I just mocked up some quick ideas. I think they should be even more contrasty and neon but this is what I could do in a pinch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428437179.573178.jpg

I was thinking about this set at lunch. I think the strongest chip is the $1 and I wonder if you use this idea of toxicity as a color theme...all of the colors combinations are a bit...off...toxic. I just mocked up some quick ideas. I think they should be even more contrasty and neon but this is what I could do in a pinch.

View attachment 9562
I like the idea of high contrast, toxicity type feel.

I have absolutely no thoughts on this design (I'm pretty lost TBH) but just wanted to say that I think it's a pretty cool idea, and am watching with interest to see where it goes. :)

I have absolutely no thoughts on this design (I'm pretty lost TBH) but just wanted to say that I think it's a pretty cool idea, and am watching with interest to see where it goes. :)

Yeah, I'm fairly lost as well, but I wanted to spew out my thoughts from the very initial ideas and see where we can get things formed. I've started a back and forth with J5, so that should yield something promising in the next couple weeks.

The collectors edition also came with a deck of cards and an oversized metal "platinum chip".

As I talk this out more, I think a future set, with elements like those from Deus Ex and Shadowrun, would be awesome. You've got some future technology, some sci-fi elements, some subterfuge, and corporations that control everything. I sent that to J5, so we'll see if he can pull off his magic. I'm hoping I can get some more inspiration and direction with the initial mockups, and then we'll proceed from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom