DBL Board Omaha. Would you fold this? (1 Viewer)

Fold Call Raise

• Fold

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Call

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Raise

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MatB

Royal Flush
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Double board Omaha (5cards)
Blinds are $1/$1
8 handed
Stacks range from $180 to $900

Your dealt 66322

pre flop betting gets up to $6 action on you.

What do you do?

I’m an Omaha nit, and would probably fold. I mean, even if I’m hitting a set on one board, I’m not feeling comfortable.

I haven't played a lot of 5 card omaha, but I feel like with these cards, you'd probably need to make quads to win a board? I mean, I suppose the 6's are decent blockers if youre lucky enough to catch a 4 and a 5 and some other straight card? But no, I don't think these cards are worth speculating with, even if it only costs 6 bucks.

Last edited:
I dont know, maybe you guys are missing the part where there are 2 boards?

I think its a flat call. See the flop. Drill it or move on.

2 boards FFS. Twice the fun :)

I fear you're missing the part where you're 8-handed and everyone has 5 cards :p

Personally, (as you already know) i would never fold this unless preflop action went insane. But for $6 you have to call.

Actually, if preflop went insane, im probably going to call assuming everyone else has premium.

SO moral of the story is . I'm not folding for anything. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

2 boards FFS. Twice the fun :)
Are you scooping? Likely not. So you want to toss in six bucks on the hope of catching quads or a boat on one of the boards to chop? You could catch a 7-high straight but that seems low for 5-card Omaha.

Nope. Fold.

You want serious strategy advice? Fold.

What Chippy said, Matt.

My view of DBPLO is kinda the opposite of the majority though. You need a hand to make, not a decent, but a GREAT hand in at least one the boards. That's just me. Specially playing at a table where no one folds. There's very little chance of pushing someone out from a okay hand in one board.

Now, if I'm closing the action, I might throw a red chips there to see what happens...

Now, that comes from someone who might have been the only player during the weekend to have pulled a 3-barrel bluff with air on DBPLO. Got called (obviously) and lost my stack.

Are you scooping? Likely not. So you want to toss in six bucks on the hope of catching quads or a boat on one of the boards to chop? You could catch a 7-high straight but that seems low for 5-card Omaha.

Nope. Fold.

Likelihood of a scoop is slim for any pre-flop hand.

If my hole cards were 2,2,9,6,6 i may lean towards a fold ( probably not) but not feeling as good. Probably folding to bigger raises.
But with 2 opportunities to hit quads (twice no less) I'm definitely not going anywhere for $6

Yeah I think you need a 4&5 on one board and a set (2 or 6) on the other board with both being rainbows to continue. If you got those miracle flops, you’re still not out of the woods as still have not made the straight and could easily have bottom set. Still have to fade board pairing and back door flushes. That’s a lot to avoid especially being eight handed. Pretty much every card is in play (8x5=40 + 5x2=50) that’s the scary part to me.

My view of DBPLO is kinda the opposite of the majority though. You need a hand to make, not a decent, but a GREAT hand in at least one the boards.

I agree with this. As long as you can lock up one board, you have a decent chance to take the whole pot down with a high level of aggression on later streets.

With 66322, your only realistic shot at locking one board up is to hit quads (or a SF), and you're not @derekdd23.

What Chippy said, Matt.

My view of DBPLO is kinda the opposite of the majority though. You need a hand to make, not a decent, but a GREAT hand in at least one the boards. That's just me. Specially playing at a table where no one folds. There's very little chance of pushing someone out from a okay hand in one board.

Now, if I'm closing the action, I might throw a red chips there to see what happens...

Now, that comes from someone who might have been the only player during the weekend to have pulled a 3-barrel bluff with air on DBPLO. Got called (obviously) and lost my stack.

I agree you need to make GREAT hand, not just an ok hand. But we are talking pre-flop action here. If a $6 call gets you a peek at the flops (both of them :)) i think you have to at least look.

24 cards in the deck are 7 or lower. (not counting aces) With Aces 28

take out my 5 cards, you're left with 23 cards 7 or lower that i can connect with for a makable hand. (if i dont smash squads)

2 flops.

And i'll re-iterate, this is not putting your stack on the line pre-flop. this is pretty close to calling a min raise.

And i'll re-iterate, this is not putting your stack on the line pre-flop. this is pretty close to calling a min raise.

Which is why it's not a terrible move to call, so long as you can readily fold sets and under fulls in many situations. If you can't, then calling is going to be very -EV long term.

But your original question was "would you fold this?", and I think most people if they were playing for maximum EV would fold this hand.

I agree you need to make GREAT hand, not just an ok hand. But we are talking pre-flop action here. If a $6 call gets you a peek at the flops (both of them :)) i think you have to at least look.

24 cards in the deck are 7 or lower. (not counting aces) With Aces 28

take out my 5 cards, you're left with 23 cards 7 or lower that i can connect with for a makable hand. (if i dont smash squads)

2 flops.

I hear you man... The problem is that a few of those low cards can get you in serious trouble. Like a QJ2ss... Now you have bottom set on a broadway and flush draw board. How many bets are you gonna call off? Your stack? And that's for half the pot (which is okay since it's likely there will be more than 2 players in the hand, at least until the turn).

Additionally, yeah, it's only $5 more... But it adds up, specially if you're calling the flop more often than not also. Flop pot would be something like $25-$35.

Which is why it's not a terrible move to call, so long as you can readily fold under fulls in most situations. If you can't, then calling is going to be very -EV long term.

But your original question was "would you fold this?", and I think most people if they were playing for maximum EV would fold this hand.

I agree, theres almost nothing worse than flopping an under boat, and knowing it.
As loose as some may think my call is, i can tighten up and fold a boat in that situation post flop.

But lets talk about EV, we playing this every day? grinding it out? we talking -EV in 1 session? is there a difference?

Its a real question, for me a single session of circus will change my actions/ decisions. Maybe thats a wrong way for me to think

I agree, theres almost nothing worse than flopping an under boat, and knowing it.
As loose as some may think my call is, i can tighten up and fold a boat in that situation post flop.

But lets talk about EV, we playing this every day? grinding it out? we talking -EV in 1 session? is there a difference?

Its a real question, for me a single session of circus will change my actions/ decisions. Maybe thats a wrong way for me to think

I think that's a good point Matt. And the way I look at it is to strike a balance between playing a bunch of hands and at the same time be disciplined when potential issues arise. In my case though, even if I fold a hand, I still have fun following the action and shooting the shit with people, so it's not that big of a deal to fold, for me.

I dont know, maybe you guys are missing the part where there are 2 boards?

Personally, (as you already know) i would never fold this unless preflop action went insane. But for $6 you have to call.

But with 2 opportunities to hit quads (twice no less) I'm definitely not going anywhere for $6

If a $6 call gets you a peek at the flops (both of them :)) i think you have to at least look.

100% with MatB on all of this... pretty sure my flop percentage in DBO is >90% :)

I think that's a good point Matt. And the way I look at it is to strike a balance between playing a bunch of hands and at the same time be disciplined when potential issues arise. In my case though, even if I fold a hand, I still have fun following the action and shooting the shit with people, so it's not that big of a deal to fold, for me.

100% agree, LOVED following the action even after i folded. Some real nail biters.

I see that many cards on the table, I turn around and don't give myself the opportunity to fold. (y) :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom