Deepstacked against maniacs! Best strategy?? (1 Viewer)

Bill_Man618

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
So I have recently been blessed with the opportunity to play on a VERY deepstacked 10¢/20¢ online game and while I have done well I’m looking for some advice on how to do better.

Little background on the players and game. I have played with most, but not all of these players live at a home game and know the styles pretty well (many are certified maniacs/rec players). Game is as I said a deep 10¢/20¢ game that often times will have at least 2 players 750-1000bbs deep. We often will see 3-400bb pots at showdown with players holding single pairs. Like I said lots of weaker players willing to get lots of money in.

So with that said my basic strategy that I’ve used is to play tighter ranges mainly suited connectors, pairs (to set mine), and eliminate all meh hands from the range. In addition to that I try to play lots of pots with the weaker players at the table in an effort to not clash with the stronger players since there really isn’t a reason to play pots with them unless I’m very strong. Most of the time I play a 3! and then fold if you miss and get it in if you hit against the weaker players. Since I’ve seen them get north of 500bbs in with top pair bad kicker. Also I cover the table at all times to get max value from the recs.

So while this strategy of ABC poker against weak players is working well for me I can’t help, but feel like I could implement things into my game to see a higher win rate. I typically play a 5¢/10¢ game with 200bb starting stacks so going from that to sitting over 1000bbs deep is a lot different. Especially, considering that a lot of these players just make huge pots with marginal holdings. Let me know what you guys think on this. I’ll prolly post a few HH later today or tommrow.

Not a fan of online play but it sounds as though you are playing about the best you could expect for the game you are describing.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, a player will never consistently beat a table full of maniacs. Two maniacs willing to dig deep in their pockets per table every time you play is a great recipe for long term success.
The right game to play well in is most important for long term success.

Call more, play more hands. There is a great book by Ed Miller - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Player-Moving-Dominate-Opponents/dp/1477473084

Check it out.

In this specific example, their strategy of raising too many hands preflop and firing too many barrels postflop is very exploitable. But to exploit it, you have to embrace uncertainty and systematically deny your opponent information about your hand.

The basic outline to exploiting this trait is to call more preflop, 3-bet more preflop, and then play your hands postflop in a way that
will induce errors from the LAG.

Let’s talk about the postflop adjustment first. Again, let’s understand the LAG’s strategy after the flop. He’s going to start out
assuming that most of his opponents are playing a roughly fit-or-fold strategy against him. Thus, he’s going to have a high barreling
frequency, particularly on flops that don’t connect well with a standard preflop calling range, and on turns and rivers that don’t
connect well with the flop.

He’s going to bet-fold a lot, since he’s frequently going to have air, and since raises will typically indicate strength.
Finally, he’s going to try to anticipate how most opponents will react to him. He’s going to assume that opponents will sometimes
make weak attempts to play back at him like donk betting or making small check-raises on dry flops. He’s also going to assume that
opponents will begin to call him down lighter, so he’ll increase his bet sizes with strong value hands and also value bet a little thinner in some situations.

So the LAGs are betting when checked to with a wide range of hands. They’re continuing to bet on certain turn and river cards.
They’re giving up against aggression in many circumstances, but they’re playing back against some obvious bluffs.

Here’s how you beat this. You start checking and calling with much of your value range. You hold on tight with some hands you
might release against a less aggressive opponent. You also check and call with some hands you would normally bet and raise against
less aggressive opponents.

I’m gonna basically do what I’ve been doing and incorporate the ideas shared by @JP1984 regarding check calling value. I’ll throw one HH here just to give perspective on the maniacs that play.

Hero UTG with K9hh
V1 SB known maniac plays lots of hands and chases draws. Told us one night he likes to play trash to crack big hands.
V2 BB goodish player, but he plays poorly deepstacked and tilted

Action goes as follows:
Hero raise to $1
Folds around to SB call
BB call

Flop comes AxJh4h ($3)
SB bet $1
BB call
Hero call

Turn 4x ($6)
SB bet $2
BB call
Hero call

River Ah ($12)
SB bet $11
BB raise $27
Hero fold
SB call

SB shows down J7hh and wins

So I have recently been blessed with the opportunity to play on a VERY deepstacked 10¢/20¢ online game and while I have done well I’m looking for some advice on how to do better.

Little background on the players and game. I have played with most, but not all of these players live at a home game and know the styles pretty well (many are certified maniacs/rec players). Game is as I said a deep 10¢/20¢ game that often times will have at least 2 players 750-1000bbs deep. We often will see 3-400bb pots at showdown with players holding single pairs. Like I said lots of weaker players willing to get lots of money in.

So with that said my basic strategy that I’ve used is to play tighter ranges mainly suited connectors, pairs (to set mine), and eliminate all meh hands from the range. In addition to that I try to play lots of pots with the weaker players at the table in an effort to not clash with the stronger players since there really isn’t a reason to play pots with them unless I’m very strong. Most of the time I play a 3! and then fold if you miss and get it in if you hit against the weaker players. Since I’ve seen them get north of 500bbs in with top pair bad kicker. Also I cover the table at all times to get max value from the recs.

So while this strategy of ABC poker against weak players is working well for me I can’t help, but feel like I could implement things into my game to see a higher win rate. I typically play a 5¢/10¢ game with 200bb starting stacks so going from that to sitting over 1000bbs deep is a lot different. Especially, considering that a lot of these players just make huge pots with marginal holdings. Let me know what you guys think on this. I’ll prolly post a few HH later today or tommrow.
I don't know the answer, but maybe a maniac's perspective will help....

.... @CraigT78

Easy - stop being a nit and try to be more like a drooler.
So if I read this correctly, what you're saying is, don't be this guy...

IMG_20211016_180729.jpg

...but be this guy instead because he kicks a$$!!

IMG_20211016_181543.jpg

So with that said my basic strategy that I’ve used is to play tighter ranges

It's like what they say about running away from bears: You don't have to play tight. You just have to play tighter than the other guys.

If they're playing lots of hands, you can play lots of hands too. Your win rate will go up, since a lot of the hands you're folding now are +EV against their ranges. Just get used to high variance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom