DA VINCI Unicorn chips? (1 Viewer)

Any thoughts on these for a basic table game? Have 100 and they are not bad. Edge spots are great. Could do without a Unicorn but...$13 for 50 shipped
https://www.amazon.com/VINCI-Unicorn-Denomination-Authentic-Weighted/dp/B07YCW3DG1/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QN5HSMHBWHHG&dchild=1&keywords=unicorn+poker+chips&qid=1593919388&sprefix=unicorn+poker,aps,157&sr=8-2
I've never heard of them... I'm assuming they're just cheap China Clays.

They don't look bad - the colors are a little muted though and 8.5 grams is a little light for my preferences but the price is right.

Do you have any specific questions about them or something?

I guess I was just trying to find anyone that maybe could tell me if they were China clay or not and if they had anything with different logos. The Unicorn is not bad but not really what I would think would be on a poker chip either. LOL. I can not find much info on the brand or anything. I have tried searching but come up empty. The chip is a little light but not bad. I think I am just going to say forget it and buy 1,000 of them. That way I have a larger set of chips for big games and I can always spend more money on nicer chips for smaller games.

Reread the OP and realized that you already have some. Please examine closely for a mold injection dimple. This is the only realistic way to determine if they are compressed (China Clay) or injection molded plastic.

I believe these are just a variant of Nexgen all plastic chips which you can probably find at about half the price elsewhere.
Correct. They are Injection-molded plastic (no metal slug) with adhesive-backed labels applied. Lightweight and relatively slippery, and certainly no bargain at 26c/chip. You could do worse I suppose, but you could also do a whole lot better. Cheap custom ceramics will outperform these by a mile for a similar price, and will look however you want them to look.

Please examine closely for a mold injection dimple. This is the only realistic way to determine if they are compressed (China Clay) or injection molded plastic.
China clays aren't compressed, they are injection-molded plastic with additives (the injection point is on one side of the chip under the label). The lies and myth that china clay chips are compressed (or even clay) was spread by two people who had financial motivations; neither are involved in chipping any longer.

.........China clays aren't compressed, they are injection-molded plastic with additives (the injection point is on one side of the chip under the label). The lies and myth that china clay chips are compressed (or even clay) was spread by two people who had financial motivations; neither are involved in chipping any longer.
Cool, thanks. I just examined some CC blanks and spotted the dimple on one or two. I like the idea of dimple under label/inlay.

I have had these for a while - note that i own a number of pauslon sets and some old time clay sets that are pretty obsolete- got these for a friend and thought the samples seemed nice and now he has them (has never paid me for them either - great friend). Anyway they have been in his very regular game for a couple years now - everyone hates them (colorwise they are excellent and due to a few color confused players in the game these seemed to be a good option). WAY TOO SLIPPERY!!! I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH! These will definitely work and for a very occasional player might be ok but there is another plastic/clay mix of some sort chip many on here already know about called MILANO (i know another guy that has this chip for his game) and they stack and feel very much like a good clay chip. Milanos have color issues sometimes where a red might be a little more pink a d you may have to reapply a label from time to time but the milano stacks and works very nicely (china clay so you will also get some slight size variation in chips which is normal in china clays but we have played with this chip for over 6 years with zero complaints. Its no paulson but that Milano chip seems to play more like an actual clay chip than these horrible and very slippery plastic unicorns. Unicorns are no good.

In my opinion, the nexgen type of plastic chips feels better than china clays, but that’s probably not the general consensus here.
Definately personal preference. I like the NextGen chips too. If you like them then expand the set! Don't be too influenced just because so many people in here lean towards chips that cost more.

Definately personal preference. I like the NextGen chips too. If you like them then expand the set! Don't be too influenced just because so many people in here lean towards chips that cost more.
I totally agree but im only trying to honestly be helpful (not a hater). However i strongly suggest you get any other chip than the unicorns. We have people very regularly barely knocking their chips a little and these things slide all over the place. The weight of the chip would be fine if they werent so slippery and these get alot of play and they are just as slippery as day one. Everyone likes the nice color of these chips (they present well) but inwould 100 percent take a target chip off the shelf before id ever purposefully use these. Im also not advocating expensive paulson chips (however paulsons often gain value over time and you definitely wont have to lose the investment over time so that should be considered too). My main point is that if you play once or twice per year go ahead and purchase these horribly slippery chips…if you play more get a decent cheap ceramic set or something. I bought 998 “scroll” ceramics (for another friend that actually paid me)
this time) and they played great and stacked nice - i paid 200 bucks for 998 on eBay so im definitely not trying to say purchase more expensive - just dont buy the unicorns unless you are very occasionally playing. Not a good “regular” players chip and no one in our game likes them and we have many personalities in our game.

Color difference is excellent for players with trouble differentiating colors but they are a plastic chip. Guys liked them when we played.

Can anybody say for sure if these chips are plastic or clay composite?
"Clay composite" is a marketing term, typically used by sellers who wish to avoid calling their products "plastic" (which is what they actually are).

A more accurate description would be "plastic composite". But they contain zero clay.

Look a lot like nexgens. My buddy had a set years ago and it wasn’t bad. Certainly better than dice chips IMO.

Order a small amount and see what you think!

Were these sold by Chipco back in the day? My plastic unicorn samples are long gone, but I recall people recommending these (and Sopranos and the heavier Super Diamonds) as alternatives to Faux Clay when FC became scarce.

Were these sold by Chipco back in the day? My plastic unicorn samples are long gone, but I recall people recommending these (and Sopranos and the heavier Super Diamonds) as alternatives to Faux Clay when FC became scarce.
Desperate times indeed

I ordered 50 of these off of Amazon because the colors were nice enough. I found them to be super slick, and sort of awkward to use. I couldn't slowly push a barrel to the bet line without them sliding all over the place.

Pros: Colors are nice, and the labels come off easily if you want to relabel.
Cons: For the price, you can get much more playable chips

Unicorn 1.jpg
Unicorn 2.jpg
Unicorn 3.jpg

As you can see, you are not getting a review from a chip snob. Never met a rot gut chip I wouldn't try. :wtf:

Color difference is excellent for players with trouble differentiating colors but they are a plastic chip. Guys liked them when we played.
Correction here sorry ...guys didn't like them when we played. Too slippery
Still for sale if anyone wants them but I don't recommend them. Weight and color variance is excellent but just too slippery unless you are just very occasional player

Correction here sorry ...guys didn't like them when we played. Too slippery
Still for sale if anyone wants them but I don't recommend them. Weight and color variance is excellent but just too slippery unless you are just very occasional player
Hmmm, an application for hooker juice? Spray it on your slippery chips and let dry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom