Deciding to take a shot as a PLO pro in TAMPA but lots of good players. (1 Viewer)

MediocrePLOdude

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am a 43 year old moderately successful businessman who has been cutting his teeth at some .05/.10 online PLO and gradually moved up to 1/2 on ignition. I read some books on PLO and even watched an ESPN broadcast with Sammy Farha. Recently I decided to withdraw 50k from my IRA and take my shot at live PLO in Tampa. I have been playing 2/2 and 5/5/10 and I want to document my journey here.

So far I am trying to figure out the pros and the fish. I have been reading Anthony's blog and am a little inspired to give this a shot. I have played for two weeks and so far I am up $1,965. I want to include some of my better and interesting hands and get feedback from the better players.

Today I was waiting for a 2/2 seat as I feel intimidated at 5/5/10. The game plays bigger. But there was a list so I sat 5/5 for a bit. My first hand of the day I got AKK5cccs. I didn't like having 3 clubs but I have a good blocker and also I could maybe make a wheel. So I am left of the rock and I limp for $10. A younger 30ish guy with a beard and baseball hat (looks like a very solid shark and I see him with alot of chips often) raises it to $40. Then another younger guy with a beard who looks nerdy and has been getting a massage the entire time puts in a 3 bet to $135. I'm already feeling like my hand sucks. It gets back to me and I elect to fold and wait for a better spot. I had 1k. The first raises reraises and the massage player folds and shows 3456 with 4 hearts. I was shocked. The first raises showed just an 7 9 and J and smiled. I feel lost already.

Yeah, I'll follow along. A couple requests:
-use the smiley face key above to select your cards, so they show up like this: :ac::kc::ks::5c:
-try to line up your hands in order of action to make it easier to read instead of one long paragraph.

Other than that, tell us a little about yourself, and post up some stack pictures! Good luck to you...

if you can isolate (with a 4 bet), which I think you would have, then c bet you'd likely take the pot less the 3456 hits. 79J would need to hit the key card.

with GTO and the hype everybody wants to be JNandez 3 betting like its a truffle buffet. Its not like NLH the gap in ranges aren't as large, you have to WANT to gamble.

Haven't you seen the meme 'PLO, its like meth, but for poker players', you have to actually know how to play after the flop.

I elect to fold and wait for a better spot.
Not a bad play, you didn't mention position, other than left of the straddle.

What hand are you waiting for? :ah::ac::jc::th:??

What was your buy in, where you short stacked ?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll follow along. A couple requests:
-use the smiley face key above to select your cards, so they show up like this: :ac::kc::ks::5c:
-try to line up your hands in order of action to make it easier to read instead of one long paragraph.

Other than that, tell us a little about yourself, and post up some stack pictures! Good luck to you...
Sure. I'm not great at technology so I don't understand the smiley face key. Do I use emojis as the cards?

Well I owned a successful business for 15 years. The money I took out to play I can afford to lose. I live in Seffner. Married. 1 kid. And I played alot online for fun. I like the strategy and after NL Holdem and then PLO I can't go back to PLO. I describe my style as passive but aggressive when I Have a big draw and feel my opponent is weak. I'm def not very good but I want to get better.

if you can isolate (with a 4 bet), which I think you would have, then c bet you'd likely take the pot less the 3456 hits. 79J would need to hit the key card.

with GTO and the hype everybody wants to be JNandez 3 betting like its a truffle buffet. Its not like NLH the gap in ranges aren't as large, you have to WANT to gamble.

Haven't you seen the meme 'PLO, its like meth, but for poker players', you have to actually know how to play after the flop.

Not a bad play, you didn't mention position, other than left of the straddle.

What hand are you waiting for? :ah::ac::jc::th:??

What was your buy in, where you short stacked ?
Positions were me UTG1 as rock was UTG. And those two players were to my direct left. I had 1k so 100bb. I just thought facing a raise and reraises from those early positions I was going to see aces. I had invested 10 and also the player to my direct left could still reraise and did. I think I fold or isolate jam

Hindsight is 20/20, your out of position, being able to lay down a hand is a good thing. What do you think the action would have been if you raised utg1?

Not seeing the players I would guess you might have seen a two bet and heads up to the flop

Hindsight is 20/20, your out of position, being able to lay down a hand is a good thing. What do you think the action would have been if you raised utg1?

Not seeing the players I would guess you might have seen a two bet and heads up to the flop

I think I know the guy getting the massage. Skinny with glasses, buys in for the max?

Playing the AKK5 with 3 clubs is dependant on a number of factors, position, stack sizes, who is in the hand, who is left to act, etc

Sure. I'm not great at technology so I don't understand the smiley face key. Do I use emojis as the cards?

Well I owned a successful business for 15 years. The money I took out to play I can afford to lose. I live in Seffner. Married. 1 kid. And I played alot online for fun. I like the strategy and after NL Holdem and then PLO I can't go back to PLO. I describe my style as passive but aggressive when I Have a big draw and feel my opponent is weak. I'm def not very good but I want to get better.
On my phone it looks like this to get to the card emoji. Just need to scroll down once you see the emoji. Using the cards makes it really easy and enjoyable to follow along.
98AF25D7-FBAD-4581-9178-047FA188E396.jpeg

So on the turn we pickup the gutshot straight and nut flush draws, and we have a pot sized bet and call before us.

At this moment I realize that my car now has 2 tires.

If they are diametrically opposed - say front left and back right - can I geometrically still drive home and call this bet?

I’m not a financial planner, but if you can afford to lose the 50k why did it come out of an IRA? Also won’t you have to pay Federal taxes plus a 10% penalty for early withdrawal because you are under 59.5 years old? If true the rake is awful before you play your first hand.

I’m not a financial planner, but if you can afford to lose the 50k why did it come out of an IRA? Also won’t you have to pay Federal taxes plus a 10% penalty for early withdrawal because you are under 59.5 years old? If true the rake is awful before you play your first hand.
Said like a guy who asks what the taxes are when winning a free trip to Hawaii...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom