Dealer Sample Sets (1 Viewer)

Joronamo

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Are sample set chips different in any way to the real thing or is just the same chips but only one of each denomination? Thanks in advance.

Same chips, just one of each denomination.

Usually.

I actually did have slightly modified inlays be put on the samples of my Club Hel set so I could tell live chips apart from samples.

marking.jpg

But I'm apparently a rare case.

My samples all got a UV mark. Manually placed on the chip by me, so it may be possible to scrub it off, but I'm not concerned about it. I don't have a UV lamp anyway.

Reactions: Nex
Cool. Do you recommend all chip collectors UV mark their chips? Can you erase it if you make a mistake or is it permanent?

Depends on the specific marker you buy. There are non-permanent and permanent ones. The Edding from the pic is a permanent one. I haven't managed to get it off even with magic eraser, neither from the plastic inlay nor from the clay material.

I would only UV mark samples I give out, and maybe not even all of those, but only the cash chips (i.e. no tournament chips) where nominal value > production cost.
One small dot on each inlay side and a couple dots evenly spaced around the rolling edge (so it's visible in stacks too).
A good deterrent that will make it pretty much impossible to sneak a sample back into your game undetected in an attempt to cash it out if you play Cosmic Poker.

I don't see any other reasons for doing it.

Cool. Do you recommend all chip collectors UV mark their chips? Can you erase it if you make a mistake or is it permanent?

Not recommended, I did it for giggles. Glasses on the Zombie, filling in one of the mold spots, etc. It's all but useless from a security standpoint, unless you don't trust your players and you are playing at stakes high enough to warrant counterfeits, and you use a uv light at cash-out for cash game chips, and you examine every chip at cash-out. Even then, still useless for tournament chips.

NL25 will already suffice once a bunch of $5 chips land on the table from rebuys. Not a load of profit to be made with an average production cost CPC $5 chip, but hey, it's still a profit.

Trust is a nice thing, but there's a saying that where money begins, friendship ends.

Using UV on cashout is a good start, it protects your bank, but not the players however. Suppose player A who snuck the chip in put it in a pot he lost and the chip ended up in B's stack, who then gets unjustly shorted on cashout while bad boy A gets away with more than he deserves, and incognito.

Catching it at the very time it is attempted to be placed on the table for the first time would be the perfect achievement. Under normal circumstances that'd be hard if not impossible to pull off, but you could very well effortlessly do this by playing Cosmic Poker as mentioned. If you mark the rolling edge, it will instantly be visible to everyone at the table.

Of course you'd have an even bigger incentive to play like that when you have a set where clay colors were picked with UV in mind :) Show off your glowing chips, prevent money loss at the root. Two birds one stone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom