Death of Movie Theaters (1 Viewer)

Legend5555

Full House
Reaction score
So AMC theaters are mad at WB for putting their 2021 movie releases on HBO Max concurrent to theater release.

AMC rightfully has to look out for themselves, but the pandemic has only hastened what I believe was going to happen anyway. The theater model was bound to die out IMO. I don't think it will ever go away, but I think it will become more of a boutique experience.

Thoughts?

Yeah the multiplex will certainly be dead and the only ones left will be single screen theaters that can provide a added experience other than watching a movie. The model has been dieing for a while IMO. We'd much rather watch on our own screen, in my our own chair, at our own schedule anyways. Only specific movies do I need the large screen experience ie: IMAX or larger wrap screens. Most regular movies I'm happy to stream at home and not pay 10x for drinks/snacks/etc, not even considering the current Covid situation of dealing with confined crowds of people that have come from who knows where.

I think 2021 isn’t going to be a good year for theaters anyway. Vaccine roll-out or not, a lot of people will be skittish.

I love seeing certain movies on the big screen- real IMAX as well.

The industry is ripe for change. Alcohol and reserved recliners were good, but it’s still unpleasant in many ways for me.

Maybe it’s a hybrid version. A few massive “CINERAMA” screens for films that really demand it and can make the $$. Others sent straight home at a higher viewing price.

Completely avoids the high capital cost of theaters and the (largely) horrible experience for films that aren’t going to do well in theaters anyway.

This was pre-COVID - February 2019. My wife and I were the only ones in the theater on a weekday evening.

2BBD96DF-0425-4A00-B2E1-CFFB5870472F.jpeg

I am an electrician and build theater's, just finished a monster 14 screen house in Tysons Corner Va when covid struck!! I mean year and a half project... they staffed up, gourmet kitchen and full bar. The company is called Kerasotes Theaters out of Chicago. Definitely higher end, heated powered reclining seats, no one under 21 after 8 PM I think? With the liquor license and all.

They feel like they found a notch in the market where couples still want the dinner and movie experience... they paid a fortune to build that theater... wasn't even open a week and covid struck!

I still communicate with the GM and for some reason they believe they will make it through this, but I highly doubt it!!

There big opening weekend before covid they had many 40 guest per night in a place that should be thousands! They paid a fortune in advertising to get people there for the opener and it was a total flop!!

I saddly think it is death to the Theater industry for the most part. But I do believe there will be a resurgence someday!!

• Wow
Reactions: BNM
This was pre-COVID - February 2019. My wife and I were the only ones in the theater on a weekday evening.

View attachment 585982
Also @k9dr I have spent countless hours with the sound crew being an electrician and you guys are sitting in the 100 % dead center for sound optimization. Every bit of that room sound wise is built and centered around those few seats.

I will always be the back row center guy! I get there early just to try for those seats!!

The movie theater business is dead, and maybe rightfully so. They have spent decades pricing out it's own customers to the point where technically defunct people can now jailbreak a firestick, and all the while not trying to open up business to attract new people. If they came up with ideas to make it more about the experience and less about the actually thing being shown (think about it - the Super Bowl on that big a screen with a cash bar) they might survive this, but instead all they did was raise prices yet again.

A teenage kid can't really pull off the popcorn trick in a home theater, what a shame.

But seriously I could see many things changing, I am thinking many bars and restaurants in Michigan may not make it through this. I'll stop now.

On the other hand I’ve enjoyed the COVID movie going experience... tickets and popcorn are cheap, never more than two other couples in the theater, got to watch MP/Holy Graile, Halloween, The Shining, Goonies, Breakfast Club and a couple others on the big screen. Die Hard is currently showing, may have to go this weekend :)

Did you read this before posting?
Haha, that’s the first thing I thought of, when I saw this post. I just checked, and AMC is up about ten percent over what it was in March. How is that possible? What else does this company have going on?

The theater industry has been struggling for a long time. I love movies and movie theaters.there are a lot of theaters in our city that went more upscale with much better seating, bar, real dinner menu, etc. and seemed to start doing a bit better over the years.

I went and saw Tennet in the theaters when it was released back in September (?) and IIRC there were 14 of 15 theaters playing Tennet. No one was there. Certainly more staff than moviegoers. They were certainly loosing more money by operating than if they just shut for a while. This is going to be a lost year.

The theater industry will continue to decline but there will still be theaters operating if you want that experience. Probably the more boutique type experience.

I actually took a class specifically on film distribution and the theater industry in college and I wrote my term paper proposing that theaters license rights to sporting and concert events. Seems like a great opportunity to use the space. I would love to watch a football game on the big screen.

I love going to theaters and will continue to support them but they have been turning off people for years with ever increasing prices. What use to be a fun night out with the missus for 20 bucks at most has slowly turned into a $50 escapade after reserving reclining chairs online and ordering some popcorn.

Whether the increased prices are due to the movie studio side of the business or the theater side I’m not sure but either way... the general population, who are not film purists, have gravitated toward watching newly released movies on their iphone rather than breaking the bank to see a movie that will be streamed online in a month.

I would love to watch a football game on the big screen.

I think it’s a problem that football, least NFL football, presently exists as a mechanism for delivering television commercials. I would not want to sit through that crap in a movie theater.
The NFL can show it's commercials in the theater - how else do I know it is time to go get more beer :)

I also remember in early 2000 when drive-ins were showing WWE PPV events and it went over really well. 5 bucks a head to get in, and no one checked to see if the trunk of the car was FILLED with beer.

Movie theater gift cards were the go-to birthday present for all the parties my kids got invited to. Without movie theaters, we’d have to go back to actually picking presents. Nobody wants that!

To see an IMAX movie for two, between tix, snacks and a drink, I am paying $60+ for my wife and I to have a date. Add even more if the movie is 3D. Our local theatre which is now AMC but old (it was built in time for the release of Return of the Jedi in 1983 .... I was there opening night <--- showing my age LOL) has really good prices but unless you are in one of the two newer rooms, the seats are old and crappy and the theatre floor is pretty flat. Why bother when I can watch from home.

However these have popped up and are thriving (Chunky's). Dinner and a first run movie, tix are cheap because you can eat, and the seats are comfortable. Good food and beer for the win :)

1607096551625.png

Other than the high end state of the art theatres and these hybrid restaurant/theatres, I don't see many surviving another year

To see an IMAX movie for two, between tix, snacks and a drink, I am paying $60+ for my wife and I to have a date. Add even more if the movie is 3D. Our local theatre which is now AMC but old (it was built in time for the release of Return of the Jedi in 1983 .... I was there opening night <--- showing my age LOL) has really good prices but unless you are in one of the two newer rooms, the seats are old and crappy and the theatre floor is pretty flat. Why bother when I can watch from home.

However these have popped up and are thriving (Chunky's). Dinner and a first run movie, tix are cheap because you can eat, and the seats are comfortable. Good food and beer for the win :)

View attachment 586037

Other than the high end state of the art theatres and these hybrid restaurant/theatres, I don't see many surviving another year
Wow. I'm not watching a movie in chairs with no armrests.

We took our little queen to see her first movie just about a year ago to see Frozen 2. Luckily we had gift cards for the theatre because after tickets, drinks, candy, popcorn, we were in for around $60 - $70 if I remember correctly. That's simply not a sustainable business model especially when there are a few paradigms shifting:

1. People are way more patient to see a movie down the road when it's released as a PPV from the comfort of your own home or on a streaming service of some sort because of this inherently high price tag. Yes, you can forgo any sort of concession goods (either by eating beforehand or trying to sneak in your own) but the sheer convenience of it all makes it difficult for the average consumer to decline. Especially when they're 3 and a half like here:

80587152_10162709740650285_1750994506573938688_o.jpg

2. Hollywood does not want to take risks at all anymore. Sequels, prequels, remakes, ANYTHING other than paying for good original screenplays is the M.O. of the movie making business. If you can't extrapolate from existing data of movies of yesteryear to figure out the absolute bare minimum a studio needs to invest to create a film that'll generate profit, well it's way too risky in the executive's eyes. Now studios can lose millions upon millions on a box office flop. They have every right to ensure that they're going to be in the green for every production they put on. But their blindness towards min / maxing every single aspect of a movie just sucks the creativity right out, leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

3. Tying into the second point, movie studios do not give a CRAAAAAAAP about the North American market. If Michael Bay big explosion movies make a billion dollars in China and bomb in the West, who the hell cares! The studios got what they wanted in their profit, they don't care where it comes from. Studios will censor, re-edit, do whatever it takes to get their movie in front of Chinese viewers, even if by doing so they're betraying the artistic merit of why they made the film in the first place.

4. Disney. Movie theatres were being kept afloat by the mouse for the last few years pre-Covid. The Marvel Infinity saga, Star Wars, animated features, Mickey has most of them. In return, theatres have absolutely no choice but to acquiesce to any and all demands from Disney in order to be able to show the films that'll get the attendance they need. This leads to other less influential studios to put out movies on releases that do not conflict with a Disney release. Problem with that is that then they're releasing their films during less popular times around the year, which causes not as many moviegoers to see it in the first place.

I doubt that theatres will be as proliferate in a few years from now. The business model of both the studios and theatres are both at odds with how accessible the medium of movies is. The more successful ones will carve out a niche and it'll be a more unique experience than it was before, but those venues will only thrive in denser urban areas.

Back in college I worked for MANN theatres, and I am a pretty big movie buff, but I haven't been to a theatre since ~2018 and I can tell you it's because of 2 factors:
1) Cell phones - I can't stand it when people talk on their phones or keep looking at their screens, which then shine bright for everyone to see. People can't shut off their phones for 5 fucking minutes, let alone 120......

2) Something I call "DVD culture" - I really feel like people sit in the theatre and talk as if they were sitting at home watching something on their TV. I seriously can't remember the last movie I went to where NO ONE spoke at least once during the show, and I noticed it was almost always people who walked in right after the previews and/or 1 minute after the movie started and they ALWAYS sat 3-4 seats around me. It was unbelievable how often it happened.

My wife said I have "Theatre Rage" (like road rage) where I usually had to yell "Shut Up" out loud at least once per movie, to the point we just stopped going....
People have become self absorbed, rude assholes, and the "instant" culture we live in caused those issues to appear in 120 minutes or less.............

So yeah, I don't miss them and good riddance....

The last time I went there was a movie nazi that kept telling everyone to shut up and put up their phones like he owned the place. Made it really hard to talk to my wife about what we thought was going to happen next.

How does dinner and a movie work? All that background noise... Looking over folks from the back... Missing key points because I’m looking at my food?

That does not appeal to me at all.

Back in college I worked for MANN theatres, and I am a pretty big movie buff, but I haven't been to a theatre since ~2018 and I can tell you it's because of 2 factors:
1) Cell phones - I can't stand it when people talk on their phones or keep looking at their screens, which then shine bright for everyone to see. People can't shut off their phones for 5 fucking minutes, let alone 120......

2) Something I call "DVD culture" - I really feel like people sit in the theatre and talk as if they were sitting at home watching something on their TV. I seriously can't remember the last movie I went to where NO ONE spoke at least once during the show, and I noticed it was almost always people who walked in right after the previews and/or 1 minute after the movie started and they ALWAYS sat 3-4 seats around me. It was unbelievable how often it happened.

My wife said I have "Theatre Rage" (like road rage) where I usually had to yell "Shut Up" out loud at least once per movie, to the point we just stopped going....
People have become self absorbed, rude assholes, and the "instant" culture we live in caused those issues to appear in 120 minutes or less.............

The answer to all of this is Alamo Drafthouse.

This. I hated going to movie theaters with people talking loud and have their phones on viewing them. And not even turning down the brightness on them. Last few times I went to a theater it was virtually empty and I loved it. I remember watching Gravity in an empty theater and it was a great experience with its moments of silence. Only time I saw the movie but I still remember the experience.

Whenever theaters are opening regularly again, well probably only go to theaters for films our kids would want to see, but nothing else. Iused to love films, even worked in the film industry for a time, but I've since mostly lost interest in films.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom