Dealer error ruling (1 Viewer)

ballefrans

Two Pair
Reaction score
Cash game, late night, beers and whiskey.

Self dealt game and dealer burns and flips over river after a bet and a raise and before the player who bet responded to the raise.

Whats the ruling? Put the card back in the deck and shuffle and then let the player act before dealing the river?

From Robert's rules of poker Section 5 Hold'em:
If the dealer turns the fourth card on the board before the betting round is complete, the card is taken out of play for that round, even if subsequent players elect to fold. The betting is then completed. The dealer burns and turns what would have been the fifth card in the fourth card’s place. After this round of betting, the dealer reshuffles the deck, including the card that was taken out of play, but not including the burncards or discards. The dealer then cuts the deck and turns the final card without burning a card. If the fifth card is turned up prematurely, the deck is reshuffled and dealt in the same manner.

From Robert's rules of poker Section 5 Hold'em:
If the dealer turns the fourth card on the board before the betting round is complete, the card is taken out of play for that round, even if subsequent players elect to fold. The betting is then completed. The dealer burns and turns what would have been the fifth card in the fourth card’s place. After this round of betting, the dealer reshuffles the deck, including the card that was taken out of play, but not including the burncards or discards. The dealer then cuts the deck and turns the final card without burning a card. If the fifth card is turned up prematurely, the deck is reshuffled and dealt in the same manner.

Thanks. Whats the reason for the card beeing taken out if it happens on the turn but not if it happens on the river? Or am I reading that wrong?

So that the card that is dealt on the turn is still the same card that would have been dealt on the river. To make the board as close to what it should have been without the error.
After the turn is dealt, you can then shuffle the card back in.

So that the card that is dealt on the turn is still the same card that would have been dealt on the river. To make the board as close to what it should have been without the error.
After the turn is dealt, you can then shuffle the card back in.
Nothing magic about unseen cards. If you read Bob's discussion notes, he states a superior method would be to immediately shuffle the exposed card back in so that the exposed card has two chances to come back.

Nothing magic about unseen cards. If you read Bob's discussion notes, he states a superior method would be to immediately shuffle the exposed card back in so that the exposed card has two chances to come back.
Yup. Not saying one method is superior to the other, but if you're just slightly superstitios, it certainly feels more like the board that was "supposed" to come out.

You can rule however you like, it just needs to be consistent and written down somewhere.
Since I don't want to write my own rule book I just refer to Roberts rules of poker and make the ruling accordingly.

Thanks for replys. Think I like putting the card back in the deck and shuffling if its on the turn or the river. In game we took the card out and opponent ended up mucking his hand in disgust since the exposed card would have made him trips.. He would have lost more since the other player would have made a boat.

Dumb decision not to put the card back in the deck and shuffle up but a lot of dumb decisions was made that night

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom