Data Only Tablet SIM Card in old Phone/iPhone? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I'd like to keep my old phone running as a spare for GPS/travel/dicking-around use, and don't want to be locked into WiFi. I researched this the honest way over the weekend with a few carriers, and it seems that no one will sell the discounted data-only plan for a phone (unless you are hearing impaired - in which case the voice/call functions serves no real purpose). As such, "data only" plans are restricted to tablets (at least from an honest/up front perspective).

There are some hacks out there where folks have activated an iPad/Tablet SIM card in said devices, and then moved the SIM card over to their old iPhone/phone for ongoing data usage. Some internet reports indicate that success might be short lived, as some carriers randomly "audit" data accounts, and if they find you using a data-only account with an "unauthorized" device, they shutter the account entirely (including any other devices/SIM cards associated with that account). Others say some carriers tie data-only SIM cards to a device's IMEI number, and they know immediately whether it is in an "authorized" device, and toggle data usage (on/off) automatically.

I also read where one guy got a Tmobile SIM card, walked into Best Buy, activated the SIM card on a floor model iPad, and then slapped the SIM into his iPhone. Apparently he's been using/paying for the service for years with no issue.

Has anyone done anything like this? Or gotten a data-only account working on an older phone? If so - please report your success/failures/results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom