Dealer forcing action help (1 Viewer)

Gil

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I’m full time dealer as well as player at my home game. There’s always a few players who don’t pay attention that it’s there turn to act which will slow the game up the whole night. How can I fix this? Literally it happens all the time by the same players. We’re always having fun laughing and drinking and talking but is there a way to hell with this?

I’m full time dealer as well as player at my home game. There’s always a few players who don’t pay attention that it’s there turn to act which will slow the game up the whole night. How can I fix this? Literally it happens all the time by the same players. We’re always having fun laughing and drinking and talking but is there a way to hell with this?

I do the full time dealing in my home game as well.

I got some of these chips
1640109013655.png

and I chuck them at the players stack ( or the player ) when they're holding up the game repeatedly. I'd say it has helped, but not completely eliminated, the problem.

View attachment 833126

and I chuck them at the players stack ( or the player ) when they're holding up the game repeatedly. I'd say it has helped, but not completely eliminated, the problem.
Haha love it

Skip their deal and see if they notice? Lol kidding

The only thing I can think to do is:
- If it's your game that you host: I would pull aside those players after the gave, give them a friendly reminder that while table talk is all in good fun to please make an effort to be more aware of the action. Let them know if it persists or there are complaints about the action being held up they'll be given a legitimate warning next time

- If it's a game you attend and are not the host: speak to the host after your next game, express your concerns. Ask him to do the same as above for those players. If he declines (and only if he declines) perhaps ask if it would be alright if you spoke to them in a friendly manner.

This second situation is more difficult if you are not the host as you don't want to step on anyone's toes here

A good dealer controls the action by silently pointing at each person as it becomes their turn to act. After a few seconds, a couple taps on the table in front of the player and/or stating "action here" will wake them up.
I like "action here". The problem then might become how does the person know the state of the game. Giving options like how much the current bet is might be mitigated by good table hygiene, e.g. chips in an expected spot or people's hands in a consistent area.

I immediately go to some more high - tech thoughts of a LED at the spot for the person whose action it is. Though that seems overkill...

Table taps, 'action on you' works well.

If someone is in the middle of a story to most of the table I wait for it to finish before dealing the next hand.

Repeated offenders get called "Talky McTalktalk" - it's the game allowed version of telling someone they're being a dick and slowing down the game, but with a smile.

I'm usually paying attention, but I remember someone using a funny line to me or someone else not paying attention -- something like: 'hey ____, what would you do if it was on you?' or 'hey ____, what would you do if it was your turn to act'
That'd be Andy (buffalo)
That's his signature line!

View attachment 833126

I hand out 3-4 to each player... they get whizzed across the table as people hold up the game. Often times at myself. Fun as hell.

I'm usually paying attention, but I remember someone using a funny line to me or someone else not paying attention -- something like: 'hey ____, what would you do if it was on you?' or 'hey ____, what would you do if it was your turn to act'

lol, another good one I've heard of is when someone asks "oh, is it on me?", you reply with "if everyone's waiting, it's on you...."

Just be glad your the full time dealer. This problem is worse when the dealer is the one holding up the game because they are in the middle of a story. Every hand.

If it's a cash game, I'd be less inclined push the game along to keep it friendly. If the table is too quiet it might be a serious game. If you given the player a sign of it's their turn and another player verbally says it, I'd be more inclined to "push" it since there's a player who actually wants the hands per hour to go up. yeah it might give you a few more hands per hour, but not really that much more. Personally I would rather play at talking table than a quiet one. If it's higher stakes I could see why there would be less talking. If it's a tournament it's kind of a given.

A good dealer controls the action by silently pointing at each person as it becomes their turn to act. After a few seconds, a couple taps on the table in front of the player and/or stating "action here" will wake them up.
Thats the mic drop right there, but in home game / self deal, its going to be what it is.

Get an action clock, you can hack it and put in a foot pedal

CCD264EC-7787-4A63-A878-61C22A5DAAB1.jpeg

I have an idea I’m gonna try out tomorrow. If anyone is talking while the blind is on them I’ll continue action and flick this button towards them.

Never point.

Agreed that using an open hand on the table seems more elegant and professional than pointing, but I'm curious about why "never point" is expressed so stringently in that book. If a dealer pointed I'd think it odd just because it's not usually done, but I wouldn't feel like he'd violated a professional standard. Is there a deeper reason to avoid pointing?

Agreed that using an open hand on the table seems more elegant and professional than pointing, but I'm curious about why "never point" is expressed so stringently in that book. If a dealer pointed I'd think it odd just because it's not usually done, but I wouldn't feel like he'd violated a professional standard. Is there a deeper reason to avoid pointing?
Just think about all the negative connotations of “being pointed out”

In the western part of the US the indigenous people consider it extremely rude to point, so they use their lips to point out things (sounds weird, but if your hands are full you do this too!) or nod the head or whatever. That gets carried into a lot of our normal interactions here.

Here is a short video, but basically almost anywhere in the world it’s considered rude to point with your finger.

I agree it is rude to literally point, I would typically use an open hand face up or down and / or tap the table just in front of the person who's action it is. With people talking and being loud it can be hard to be heard over conversations. Sometime calling them by name helps just depends on the moment.

I find this to be slightly funny, because Americans will refer to others in a conversation as s/he, or him / her when the him/her is IN the conversation, that is also considered rude, you should use person's name.

Interesting. I'd never thought about it consciously, but I can see how in many circumstances someone might consider pointing at a person with an index finger rude. My own impression is that both using an index finger (versus an open hand) and pointing directly at someone (versus in a general direction or at an object) are more focused, and that focused attention on a person is a potential (but not certain) indication that something could be amiss. Context is everything, of course, but I would generally consider it not rude per se but rather interesting or important.

It certainly makes sense that a dealer would want to avoid giving even unintentional offense, of course.

Etiquette is a fascinating topic; so much depends on cultural assumptions.

Yup, this gets used all the time by my players when we get the occasional slow to act situation. We’ve even had to throw out the “what would you do right now if you were the dealer?” Lol.

Too many offenses lead to not being invited.

It sucks, because we need numbers...but the constant not knowing when a turn is takes away from everyone's enjoyment.

I use ‘it’s on you bud’ when this happens. No complaints and keeps the game moving. The same for everyone. No favorites.

Reactions: Gil

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom