Death in our Poker League - What to do? (1 Viewer)

Jake_rrr

Pair
Reaction score
One of our regular guys suddenly passed away a few days ago. Tomorrow is the last game of our league which is about 7-8 people of which I run.

Has anyone done anything special in this situation?

One guy mentioned still setting a stack out for him and blinding it out.

Of course we are going to do a little toast to him before the game.

Jake

One of our regular guys suddenly passed away a few days ago. Tomorrow is the last game of our league which is about 7-8 people of which I run.

Has anyone done anything special in this situation?

One guy mentioned still setting a stack out for him and blinding it out.

Of course we are going to do a little toast to him before the game.

Jake
No one size fits all answer for this situation. Whatever makes everyone feel better. I'm not crazy about blinding him out though as it has an effect on the game and benefits the players who get to bleed his stack.

The blinded stack is pretty classy. Depending on how close you were and the relationship dynamics I would consider a collection for a flower arrangement for the viewing.

One of my regular players lost his fiancé a while back and it meant a lot to him that we all chipped in to get an arrangement.

No one size fits all answer for this situation. Whatever makes everyone feel better. I'm not crazy about blinding him out though as it has an effect on the game and benefits the players who get to bleed his stack.

I wouldn't post a stack for him. Definitely do a toast. If you have a website you could dedicate this game to him.

You could always suggest that the winner (s) donate some of their winnings (or just you) to the family. Instead of flowers I prefer to get people gift cards in this situation so that they can order dinner out or something. One less meal to worry about.

I'm currently designing commemorative card protectors for this situation as we lost a founding member just a couple months ago. They will be oversized ceramic with the player photo on both sides surrounded by his favorite poker phrase 'All of It!' That way we can all have a remembrance of him to take with us whenever we play out if we so desire.

I made sure all the other guys knew what happened. And our player, Mike, who had passed, didn't come from a lot of money. A fund was set up to help cover funeral costs which I passed on the info and several guys donated towards.

His service was today and I got to meet his long time significant other/girl friend and she knew of me, and I talked to his son that has played with us once.

I'm currently designing commemorative card protectors for this situation as we lost a founding member just a couple months ago. They will be oversized ceramic with the player photo on both sides surrounded by his favorite poker phrase 'All of It!' That way we can all have a remembrance of him to take with us whenever we play out if we so desire.

I was thinking something like this as well. He would all ways say "Well, you're pricing me in" and I thought that would be a good All In chip or something.

Not sure about a blinded stack. The small blind could pick off the big blinds all night if it's folded to him. It's not positionally even. I'd just say leave an empty chair at the table with no chips or cards.

jake, i'm sorry to hijack your thread for an unrelated question, but have you posted pics of the set in your avatar? look pretty sweet in the tiny pic...

jake, i'm sorry to hijack your thread for an unrelated question, but have you posted pics of the set in your avatar? look pretty sweet in the tiny pic...

Haha, no problem. I have but on CT. I should put them in an album on here.

Very sorry to hear about your poker buddy. I think leaving a full stack in front of any empty chair would be a very nice tribute (although I'm sure some of the purists will raise a stink over the idea).

I love the idea of blinding off his stack. The guy was part of the league anyway. I don't agree that the SB can leach the BB without impunity, all players know it's an empty stack and can bet the SB out of the hand to scoop the blinds.

I love the idea of blinding off his stack. The guy was part of the league anyway. I don't agree that the SB can leach the BB without impunity, all players know it's an empty stack and can bet the SB out of the hand to scoop the blinds.

Player to the right of the blinded stack would be button twice per orbit...

I like the idea of a symbolic gesture like that but imo it would be better if it didn't affect the game... Maybe you can have a stack for him but no place at the table... For every hand you'd sweeten the pot with one additional blind from his stack in his honor... For every hand you'd have 2.5 blinds in play... Until his stack is gone...

Sorry for your loss...

We have done a "memorial" stack before. Blind him for the first 3 levels and then remove the stack. Essentially it would be the same as if someone were running late. In our league they have 60 minutes to be blinded and then they are out.
I think this would be a good solution while showing your respects.

If you want to post a commemorative stack and blind it off, I respect that - but don't give him the blind seats. It does disturb the game.

If you just post a (pardon the term) dead blind into the pot every hand, he'll be contributing to every pot until his stack as gone. I think the stack, the seat, and the tribute are all there. After his last blind bet, a toast is in order.

We sadly had a similar case in my local club and we've decided to rename the annual competition with his initials: KDM Challenge, K stands for Krystal - the bar where we play and DM the initials of our friend...

Sorry to hear about your friend. I like Mental's suggestion. Awesome tourney set too!

Set up an honorary seat with stack, but don't deal to it or blind it out. Having the stack ante a small or big blind on every hand is an option, or just leave it as is,full stack til the tourney ends.

Very sorry to hear about your poker buddy. I think leaving a full stack in front of any empty chair would be a very nice tribute (although I'm sure some of the purists will raise a stink over the idea).

Agree

Agree

Player to the right of the blinded stack would be button twice per orbit...

I like the idea of a symbolic gesture like that but imo it would be better if it didn't affect the game... Maybe you can have a stack for him but no place at the table... For every hand you'd sweeten the pot with one additional blind from his stack in his honor... For every hand you'd have 2.5 blinds in play... Until his stack is gone...

Might be a better option, but don't really have a problem with just a stack on the table, as if he were playing one last game..

Set up an honorary seat with stack, but don't deal to it or blind it out. Having the stack ante a small or big blind on every hand is an option, or just leave it as is,full stack til the tourney ends.

^This. A memorial stack and chair representing the player for the duration of the event. Doesn't get dealt cards or blinded out -- but it stands strong until the end and will be a constant reminder of your fallen colleague.

We have done a "memorial" stack before. Blind him for the first 3 levels and then remove the stack. Essentially it would be the same as if someone were running late. In our league they have 60 minutes to be blinded and then they are out.
I think this would be a good solution while showing your respects.

I really like Lecterr 's idea, this has a nice feel to it, and doesn't effect on the later part of the tourney. You could do this without pulling blinds and after the third round pull the stack off the table and to a toast at that time.

Sorry for your loss

I like the idea of a memorial stack with no blinds being posted. I am probably going to get roasted for this, but depending on how close everyone was with him I would even deal him in as if he is still there. Obviously his cards would be "dead" (poor choice of words, but best describes them) but at least they are on the table for him to look at. :)

Personally, depending on the number of players, I would toast him every time the button goes past him.....If there are only four players maybe every other time....

Sorry for your loss. I like the idea of a stack and a small blind donation to each pot for the first 3 rounds. Then leave the remainder of the stack in front of the chair for the remainder of the game

Thanks everyone.

Mike was a good guy. He had a heart attack about 8 months ago, and tried to stop smoking and all the other stuff the doctor told him to do. Never ended up stopping and had another heart attack in his sleep. At least he didn't suffer with that one. He was 54, had 3 children and 12 grand kids already.

I like the idea of a chair and chip stack for him during the game and leaving it there. That might be the way I go.

Mike was a good guy. He had a heart attack about 8 months ago, and tried to stop smoking and all the other stuff the doctor told him to do. Never ended up stopping and had another heart attack in his sleep. At least he didn't suffer with that one. He was 54, had 3 children and 12 grand kids already.

really brutal. good reminder to everyone (especially those with families/kids who depend on them) to take care of ourselves. definitely a reminder i need anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom