Dealing ahead, behind, or one dealer? (1 Viewer)

Always 2 decks. Next dealer (current small blind) shuffles the next deck. That deck is cut by the former dealer by cutting the deck and taking the top portion that is cut and laying it on the cut card which is next to the deck towards the new dealer.

2 decks. Previous dealer collects the cards at the end of the previous hand and shuffles. They pass to the the current dealer at some point during the hand who then cuts the deck and passes it to the SB to deal at the conclusion of the current hand.

We have the current dealer gather the cards from the hand he just dealt, shuffle the deck, and hand it forward two players. When it's your hand to deal, you cut the shuffled deck and deal.

i think shuffle behind is more efficient.

The person dealing knows whats going on and after hand, they immediately collect the cards and start shuffling while the player to the left is dealing. Once shuffle complete pass the cards 2 seats to your left.

this is highly contested at EVERY meet up and you can fall in to 1 of 2 camps.

The civilized, evolved, Shuffle behind camp.

Or the knuckle dragging, velcro instead of shoelaces, shuffle ahead camp. :D

Edit: I down mind either way really. just prefer and think it goes smoother when shuffle behind.

two decks, previous dealer collects and shuffles, passes ahead to small blind. simples.

We shuffle ahead also. Don’t know about efficiency but we’re just used to it and it’s hard to change now - especially since I still have to remind the occasional player to burn one!

Another fan of shuffle behind here (aka dealer cleans up his/her own mess).

I read a post recently, probably on PCF but not necessarily, about the small blind trying to gather the cards as the deal begins such that there are three hands moving cards within a two-foot radius. With shuffle behind, the shuffler has time to pull in the old deck before the dealer gets around to that end of the table.

I'll do either, but at my house it's shuffle behind.

Edited to add: In order, (1) one dedicated dealer, (2) shuffle behind, (3) shuffle ahead.

Last edited:
I always take a seat in the middle and deal full time. I deal one deck while the BB shuffles. I cut the deck when I get the shuffled deck handed to me.

2 decks. Previous dealer collects the cards at the end of the previous hand and shuffles. They pass to the the current dealer at some point during the hand who then cuts the deck and passes it to the SB to deal at the conclusion of the current hand.
We have the current dealer gather the cards from the hand he just dealt, shuffle the deck, and hand it forward two players. When it's your hand to deal, you cut the shuffled deck and deal.
The person dealing knows whats going on and after hand, they immediately collect the cards and start shuffling while the player to the left is dealing. Once shuffle complete pass the cards 2 seats to your left.

This is my preferred method and if it is "shuffle behind" then that's what I like to do. I have been converted from the other method for sure. But any 2 deck method is better than any 1 deck method.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom